2023 Resolution: Shopping my Own Bags and SLG Collection

A long standing tradition in this thread is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

• New theme weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show old pictures from previous years to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

So what are the showcases? In the Fall, we group our bags by makers! Feel free to show bags, small leather goods, or however it is easiest to organize!

August 13 - Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta

August 20 - Burberry, Celine

August 27 - Coach, Chanel

September 3 - Chloe, Dior

September 10 - Dooney & Bourke, Fendi

September 17 - Ferragamo, Givenchy

September 24 - Goyard, Gucci

October 1 - Hermes, Kate Spade

October 8 - Loewe, Longchamp

October 15 - Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs

October 22 - Michael Kors, Miu Miu

October 29 - Mulberry, Prada

November 5 - Proenza Schouler, Rebecca Minkoff

November 12 - Saint Laurent, Tods

November 19 - Tory Burch, Valentino

November 26 - Bags by Jewelers: Bulgari, Cartier, Tiffany Co, Van Cleef & Arpels. Alternatively, the pillboxes, compacts and other lovelies made by jewelers that fit in your bag.

December 3 - independent artisans and custom bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent two bags to consignment this month. With disposable income falling month after month, I am not expecting them to sell any time soon. Wish I had done this earlier. Interesting about the zipper thing. I hate zippers but am eyeing a bolide. Waiting for the price to drop more. I am think my love for the leather and the color will outweigh zipper repulsion. I want it for a travel bag and that is the one place that zippers are good IMHO.
I am with you on that, for travel I prefer zippers too.

In case I wasn’t sure I made the right decision…I keep looking at pics of it, get that little tingle when I do and did a happy dance inside when I got the notice it had shipped. Told my DS I chose a watch over a bag and he was surprised. Showed the pic to him and asked what he thought and if it looked like me. He said “Ooooo…that’s nice! Yep. It’s you.” The name Cartier means nothing to him, he doesn’t even know what that is, so…

It is scheduled to arrive by Friday. Hope I don’t gnaw my fingers off in anticipation!View attachment 5704131
It’s the medium. Will be worn just a little loose…to play into the masculine edge but still elegant and bracelet-like. And it is the same size as the “new” TF in Small. It is not any thicker than the “old” Small so not bulkier and no wider or thicker than the case of the two Tissots I have. Squeeeeee!!!!!
It's lovely - congratulations!

I sent two bags to consignment this month. With disposable income falling month after month, I am not expecting them to sell any time soon. Wish I had done this earlier. Interesting about the zipper thing. I hate zippers but am eyeing a bolide. Waiting for the price to drop more. I am think my love for the leather and the color will outweigh zipper repulsion. I want it for a travel bag and that is the one place that zippers are good IMHO.

As @Cookiefiend brought-up, closure ( :biggrin: ) is one of the chief considerations buying and using a bag

The good thing with a Bolide (and Plume) is you don't have to zip and un-zip all the time. The handles are short and they hold the sides together without it being done up.
The Plume's handles are a bit longer but only because the start so far down the bag, it will stay shut carrying without being zippered. Unlike flap bags I can use the both as totes (carrying more than I should or a bottle the right way up etc).

I often find some flap bags can be even more annoying, if I can't quite get 'the thing in the thing' quickly I feel like an idiot.

Kiss-lock handbags have to have the perfect tension, too tight and they'll break one's fingernails, too loose and they pop open with anything over the minimum.

I quite like my Blondie and Aphrodite magnetic closure, but I am worried about putting things that rely on magnetic strips inside.

Closures are another reason why I like the Bamboo Top-handles, they're very definite. The only issues are when people have literally been mistreating them. Same with the press-release mechanisms. Some preloved bags must have been owned by primates, so heavy handed.

What are other people's thoughts on closures?

Agree with many others. Closure type is a big factor when choosing a bag for me.

I do not like a fussy closure. Simple and straightforward is all I need.
Most of my bags are flap bags with a twist/turn or push lock closure.
My YSL clutch is a solid magnetic clasp that just opens and closes easily.
I have on YSL flap bag with a magnetic closure and it's a solid magnet that snaps into place easily.

Zippers are fine as long as they do not get stuck or are in awkward hard to reach places (like I've heard about the mini Jodie)
I enjoy my prada re-issue and have not had any problems.

I'm generally not a fan of open bags due to safety concerns. I am more aware of them when I bring them out. I usually hold the bag in the crook of my arm in front of me or wearing as a shoulder bag, close to the body.

As @Cookiefiend brought-up, closure ( :biggrin: ) is one of the chief considerations buying and using a bag

The good thing with a Bolide (and Plume) is you don't have to zip and un-zip all the time. The handles are short and they hold the sides together without it being done up.
The Plume's handles are a bit longer but only because the start so far down the bag, it will stay shut carrying without being zippered. Unlike flap bags I can use the both as totes (carrying more than I should or a bottle the right way up etc).

I often find some flap bags can be even more annoying, if I can't quite get 'the thing in the thing' quickly I feel like an idiot.

Kiss-lock handbags have to have the perfect tension, too tight and they'll break one's fingernails, too loose and they pop open with anything over the minimum.

I quite like my Blondie and Aphrodite magnetic closure, but I am worried about putting things that rely on magnetic strips inside.

Closures are another reason why I like the Bamboo Top-handles, they're very definite. The only issues are when people have literally been mistreating them. Same with the press-release mechanisms. Some preloved bags must have been owned by primates, so heavy handed.

Ha. I love zippers. (Of course they must move smoothly, have an easy-to-find pull, and not be in complicated-to-reach places.).

Looking at my bags, all of my daytime bags have zippers. They all also hold together pretty well even unzipped, but I am the mistress of accidentally turning my bag upside-down, so zippers are a lifesaver.

My evening/event bags are a random mix of press-release, snap, magnetic, kisslock, drawstring, turnlock, and one zipper - on the fur muff with convenient zippered compartment. I guess in bags carried for pure prettiness I'm more forgiving. Or they're tiny and if I do dump them upside-down I have less to pick up.

Agree with many others. Closure type is a big factor when choosing a bag for me.

I do not like a fussy closure. Simple and straightforward is all I need.
Most of my bags are flap bags with a twist/turn or push lock closure.
My YSL clutch is a solid magnetic clasp that just opens and closes easily.
I have on YSL flap bag with a magnetic closure and it's a solid magnet that snaps into place easily.

Zippers are fine as long as they do not get stuck or are in awkward hard to reach places (like I've heard about the mini Jodie)
I enjoy my prada re-issue and have not had any problems.

I'm generally not a fan of open bags due to safety concerns. I am more aware of them when I bring them out. I usually hold the bag in the crook of my arm in front of me or wearing as a shoulder bag, close to the body.

Oh, I LOVE a good turn-lock!!!

And the MJ purhlocks are so easy. But they make a statement, so people have to like the look too.

I am team zipper! Definitely for travel, but even for daily use. I've had too many unintentional bag spills when a bag is dropped, falls over in the car, gets knocked off the back of my chair, whatever. I need protection from my own clumsiness. Turnlock, flap, and magnets are better than nothing, but my confidence in them varies by bag. The magnet in my Gucci web nymphaea is amazing and keeps the entire bag shut tight. I have other magnet-closure bags that are less trustworthy.

And I'm not usually a stat person, but in January nothing in and 3 big bags of donations out. I'm trying to be more mindful overall (what I eat, what I wear, what I purchase) this year and am pleased with the start so far.

Closures are critical. A bag being too big or the closure being difficult for me are the chief reasons I rehome bags. Strap length and comfort are important to me also. Bags just have to feel right.

I love kiss locks but I have none of those now. Magnetic is great too, but I only have one of those. I don't always feel like the magnets on both sides line up without a little attention. One magnet is on a strap closure and the other is in the side of the bag and I have to aim the strap. Not annoying enough that I would ever get rid of that bag. It was a whimsey buy that has turned out to be a favorite because it so so functional.

Reading other peoples' post, just realized I don't have a problem with bag spills. My problem is being a bulldozer if the bag is too big--I mow people and things down.

One of the things this thread has taught me - is that the closure *is* important!

I hate a fussy closure too - and while I have a couple bags that could qualify as fussy (the Kelly, Dalvy and Lederer) - I just don't do up the fussy part. I have one flap bag that is annoying (the Drag - because the flap is large and stiff due to the box leather), but the beauty of the bag makes me keep it. The other flap bags either have an easy closure or a magnetic clasp.

My Lady Dior has a zipper but I only use it when I might be concerned about someone getting into it - when we were in Paris last year, I zipped it shut. Same with the LV Pallas and MZ Wallace Micro Sutton.
Essentially to me - they are totes. :heart:

I love totes - I just want to see in there easily, drop things in or pull them out easy.
I rarely have issues with things falling out when driving... I follow my FIL's advice and treat every other car like an elephant with diarrhea and stay well back. Also, I fortunately live in an area with a low crime rate - it's a little town. When I go into 'The City' (:rolleyes:), it is still pretty darn safe and I'm not likely to have an issue*. If I did have an issue - I'd just give them the purse... nothing in there is irreplaceable.

* I am of course still aware of my surroundings, and the people around me. I grew up in the city, and still remember.

I don’t usually do stats, but here’s to trying something new!

Bags In: 0
Bags Out: 0
SLGs In: 1 (lululemon, so maybe doesn’t count by my rules?)
SLGs Out: 0
Jewelry In: 3
Jewelry Out: 3

For the jewelry, I traded in two pairs of small diamond stud earrings and a diamond toe ring (ah, the early aughts!) for a larger pair of diamond studs to wear with a set of earring jackets that have been collecting dust, a small pair of diamond hoops and a diamond tennis bracelet. All in white gold. I am going to try to sell 10+ pieces of fine jewelry I no longer wear, plus some Tiffany silver pieces and a John Hardy bracelet. I have also identified about seven luxury bags, five luxury SLGs and a pair of designer shoes that I want to see if one of the big resale sites will buy from me. I would try selling myself, but I have zero patience outside of our site at work, where luxury will be hard to move.

I don’t have my donation list in front of me, but I probably have 50, or so, items there, all bagged up and ready to move out. Plus I pulled maybe 15 items to list on our resale site at work (mostly Alex & Ani, Pandora and vintage Longaberger, which will move there). And I took in some clothing my daughter has long outgrown for a work colleague whose daughter is much younger than mine.

I only purchased two pieces of clothing: A pair of lululemon shorts I had previously considered that were now on sale and a top to go with a pair of pajama bottoms I already own. And I got a lululemon card case because it was in my favorite color combination (light pink and gray!). I took in a pair of velvet leggings for hemming, as I prefer 25” and will wear them more at the right length (plus free hemming). I broke down and bought a pair of Ugg slipper shoes that were on sale (because light gray).

For the tailor, I have to take in two pairs of jeans for tapering, a top for shortening, a dress to take in at the bust and a dress to have the pockets cut out. They are pieces I love and this will make them more wearable.

I dipped my toes into Poshmark and Mercari for a couple of hard-to-find/promotional/discontinued items I have been eyeing and have done OK. Nothing major and most sellers have been easy to work with, ship fast, items were authentic/as described, etc. I’m only questioning the authenticity of one purchase, but it wasn’t anything expensive, so I can live with the mistake. Poshmark has such high shipping fees, though, that it’s cost-prohibitive for the small ticket items I’m on the hunt for.

All in all, I’m feeling pretty good about my goals for this year. We’ll see what February brings…

ETA: I also have about 50 items for my local consignment store, which I hope to drop off this week, or next, so it’s out of my house. It’s mostly clothing, but there is some jewelry and home items, too. (They love Lilly Pulitzer and lululemon, so those items all go there.)

It sounds like your purchases are all well thought out.

Although Poshmark shipping fees are high for small items, they are actually more reasonable than other sites for heavier items. The great thing about Poshmark is the bundle option. If you can find several items from one seller, you can put them all in one bundle and only pay one shipping fee, as long as the total weight is under 5 pounds. When I ship small things through Poshmark, I still put them in a box, like the small flat rate box, when on other sites I would be using an envelope to keep shipping costs down.

I'm liking this monthly tally, it's fun reading everyone's! Here is mine for January 2023:

Bags Out: 4 (all Coach)
Bags In: 1 (pre-loved PS1 Tiny in excellent condition, bought from the Fashionphile LNY sale)

SLGs Out: 2 (Coach again)
SLGs In: 0 (I was extremely tempted by the Loewe Howl's collection and nearly died when I got the early notification email yesterday. However, the one piece I wanted was sold out, and I wasn't in love with the remaining options. The FOMO nearly tempted me into buying one though!)

Overall, I had some great luck with selling items on Poshmark. Too much luck, maybe, since I triggered the dreaded 1099. I have a few more bags I'm considering selling through them, but really need to think on them some more.

Adjustments from my first post:
I'm modifying my 2023 wishlist to remove the Leo et Violette bag after doing some research on it. I still want a Strathberry Cabas, but I'm thinking of changing to the mini size. I also do want another PS1 bag in a fun color, undecided between another tiny and the medium though.

I also need to focus more on rotating my bags since I primarily used the same two in January.