2023 Resolution: Shopping my Own Bags and SLG Collection

A long standing tradition in this thread is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

• New theme weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show old pictures from previous years to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

So what are the showcases? In the Fall, we group our bags by makers! Feel free to show bags, small leather goods, or however it is easiest to organize!

August 13 - Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta

August 20 - Burberry, Celine

August 27 - Coach, Chanel

September 3 - Chloe, Dior

September 10 - Dooney & Bourke, Fendi

September 17 - Ferragamo, Givenchy

September 24 - Goyard, Gucci

October 1 - Hermes, Kate Spade

October 8 - Loewe, Longchamp

October 15 - Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs

October 22 - Michael Kors, Miu Miu

October 29 - Mulberry, Prada

November 5 - Proenza Schouler, Rebecca Minkoff

November 12 - Saint Laurent, Tods

November 19 - Tory Burch, Valentino

November 26 - Bags by Jewelers: Bulgari, Cartier, Tiffany Co, Van Cleef & Arpels. Alternatively, the pillboxes, compacts and other lovelies made by jewelers that fit in your bag.

December 3 - independent artisans and custom bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even know where to start

I will probably take something like a plastic carrier to put my bag in at some points, because I'll most likely have to put it on the floor at the art gallery and at the dentist (there's no room for an extra chair).

Shoes/boots have to be totally walkable as my dentist has her practice in the middle on the longest road and the stations are at either end (there is a park car park behind but I'm going by rail).

I can only think I need to take a weekender bag (clutch? inside) with me and take extras including make-up bag.

I'm exhausted already :biggrin:
I used to have a roommate, back in the day, who chose her shoes first and then built the outfit around them. Might be a good thing to do in this situation.

Question- if money was no object, would your style change (and to what?) or would it stay the same? If it stayed the same, would you upgrade and how? Would that extend beyond wardrobe/accessories and to what areas? How?

I think my personal style would stay the same but I would upgrade on material/fit/finish in clothing and have more things tailored. I would not change anything for jewelry, accessories or shoes except add a few premium belts. I would add a few luxe pieces of glass or ceramics…works of art. A few small pieces like end tables/nightstands/coffee table. A few gorgeous rugs. I love my house (more and more each day…it had become my forever home) and car, so nothing there. I would upgrade all my appliances and a few pieces of cookware. Put hardwoods upstairs. Reno my primary bath without compromise and truly finish the basement, hardscape the backyard without doing it myself and pay someone to tweak the landscaping.

I think I find too much joy in being thrifty to overhaul everything. And it’s too much a part of my DNA…literally! Lol

Question- if money was no object, would your style change (and to what?) or would it stay the same? If it stayed the same, would you upgrade and how? Would that extend beyond wardrobe/accessories and to what areas? How?

I think my personal style would stay the same but I would upgrade on material/fit/finish in clothing and have more things tailored. I would not change anything for jewelry, accessories or shoes except add a few premium belts. I would add a few luxe pieces of glass or ceramics…works of art. A few small pieces like end tables/nightstands/coffee table. A few gorgeous rugs. I love my house (more and more each day…it had become my forever home) and car, so nothing there. I would upgrade all my appliances and a few pieces of cookware. Put hardwoods upstairs. Reno my primary bath without compromise and truly finish the basement, hardscape the backyard without doing it myself and pay someone to tweak the landscaping.

I think I find too much joy in being thrifty to overhaul everything. And it’s too much a part of my DNA…literally! Lol
I don’t think my style would change but I would move to a different neighborhood and would have a personal shopper get my clothes.

I used to have a roommate, back in the day, who chose her shoes first and then built the outfit around them. Might be a good thing to do in this situation.

Not shoes but bag as a start. I know brown is weird for cocktails but I have a brown velvet Saint Laurant PoW check jacket @Vintage Leather le Smoking suggestion. I think my vintage and new Saint Laurent black LS pieces are too evening for earlier in the day.

Ostrich clutch, compact, low key but has 'something' (fits phone card and jeys, I checked)

What do people think?

IMG_20230125_153611.jpg

I wouldnt change a thing. My number one requirement is being comfortable in all aspects of my life. Clothings, houses, travelling, career and on and on.
Even pets benefits from that philosophy. No discomfort for anyone here.
If anything is a deal, even better:biggrin:

Will the member’s only have a bag check?

Because I’m thinking a Le Smoking style suit with either a vibrant blouse or crisp white blouse - add visual interest with a comfortable loafer or driving shoe in metallic leather or a vibrant color. (Unless you do own a pair of 12 hr heels) If you decide to do jewelry for the evening, I’d add oversized or surrealist or otherwise spectacular earrings.
Alternatively, do a Tom Ford ‘96 and skip the earrings, wear the blouse mostly open and have a really vibrant scarf.

If there’s a bag check, I’d grab a plain tote that you can fit a garment sleeve into, and then start my day at the art instillation wearing the shoes, pants and blouse. Substitute a teeshirt or inexpensive blouse at the dentist (fluids!). At tea, duck away to the necessary and change back to your blouse, do makeup and add the jacket. When you get to the party, check your big bag and withdraw your tiny extravagant clutch that compliments the shoes.
Excellent plan!

I picked up this cutie this weekend. Just could NOT resist. I loved this clutch when they first came out but I’ve never been a huge fan of Celine’s canvas prints (or anybody’s canvas prints, usually).

When I saw they did an all leather version, it was kind of all over.

View attachment 5700197
Wow - I love the leather!

I wouldn't change my style.

I would hire a full time handy-person and yard-person. Someone to fix all the million little things that go wrong in a house; someone to paint, caulk, replace/install and repair. Someone to rake, mulch, weed, mow, trim and fertilize.
It would be SO marvelous to just be able to say 'Hey Gary - this needs fixed. Thank you!' Instead of calling 10 places trying to get someone out, and then having to wait a week or three before they can get here.

I love* our house, but I would remodel a few things:
I would like a bigger eating area in the kitchen and I would build a small 'vestibule' between the main bedroom and the entry/hall/living room/dining room area. I'd re-configure the basement and have a wine cellar that all of our wine would fit into with room for more. (HA!)
I would re-grade the backyard to get rid of the drainage issue our neighbors caused, and change out some trees.

*I love it, but I also realize it is much more house than we need - but I can't find anything of comparable quality for even remotely close to what we paid for this 20 years ago. So we stay... I figure the stairs are good for us, and we get lots of steps in going from one end to the other. :lol:

Not shoes but bag as a start. I know brown is weird for cocktails but I have a brown velvet Saint Laurant PoW check jacket @Vintage Leather le Smoking suggestion. I think my vintage and new Saint Laurent black LS pieces are too evening for earlier in the day.

Ostrich clutch, compact, low key but has 'something' (fits phone card and jeys, I checked)

What do people think?

View attachment 5700541
I think it's fantastic!

I'd say my personal style would stay the same but I'd buy DH another house so I can have some more closet space (he has rather a lot of keyboards and photography equipment - as well as 90% of a wardrobe he never wears).

I'd probably end-up saving money because I'd just buy the jewellery I want now and not having to save-up and pile on 10%-ish x 2 per annum due to their greedy price-increases.

I think I would put a lot of money into one of my houses. It could be breathtaking. It's not worth that much because of the remote location, so it's not financially advised, but if I had the money I wouldn't care.

I actually turned down a prize (from the US) I won today. I entered a competition and won a prize worth around £800 a while ago. When it arrived I had to pay £200-ish on my 'free-gift' :smash: I don't need anything (more time would be nice) I asked if they could give it to a more deserving person.

I’d change my car style. See attached pic.

I’d move from an apartment to a luxury condo. The style (paint, flooring, light fixtures, etc) would be my personal style, not generic apartment.

I don’t I don’t think my décor style would change, but the quality of my furniture, décor, art, etc would get massively upgraded. I’d add plenty of designer pieces.

Clothing/shoe style would become much nicer, and add some designer items. But the basic style wouldn't change.

I’d get my extremely short Wish List jewelry items, but other than that my jewelry style wouldn’t change.

I’d add to my designer sunglasses collection, and buy some perfumes I want.original.jpg

What do people think?

View attachment 5700541
Understated but very special bag! I know you own the clothes to complete the picture and will stand out from the usual evening black in a very sophisticated way!

My style would stay the same, I´m sure and most of my things would still be second hand, but maybe of the more expensive variety amnd I´d definetely buy even more... And I guess this big old mess of a house we are camping in would get the renovations it needs so I wouldn´t drown in the piles of vintage around me, but have wardrobes and shelves and more space.
My car would switch back to a Volvo 245. When money is no issue you still find them as good as new.
And I would probably travel more and maybe even get to know how it feels to sit in a cocktail bar or to buy an expensive coffee-to-go. (Not sure, though, as I start to physically gag when I know food or drink are too expensive.)

Sorry to give you all the minutiae:

So far, I think I'm wearing for impossible day out.

Saint Laurent brown velvet jacket (thank you @Vintage Leather )
Hermes black and browns Brazil maxi-twilly (worn long - it's very long)
Brown Pickett London ostrich clutch (going in another bag)
Possibly large Chloe Bay (if I can find it) to put everything inside. This bag can go on a floor, I don't mind, it cleans well.
Mini skirt/dress in black or brown (or grey) I have new Balmain leather (maybe bit too dominatrix LOL) or older fine black suede
Not sure top if skirt but possibly again as @Vintage Leather wrote earlier
Opaque tights /leggings
Take make-up / don't wear it until after the dentist
Hat/hair?

Shoes/boots?
Saint Laurent Lou suede 70 boots (not if it's raining they're fine suede)
Hermes officially burgundy (but more like aubergine) Nadége - lace-up heels
Other heeled ankle boots?
Or bring heels

Ignore me, I'm just writing this all down so I won't forget.

BTW, going through my things for this, not only did I find my ostrich clutch, but also my H Brazil Maxi-twilly, 4 other H scarves, a priceless Gianni Versace vintage piece from the mid '90s, a vintage 1960s Gucci scarf I thought I'd lost (need s clean!) and fab Brazilian garnet ring I mislaid. Plus, I cleared out a whole bag for the charity shop (collection tomorrow morning).