2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fun bag! In my opinion you did well taking her home! I love the print- it´s in such an edgy contrast to the the shape of the bag.

I really hear you re being stressed leads to selling and buying. It´s the need to do something!
At the moment I do have a strong urge to clear out the mess that calls itself my home, too.

There are too many shoes, clothes and maybe bags.
Though I went through almost all of the latter and did not find any I´m not in love with. So far they all are keepers. I have one cupboard left to check... Clothes and shoes both are still waiting for the big purge. I really need to drag out all the suitcases and boxes and do a Cinderella: The good ones go into the pot, the bad ones go into your crop.
My cowgirl´s boots collection is on display and I already went through it with an iron comb. Everything that does not fit me is leaving! Lots already have. I´m only keeping the really good ones!

And on the other hand... there´s a nice bag (or two?) I spotted... I´m still thinkng about it, do I really need it? (No!) Do I really like it? (Generally yes, but it depends on the quality I can´t judge before holding it in my hands...)

Meanwhile I keep sewing. I´ve been a bit deflated about sewing since a cheap fashion pencil skirt I bought without even trying it on while shopping with my daughter fits me better than the one I made to measure for myself, spending three days on the fit fine tuning. It´s not much more than a tube, so stretchy it would fit anybody...
Now I need a challenge. I (very cheaply) bought the remnants of another person´s true vintage 50ies curtains project (aka small pieces with issues) and am trying hard to make a decent dress from part of this haul. It´s coming together very slowly giving me a lot of time to let my thoughts wander. It´s a 50ies design and everything I do has to look the part. No shortcuts, a lot of handsewing.
I know myself: as soon as the execution does not fit the era I will not be happy with the result. The feeling will be off. I made a really nice 40ies dress from some rayon mens´shirts. The fit is great, the true vintage pattern I altered to my own needs is nice, but silly me finished the seams with zig-zag and used a zip that hasn´t been on the German market before the mid 50ies... argh!!!! I should have hand finished them, I should have found a metal zip... but now it´s too late.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Only you will know, and the main thing is that you enjoy wearing it.

I've become frustrated with messes in my home too. Things need organizing but it seems overwhelming. I don't have enough space to have all my bags neatly in one place. Either some have to go or I'll have to come up with better storage. I've been going through my jewelry. There are a lot of things in my daughters' bedrooms I was saving for them, but if they haven't taken them by now, they probably aren't going to. I'll have to go through them all over again to see what should be tossed or donated.

What a fun bag! In my opinion you did well taking her home! I love the print- it´s in such an edgy contrast to the the shape of the bag.

I really hear you re being stressed leads to selling and buying. It´s the need to do something!
At the moment I do have a strong urge to clear out the mess that calls itself my home, too.

There are too many shoes, clothes and maybe bags.
Though I went through almost all of the latter and did not find any I´m not in love with. So far they all are keepers. I have one cupboard left to check... Clothes and shoes both are still waiting for the big purge. I really need to drag out all the suitcases and boxes and do a Cinderella: The good ones go into the pot, the bad ones go into your crop.
My cowgirl´s boots collection is on display and I already went through it with an iron comb. Everything that does not fit me is leaving! Lots already have. I´m only keeping the really good ones!

And on the other hand... there´s a nice bag (or two?) I spotted... I´m still thinkng about it, do I really need it? (No!) Do I really like it? (Generally yes, but it depends on the quality I can´t judge before holding it in my hands...)

Meanwhile I keep sewing. I´ve been a bit deflated about sewing since a cheap fashion pencil skirt I bought without even trying it on while shopping with my daughter fits me better than the one I made to measure for myself, spending three days on the fit fine tuning. It´s not much more than a tube, so stretchy it would fit anybody...
Now I need a challenge. I (very cheaply) bought the remnants of another person´s true vintage 50ies curtains project (aka small pieces with issues) and am trying hard to make a decent dress from part of this haul. It´s coming together very slowly giving me a lot of time to let my thoughts wander. It´s a 50ies design and everything I do has to look the part. No shortcuts, a lot of handsewing.
I know myself: as soon as the execution does not fit the era I will not be happy with the result. The feeling will be off. I made a really nice 40ies dress from some rayon mens´shirts. The fit is great, the true vintage pattern I altered to my own needs is nice, but silly me finished the seams with zig-zag and used a zip that hasn´t been on the German market before the mid 50ies... argh!!!! I should have hand finished them, I should have found a metal zip... but now it´s too late.
Wow you are quite hard on yourself. If it looks fabulous on you wear it anyway. I am often hard on myself too.
I am glad you like my new little bag. It comes with a Crossbody strap too.
Your clearing things out makes me think of having a fresh start. My son now has to go into work again and has a very long commute. So I started uncluttering his room that he has been living in . When he moved back in during the pandemic he tried to squeeze all the things he had in his apartment in his old room. If feels claustrophobic in there to me. So each day I do a bit more.

Last edited:
Don't be too hard on yourself. Only you will know, and the main thing is that you enjoy wearing it.
Wow you are quite hard on yourself. If it looks fabulous on you wear it anyway. I am often hard on myself too.

It´s crazy, isn´t it? Making my sewing so much harder than it has to be- almost an obsession... but honestly, each time I´ve opted for quick and easy- like using the overlock machine on dresses pre late 50ies (where overlock finishing was used for industrially made dresses) after the first joy of finishing quickly I´ve either sold them or unpicked big time to go more traditional. In general I hate repro, so when I sew from true vintage patterns I love to have true vintage fabric or at least a modern fabric with the same haptic and look. And the dreaded very traditional way of making them.
It´s extremely satisfying to look inside a garment and the use of synthetic thread (cotton or silk are both an expensive nuissance to me!) is the only hint that it is not "the real thing".

This time it´s really absurd, though, given I work with old curtain remnants in a kitchen print and the finished product will never be more than a simple day dress. I guess the challenge to make it happen is what´s driving me on. I hope to finish tomorrow and will share photos in case it suits me in the end...

It´s crazy, isn´t it? Making my sewing so much harder than it has to be- almost an obsession... but honestly, each time I´ve opted for quick and easy- like using the overlock machine on dresses pre late 50ies (where overlock finishing was used for industrially made dresses) after the first joy of finishing quickly I´ve either sold them or unpicked big time to go more traditional. In general I hate repro, so when I sew from true vintage patterns I love to have true vintage fabric or at least a modern fabric with the same haptic and look. And the dreaded very traditional way of making them.
It´s extremely satisfying to look inside a garment and the use of synthetic thread (cotton or silk are both an expensive nuissance to me!) is the only hint that it is not "the real thing".

This time it´s really absurd, though, given I work with old curtain remnants in a kitchen print and the finished product will never be more than a simple day dress. I guess the challenge to make it happen is what´s driving me on. I hope to finish tomorrow and will share photos in case it suits me in the end...
You're a true artist!

I've become frustrated with messes in my home too. Things need organizing but it seems overwhelming. I don't have enough space to have all my bags neatly in one place. Either some have to go or I'll have to come up with better storage.
Usually Ilive happily in surroundings that would seem chaotic to most people, but at some point enough is enough and I start to feel suffocated with clutter.
My bags have never been neatly all in one place. Part of them are on display in glass fronted cabinets and on shelves together with my boots collection what would be great, wasn´t said cupboard situated in the multi function household/kitchen room, others are in dustbags high on top of my wardrobe, some are on shelves in my room, more are in dustbags stored inside of several prams and a few lucky ones are on display on top of a pram and on top of a pile of boxes for me to see each day and enjoy... even my spouse said the other day that I´d need a nice space and lots of the white Ikea cubicle shelves all the youtubers seem to have...

Usually Ilive happily in surroundings that would seem chaotic to most people, but at some point enough is enough and I start to feel suffocated with clutter.
My bags have never been neatly all in one place. Part of them are on display in glass fronted cabinets and on shelves together with my boots collection what would be great, wasn´t said cupboard situated in the multi function household/kitchen room, others are in dustbags high on top of my wardrobe, some are on shelves in my room, more are in dustbags stored inside of several prams and a few lucky ones are on display on top of a pram and on top of a pile of boxes for me to see each day and enjoy... even my spouse said the other day that I´d need a nice space and lots of the white Ikea cubicle shelves all the youtubers seem to have...
Based on what I've gleaned about your home, I think Ikea shelves would be out of place. You need something more special.

Just received my Go Forth Goods Bag. I think weight wise it will be fine. It is 1lb and 9.View attachment 5142284View attachment 5142285View attachment 5142286View attachment 51422873/8oz . The strap needs to be softened a bit. I just need to wiggle it a bit to do that. The back pocket I added will be perfect for my phone. It is completely empty in the pictures so once loaded I think it will take shape. All in all quite satisfied. I am going to have fun changing straps and adding a little decoration on it now and then.
It looks great on you. What a beautiful color. And I agree… changing straps will be fun. I think you already own some pretty straps that will match nicely?