20A Rainbow Reissue - Ended up with 2. Sell now or later?

ann3tt3rz

Jul 28, 2020
Hi everyone,
I somehow ended up with 2 minis that I bought from individuals at a premium.. I want to at least make my money back on the mini I want to sell, but I don't know if I should wait to see if it will increase in price or just sell now while they're hot? Also, I think my mini looks ok... but does it look good to other people? Please tell me your thoughts!! Thank you!!

--------**read below for how I ended up with 2**------------
I could've bought the minis when they first came out, but initially thought they were tacky and underwhelming compared to the runway photos, so I passed. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and I started to become obsessed!!!

Youtube made me do it!! I kept watching videos of unboxings and saw mod shots on youtube and I couldn't get the rainbow minis OUT OF MY MIND!! It looked so understated and way more wearable that I had thought!!

Soooo I searched every platform available (Poshmark, youtube, the real real, fashionphile, 3 facebook groups, instagram etc) for 2 straight weeks and found 1 that I LOVED. She refused to sell to me because I live in the US and she lives in Australia so I bought one of the few available that I liked. Then, the next day, the original owner that I wanted to buy from told me hers was now available... so I bought another. haha... I can't afford to keep two... can you help me?

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

If you need the money now, definitely sell now even if you lose a couple hundred dollars. You never know what will happen with the luxury market especially with the current state of the world. However, if you don't need the money immediately and have a bit of risk tolerance, I think you should wait.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt since I've never been in this situation, but from what I've observed, seasonal colors seem to be most in-demand 2-3 seasons after the season has been released. People see the bag a ton on social media, realize they missed out, search desperately for it and then pay a premium (people on IG have DM'ed me offers that are over retail price for my 20C grey CF now that it's nowhere to be found in stores). I think if you wait much longer than that people will have moved on to something else.

If you can't keep both due to your financial situation, I'd definitely sell one right now while it's still in high demand. I'm sure you can sell it at a premium cost that you paid for. They are going for over retail right now. Not sure if you can make profit out of it tho since you paid over retail yourself. I see so many of them available through ig personal shoppers right now. I don't think you should wait too long to sell it. One example I can give you is the Chanel script brooch. It was the most popular few seasons back and hard to find. However, it's a classic piece now and I see so many available at boutiques. Good luck deciding!

Chanel don’t repeat same bags styles yes broocon
If you can't keep both due to your financial situation, I'd definitely sell one right now while it's still in high demand. I'm sure you can sell it at a premium cost that you paid for. They are going for over retail right now. Not sure if you can make profit out of it tho since you paid over retail yourself. I see so many of them available through ig personal shoppers right now. I don't think you should wait too long to sell it. One example I can give you is the Chanel script brooch. It was the most popular few seasons back and hard to find. However, it's a classic piece now and I see so many available at boutiques. Good luck deciding!
I don’t think example with script brooch it’s correct yes some custom jewellery become permanent line but Chanel never repeat same bags styles ,l think this bag will be worth even more once it’s completely sold out l don’t think Chanel will bring it back again this bag

Reactions: ann3tt3rz
Chanel don’t repeat same bags styles yes broocon
I don’t think example with script brooch it’s correct yes some custom jewellery become permanent line but Chanel never repeat same bags styles ,l think this bag will be worth even more once it’s completely sold out l don’t think Chanel will bring it back again this bag
The OP said "I can't afford to keep two" and I take that as OP can't keep the extra bag and need to sell it soon. If it's really popular and sell out fast, maybe Chanel will release it again in the future. Maybe a rainbow classic flap. Let me give a better example: the popular vanity bag with chain. It came out in caviar before and completely sold out. However, due to popular demand, Chanel released it again in lamb with gold plate. No one can really predict the market price in the future (more so with the current COVID-19 situation) and reissue is not as popular as classic flap.

Reactions: ann3tt3rz
The OP said "I can't afford to keep two" and I take that as OP can't keep the extra bag and need to sell it soon. If it's really popular and sell out fast, maybe Chanel will release it again in the future. Maybe a rainbow classic flap. Let me give a better example: the popular vanity bag with chain. It came out in caviar before and completely sold out. However, due to popular demand, Chanel released it again in lamb with gold plate. No one can really predict the market price in the future (more so with the current COVID-19 situation) and reissue is not as popular as classic flap.
yeah, I really shouldn't keep both. And I follow your vanity bag example because I wanted the vanity bag so badly and was willing to pay over retail until I saw it came out again and then my desire fizzled out.

Reactions: kylienarak
I had one bag a few years ( the croc mini embossed gold) which I loved at the time but after a year I felt the bad was too harsh and not a soft color with my wardrobe. Upon listing it, I was shocked to find that the price was so marked up - I made money on the bag! Wasn’t expecting it and it was a nice surprise so I will say you can gamble and sell in a few years when it runs out or sell it now and most probably break even or have it sell slightly more. I know the iridescent pink bags also have a fan following and was even asked by a friend if I would let it go since she can’t find it. Chanel does crazy things to people