2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the Fendi Baguette (such a brilliant name) but wasn't trustworthy in its heyday. I was obsessed by the Spy, particularly the cw that @cowgirlsboots has, but living a very urban student life and carrying books/tech in a sturdy Burberry messenger (I actually wore out after constant wear). I would love a Fendi First but must sit on my hands as the name of this thread suggests I should.

This is the kind of sanity and restraint I need to keep in front of my eyes right now. I went into the red to purchase my last bag, and I'm not proud of that. More sitting on my hands!

Of course it does! I put up some special shelves for the designer bags, contemporarys go on the top shelf of the rack. Luckily the previous owner had rack shelves that were almost 16” deep, so plenty big enough for my mostly mid-sized bag collection. I will post closet pics tomorrow, with my vintage rehab Fendis and Ferragamo. Here are some house pics…I took them the other day, so there is still some clutter as we are bringing the last bits from the old house and there is some furniture and decor we left behind for staging (like a second sofa) that will complete everything.View attachment 5264744View attachment 5264745View attachment 5264746View attachment 5264747View attachment 5264751View attachment 5264752View attachment 5264753View attachment 5264755View attachment 5264756View attachment 5264757

I love your house! Thank-you so much for sharing the photos!
My Mum used to love the red carpets I spotted in your photos. Carpets were her "handbags" and she had many of them in the house.

When I see this bag, I'm immediately transported to my mother's apartment that was in the S of France in 2004. I bought a fashion collection magazine, saw the Spy on the Fendi accessories page and was obsessed. I never bought one, but I still have that feeling of lust at first sight (and every time I saw one IRL).

This is not the kind of bag that has to suit us.The Spy, like the H Kelly and other bags that are often a pain + 1/2 to use are for us to live up to and thank our higher power deal we actually are allowed to have one. There has to be some drawbacks to owning fashion icons LOL :winkiss:

Aww, you make me laugh @papertiger and you are so right: this bag is an icon which I can be grateful to own as I got her at a bargain price and against all expectations she polished up really well. And she is demanding- a real diva in her heavy , lazy floppiness. On top of everything she is purple- a colour I simply don´t do... still I love her.
When I sold her a while ago and had her returned to me because she allegedly was in an unacceptable shape and smelly too I felt so offended- in a double way. Offended myself, because my listing was very clear and she definetely was not smelly and offended on behalf of the Spy whom at her age and being made of soft leather has every right to have a little bit of rubbing here and there. That´s character, not disgusting!

She might well stay with me... maybe one day I live up to her.

And, speaking of open bags, the first Longchamp I bought was the Roseau tote in white with blue* embroidered cherry blossoms. I was taking an intensive German course in Bamberg and saw it in a shop window and fell in love.

I apologize for the wrinkly gray throw - my couch is red so I thought it would be a distracting background but the throw may be worse. :/

Aaalll the Longchamps:

View attachment 5264891

Back row: Roseau L Sakura, Le Pliage Neo, Le Pliage Neo Op’Art, Le Pliage Neo Stars**
Front row: Le Pliage Cuir S in purple, gray, dark red, and black
Left: Le Foulonné WoC, red and pink key holders, pink, blue, purple and silver pouches

Please excuse the general floppiness going on here - I usually store the Pliages with the coordinating Neos stuffed inside, but these are just fundamentally floppy bags.

I've never liked the classic fabric Le Pliages. I know they're classic, and useful, but... But I'm a sucker for "reimaginings" and the Cuirs are much more to my taste as well. I like that they're hands-free and can hold a ton. The downside is that they can hold a TON, which my shoulder eventually tells me about, and they are black holes where everything disappears. I keep buying organizers, which also make them nicely less-floppy, and then not using them.***. And these are the small Cuirs!

*I know, cherry blossoms are not blue. But this is so pretty!
**Black satin stars on the black background photograph poorly, but are cool in real life. I think cookie has the small Le Pliage in this pattern...
***Extra weight, and/or things sliding under the organizer and disappearing to my panic.
Those blossoms are gorgeous! I can see why you fell in love!

I don't think that is unsuccessful. I think if it works it works. I Have a bunch of mini crossbody totes from Porland leather Goods that really work for me. I have more expensive bags too but, the PLG mini is the easiest for me to use, so I do.
I agree. I'm finding my more recent bags are inexpensive. They carry what I want while looking good and are pretty much guilt free in terms of price. I don't have to worry about damaging them like I might with a more expensive bag and I like that I'm not flashing labels.

Oh, I'm sorry. I really don't think you should worry about pickpockets in daily life. I only know that sometimes I'm bad at noticing my surroundings so I pre-compensate by not having open bags (or not having anything important in the open part). And even then I only would worry in big crowds in very touristy places. And yet I (pre-pandemic) love big crowds AND touristy places! :smile:

Usually I have my head in the clouds and am not aware of my surroundings... that´s why when I go to crowded or very touristy places the vintage doctor bags with massive clasps and extra security side clasps are my bags of choice. Nobody will take anything out of a bag like this and if need ever occured the massice clasp would double as a perfect self defense weapon.
I am rather happy my beloved patent New Lock is a bit sticky, too. I don´t have to properly close it. The flap simply sticks down and makes a distinctive sound when being lifted. DH keeps chiding me for not closing the bag properly when we go to markets, though.

Closet and my 2 vintage rehabbed canvas Fendis, blue Ferragamo doctor bag and my chicest Longchamp. I have tried TWICE to buy a leather Longchamp and BOTH times it got lost or stolen in the mail! I also have several other Le Pliages in various colors and sizes (stored folded and in a basket) for travel and rough weather days.

I store all my bags in dust bags and, except for the Hermès, most are not in the corresponding brand, since I buy secondhand/vintage and most do not come with the original bag. Top bag shelf is Hermes, second is LV, third is the Italians.

We have his and hers closets :happydance: The smaller closet and the dresser in the bedroom is his, the bigger one is mine. Eventually, I would like to get a simple white dresser (the bedroom has a rectangular shape and my dresser needs to be in my closet) and solid shelving, paint the walls. We bought a $50 secondhand dresser that turned out to be a piece of crap death trap! Not even worth repainting, though the size/shape is perfect. I asked for a bigger, single jewelry box for Christmas. But I am happy with my closet overall and for now. I need an organized, uncluttered closet, but not a fancy one.:smile:View attachment 5264981View attachment 5264982View attachment 5264983View attachment 5264984View attachment 5264985

Very, very nice!

Reactions: Sunshine mama
Aww, you make me laugh @papertiger and you are so right: this bag is an icon which I can be grateful to own as I got her at a bargain price and against all expectations she polished up really well. And she is demanding- a real diva in her heavy , lazy floppiness. On top of everything she is purple- a colour I simply don´t do... still I love her.
When I sold her a while ago and had her returned to me because she allegedly was in an unacceptable shape and smelly too I felt so offended- in a double way. Offended myself, because my listing was very clear and she definetely was not smelly and offended on behalf of the Spy whom at her age and being made of soft leather has every right to have a little bit of rubbing here and there. That´s character, not disgusting!

She might well stay with me... maybe one day I live up to her.

Sometimes these things happen for a reason. I hope you fall in-love with the Fendi 'diva'.

I had a pair of very expensive like-new, shearing-lined, black, Italian-made, apres-ski boots that my father had bought me. They were amazing. Sheepskin inside, goat hair/suede on the outer, with thick tractor soles. I decided to sell them as I had a new Mou Mou pair that were more fashionable at the time. I sold them very cheaply (less than 1/8 of the original) only for the woman to return them as she said the material wasn't shearling inside but wool fleece :rolleyes: . Probably one of the few people in the world not to know that shearling-lining means (reverse) sheepskin. Sheep = wool. I kept them and now they're a godsend for the Winter in the mountainous region where I live (Scotland). We often have snow and sometimes it's freezing cold for weeks.

I love your closet! But OMG that kitchen island!! I am green with envy!
Thank you! The kitchen and backyard were the selling points for me. As soon as I saw them, that was it—the rest was checking boxes. After living in a house that got little direct sunlight and had a dark galley kitchen with one little window to a shaded side yard with a view of my hoarder neighbors old shipping boxes….:hbeat: