25cm Birkin: What skin do you recommend?

Koga

O.G.
Nov 28, 2005
I am planning to purchase this bag as a daytime bag that would also work when I visit nice restaurants etc. Maybe even for semi formal occasions but I do think that I will reach for my BBK sellier 25 cm guilloche GH instead.

Have tried the 25cm Birkin in many different skins and while my DH likes it in Celeste and Pink (Rose Tyrien and Rose Shocking) those colours are out of my comfort zone. I do love RS in SLG though.

What skin would you recommend that won't be too floppy? I'm thinking togo, chevre mysore or even fjord. I have never seen a 25made in Fjord. Is it not suitable for a smaller sized bag or is Fjord getting more rare nowadays?

I usually prefer PH but I loved the look of GH combined with black leather in the 25 Birkin. My style is classic and I dress mostly in DvF-wraps or cashmere sweathers with jeans and jodphurs.

Epsom, Swift, box and exotics are not skins I would consider at the moment. I would like a sturdy leather that will keep it's shape in a nice way. I know many H-aficionados seem to favor Chevre but my CDC-souple Kelly is well rather too souple for my taste. Is Chevre Mysore more rigid? How about corner wear?

If anyone has a picture of a Kelly or Birkin in fmord I would love to see it.

Any input or suggestion would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

i think fjord would make such a small bag stiff and not very manageable i think something like togo or ever calf is better because i have seen it in epsom and its a bit hard to open close etc. hope it helps darling !!

Birkel: I have tried a black 25 Birkin in Togo and it did look more dressy and elegant with GH which is the look I'm after. A leather to seriously consider...Actually i do like very stiff leathers. I'm rather suprised Fjord is not more common because it's one of my favourite leathers for B-bags.
Wonder if the matte velvety leather would look nice in a smaller sized 25 Birkin? Sometimes Fjord has a lot of veins but so does Togo from time to time.
Accessorize*me: You always have great advice! Chevre bags tend to loose their shape quick don't they? Don't even get me started about Chevre Mangalore. I do love lizard especially in bright colours but my next Birkin will mainly be my daytime bag for shopping etc. According to my mom and friends those bags are delicate and maybe more appropriate for evening occasions. I would love one in the future though:graucho:
Madam Bijoux: Maybe I was too quick to rule out Swift? I guess I have never been to crazy of Epsom and Swift in the past. Swift seems delicate and I have seen many B-bags loosing their shape quickly in 30-35cm.

I love epsom in size 30. I have never seen it in a 25. The only 25 I have it's lizard and I think it's the perfect size for that kind of leather. I agree on swift, it would be lovely, but I am afraid it would slouch with time, while epsom will be stiff forever.

Reactions: AttaGal
I also adore fjord leather and when I asked about the availability of fjord in a 25cm B, I was told that 25cm Bs were not made in fjord. The smallest available in fjord was a 30cm.

I actually would go with Togo -- I think that smaller bags tend to hold their shape more easily and Togo would let you dress the B both up and down. I personally don't like the smoothness of swift.

Koga, If you like the bag keep its shape, I think epsom is a good choice, I have a 25 B in epsom and a Croc in a 25 as well, but I use my epsom more often, a very practical bag,I use it day to night. especially when I am shopping.

If you choose epsom you will have more color option. People worry about scratches on epsom but a smaller bag will has less chance bump into things...

Why not take advantage of the epsom right now? H is offering so many option on epsom..

lvdreamer: Too bad Fjord is not offered in 25's. Fjord is such a wonderful skin for Birkins.
LQYB: I have tried quite a few Epsom baby Birkins but this leather just doesn't sing to me. It reminds me of veau Couchevel. Epsom is getting popular and is indeed offered in many colour options at the moment. In black I would like a leather which feels more "alive" and less plasticky. It's just my personal opinion and I know there are many H-customars who loves Epsom. Your croc 25 sounds divine! What a perfect bag for dressy occasion.
IFFAH: Thank you very much for the link! Lots of eye candy and it gave me some ideas what to get in the future. My SA actually suggested Tadelakt as an option. At this point I'm leaning more towards Togo than CM. I do use my BBK sellier 25 cm guilloche GH very often and the size is perfect for a petite frame. Took me quite a while to find the right size. Guilloche and box is the ultimate combination!

I'm also intrigued to know more about Vache Trekking after being shown one in 30. I was told it's sturdy but more expensive than any other non exotic leather. Does anyone have experience with Vache Trekking in smaller sized Birkins? How would you compare this leather with Togo?

If you're looking for a super crisp leather with a bit of grain, epsom can be stellar but it depends on the color. The brights can be a bit too much in epsom. It is indestructible though. I would never go with togo for something that small, the grain is too large. I think the chevre would probably be fine in something that tiny. I would never do it for a 35, but in a 25 or even a 30 it will be pretty stiff because of the lining. Swift is also a good alternative to chevre. A bit more satiny in texture than chevre, but all in all the most similar in the way it reflects light and takes color, and it is ever so slightly more rigid. And if you want the classic pristine look, you can't beat box. But box is not for the OCD among us. It will get scuffs at first but you have to be patient while it develops it's famous patina. I'm sure it will turn out beautiful however you decide though. Hermes has a way of not letting you mess up too badly.

I am planning to purchase this bag as a daytime bag that would also work when I visit nice restaurants etc. Maybe even for semi formal occasions but I do think that I will reach for my BBK sellier 25 cm guilloche GH instead.

Have tried the 25cm Birkin in many different skins and while my DH likes it in Celeste and Pink (Rose Tyrien and Rose Shocking) those colours are out of my comfort zone. I do love RS in SLG though.

What skin would you recommend that won't be too floppy? I'm thinking togo, chevre mysore or even fjord. I have never seen a 25made in Fjord. Is it not suitable for a smaller sized bag or is Fjord getting more rare nowadays?

I usually prefer PH but I loved the look of GH combined with black leather in the 25 Birkin. My style is classic and I dress mostly in DvF-wraps or cashmere sweathers with jeans and jodphurs.

Epsom, Swift, box and exotics are not skins I would consider at the moment. I would like a sturdy leather that will keep it's shape in a nice way. I know many H-aficionados seem to favor Chevre but my CDC-souple Kelly is well rather too souple for my taste. Is Chevre Mysore more rigid? How about corner wear?

If anyone has a picture of a Kelly or Birkin in fmord I would love to see it.

Any input or suggestion would be highly appreciated! Thank you!