2020 Year in Review (Bag Edition)

handbagcrunch

Oct 16, 2018
I'm curious... Which bags did you buy this year? Were you more or less conservative than in previous years? What factored in your spending this year?

I'll go first. I was less conservative this year. I bought 2 Chanel Bags (Rainbow Mini and Small 20A Fushia Coco Handle) 2 Louis Vuittons (Pastel Escale TP26 and Pre-Loved Cerises Speedy B25) and a Coach mini Emery in hibiscus this year. I'm currently considering deciding between the LV Palm Springs Mini, Montsouris BB or Prada Re-Edition bag.

Quarantine boredom and saving money by not traveling/not purchasing new clothing were probably the biggest factors in my increased handbag spending this year.

Year after year I seem to find myself on this forum every Nov/Dec naturally and I couldn't tell you why!
I will say that this year, without travel (other than local) I didn't give bags a single thought, had no idea what Chanel or any designers was producing, etc...until literally a week ago when I popped up on here again haha.

So while I didn't buy a single bag this year (not even trying), I did just buy some now in the last few days thanks to you guys on TPF influencing me:biggrin:...some deals on vintage Balenciagas, a new mini reissue, and LV croisette (all from resellers as I don't have a Chanel store on my little island). I have sold A TON of bags, including lots of Chanel, though this year and so far I don't miss any of them...hard to miss when you're not using them/going anywhere though. The pandemic made me realize what bags brought me joy and what were never used or just "meh" and I'm glad I was able to sell them and really whittle down my collection. It's less excessive now compared to what it was. Priorities definitely changed.

I'm trying to do a no-buy for clothes/accessories for 2021, and hope these new purchases will tide me over all year (I have enough, believe me). I AM feeling a lot more optimistic about the state of the world though and traveling again, at least by summer! So I hope I can use my new bags then.

BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR! Here's to 2021!!:lol:

I was definitely more conservative this year. So conservative that I completely fell off the luxury wagon :lol: Like above, my priorities got shifted, and with nowhere to go my bags pretty much lived in their dust bags this year. What I didn't expect was that it made me realize how happy I was with my current collection, and oddly I fell back in love with pieces I thought I'd fallen out of love with last year. This year gave me a chance to slow down and take stock of what I had. This hobby has a tendency to turn into a "keep up with the joneses" situation, and I think this was a needed break.

Since I had so much extra time (and all my friends seemed to have babies this year so not like I was zooming much with friends) I spent way too much time on purseforum and got sucked back into the luxury dark hole (I last bought two WOCs in Sept 2019 and before that probably would buy 1 chanel item every 6 years...)

This year I got the ivory iridescent mini flap, mini so black coco handle, lilac mini coco handle, white iridescent small coco handle...two sale boots, two sale slides, 1 pair of strappy gold heels...all in the last 2 months of the year :biggrin:

I'm just daydreaming of when the world returns to normal and I can finally wear something that's not athleisure!

I probably spent the same on purses in 2020. However, I only bought pre-loved bags this year. With everyone cleaning and purging their closets, I was able to find discontinued Chanel's that I was unable to get several years ago in excellent condition and they have brought me just as much joy as a brand new bag from the boutique. After I got my so black reissue several years ago, nothing in the store has made my heart sing.

I would say I spent a little more than usual (if you include gifts). I was bored so did a lot of shopping haha.

Chanel bags I got a perfect meeting hobo in white, small red chevron boy bag, small CF in 20B. As for on consignment bought a so black small gabrielle bag and a small bag that was beige and black (I think it’s called the ballerine). Non Chanel I got a Gucci marmont in the pastel pink they dropped in May.

Though I did sell two non Chanel bags this year which was good!

I spent more in terms of $, but bought the same number of bags as the prior year. In total, I added 3 bags - a Gucci Dionysus, a preloved LV alma PM, and a silver Chanel 19. Also added a few SLGs (LV 6 key holder, multicolor agenda PM, etc). I justified it all since I’m saving so much money by not traveling/eating out this year and we’ve been very fortunate in that our jobs have not been disrupted. That said, I haven’t been able to use my bags that much (the alma PM literally have not been worn at all), so my goal is to slow down in 2021. There are a number of Chanel bags on my wishlist, including a Trendy CC, but especially now with a baby on the way, I’m not sure how practical these bags will be.

I bought my first Chanel in 2020, and it went downhill from there. In chronological order:

1) Chanel M/L DF caviar ghw
2) Chanel clutch with chain caviar shw
3) Chanel jumbo SF caviar ghw
4) Chanel 17cm vintage mini lamb skin ghw
5) Chanel 20cm vintage mini lamb skin ghw
6) Chanel 25cm DF vintage lamb skin ghw.
7) Chanel cosmetic pouch caviar shw.

I spent the most money in 2020 on handbags, than I ever had before. I discovered vintage Chanel bags and went off. I paid for everything at a discount and would make a minimum of 30% profit if I were to sell now.

For 2021, I have made a list of 2 things I can buy- Lady Dior and a Rolex. I will stick to this list, and not use shopping to cure my boredom. :happydance:

I bought way more bags this year than I normally do. Between boredom, spending time on TPF and instagram as well as watching YouTube videos, it may have an influenced me a bit but reality is I was able to cross off bags that I’ve had on my wishlist for quite some time. We also had a big trip planned for our 10 year wedding anniversary that didn’t happen and my husband had an amazing 1st year in his own business.

I’ll only list my Chanel bags that I purchased in 2020 here:

Jumbo in navy caviar with champagne gold hardware
Reissue 226 so black
Medium filigree vanity in light beige
2 trendy CCs (light blue and dark pink)
Large Deauville in turquoise
Small boy bag in antique gold
Reissue mini in tweed
Large Chanel 19 in white (purchased the matching white/ black combat boots)
Jumbo denim flap
Classic flap m/l in iridescent purple

Added some ready to wear and 1 pair of sandals in red.

Only SLG is the o case in black caviar as I prefer LV and Dior for SLGs.

I feel like in addition to the other Chanel bags I have my collection is complete. The only Chanel bags I would consider going forward would be seasonal and it would need to fill a gap in my collection.

Major damage in 2020...

BrandNameMaterialColorSize
BalmainB BuzzCroc EmbossedMarronMoyen
ChanelClassic Flap MediumCaviarBlancMedium
Chanel19GoatskinGrisSmall
ChanelMini 2.55CalfskinRainbow IridescentMini
Chanel19TweedNoir/BlancMedium
ChanelGabrielleLeatherNoirSmall
CoachCassieLeatherBlancMoyen
CoachTabby Top HandleLeatherNoirMini
CoachRefined ParkerLeatherBleuMini
HermèsBirkin 30ClémenceRose Extrême30
HermèsHerbag 31 PégaseVache HunterNoir/Bleu IndigoMoyen
MajeM MiniDaimNoir/PaillettesMini
Ted BakerDeannah Tote BagLeatherBlancMoyen
VuittonPochette MétisMonogramBrunMoyen
VuittonAlma BBDamier EbeneBrunMini

Major damage in 2020...

BrandNameMaterialColorSize
BalmainB BuzzCroc EmbossedMarronMoyen
ChanelClassic Flap MediumCaviarBlancMedium
Chanel19GoatskinGrisSmall
ChanelMini 2.55CalfskinRainbow IridescentMini
Chanel19TweedNoir/BlancMedium
ChanelGabrielleLeatherNoirSmall
CoachCassieLeatherBlancMoyen
CoachTabby Top HandleLeatherNoirMini
CoachRefined ParkerLeatherBleuMini
HermèsBirkin 30ClémenceRose Extrême30
HermèsHerbag 31 PégaseVache HunterNoir/Bleu IndigoMoyen
MajeM MiniDaimNoir/PaillettesMini
Ted BakerDeannah Tote BagLeatherBlancMoyen
VuittonPochette MétisMonogramBrunMoyen
VuittonAlma BBDamier EbeneBrunMini
Omg your organization skills just gave me inspiration to make an excel with all my bags!

I bought no bags this last year and have bought none since 2017. We bought our house in 2019 and that's where all spare cash goes now.
I continue to live vicariously through all here on tpf. My little fix now is a designer SLG I choose and my DH gets me for my birthday.

I feel happy with what I have. The Chanel flap was always my holy grail and when I ticked it off I knew it was likely that I would be done with handbags in general. Now I can admire the bags others purchase but have minimal desire to own. I will still have a look at what's new/on sale with other luxury houses but have bought nothing in recent years.

My bags also don't get as much use as they ought to, further adding to my arguement that I do not need anymore.

I bought 5 bags this year which is definitely more than I usually buy. My justification was that being home, I wasn’t spending as much on dinners out etc lol

-Chanel Reissue Camera Bag in Medium (pre-loved)
-Lancel Ninon
-Mansur Gavriel Bucket Bag
-Gucci Marmont Small Camera Bag
-Polène Numero Un Mini (just ordered!)

Mentioned this in the Polène thread but this year I got really into the smaller, newer leather house brands and their bags. Just been loving the minimalist designs and focus on craftsmanship!

I spent more in terms of $, but bought the same number of bags as the prior year. In total, I added 3 bags - a Gucci Dionysus, a preloved LV alma PM, and a silver Chanel 19. Also added a few SLGs (LV 6 key holder, multicolor agenda PM, etc). I justified it all since I’m saving so much money by not traveling/eating out this year and we’ve been very fortunate in that our jobs have not been disrupted. That said, I haven’t been able to use my bags that much (the alma PM literally have not been worn at all), so my goal is to slow down in 2021. There are a number of Chanel bags on my wishlist, including a Trendy CC, but especially now with a baby on the way, I’m not sure how practical these bags will be.
Congrats on the "baby on the way"!

Reactions: cncm