2020 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Do most of you carry simple bags but style them against adventurous outfits, or are your clothing choices understated where your bags may be a bit louder? Or do you lean entirely towards classic and chic in both categories?
An interesting question! In the past couple years, I've gone away from wearing more simple, solid color clothes. I've been drawn to floral patterns, especially! Maybe that's why I got so obsessed with vintage Coach - these simple style bags go so well with more adventurous outfits! I like a pretty, feminine look, though I still rock a t-shirt and jeans on many occasions.

Sounds exactly like what my poor 95-year-old Mom has been enduring since the middle of March. She lives in a Life Care community, so she's in her own apartment (not a nursing home), basically a studio apartment with a kitchen & bath. But no more dining room, which is where residents had all their mental stimulation. Meals are delivered, and according to Mom, the food is pretty crummy. I was allowed to visit her until a few weeks ago, since I'm considered a "secondary caregiver," but then there were a couple of positive C-19 tests among employees (though none among residents) and at that point my doctor said ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! (And so did Mom, bless her heart.) I feel just terrible for her. She's so lonely. Of course I call her every day and we talk for at least an hour, but it's not the same thing. And mentally she's simply not up to FaceTime (though they offered to set her up with it), so we don't have visual contact. I only live 2 blocks away from her, and I'm hoping the visiting ban will lift soon, but I'm not optimistic.

Sorry if this is TMI. Just had to spill. :frown:
Your Mom sounds awesome and she is still watching out for her daughter.

BTW, I pulled the trigger on the Gucci 1955 - even though Gucci put the darn price £110 since I decided on it but wouldn't buy without seeing/feeling/trying.

My SA is sending it to me because I was wearing too much bling and carrying an ostrich bag at the time, and Gucci had no plain paper bags.

I planned to discard the box and just put inside my other bag, but the box is ltd ed, so ridiculously I wanted all the trimmings and my personal safety too.

I've been waiting in - I hope it comes soon!!

View attachment 4805661
Very exciting! Please take a picture when it arrives.

Reactions: keodi
Thank you. It's really a favourite of mine! :smile:
I paid so much more for that bag than I should have, lol! I was abroad for work and I paid full retail when in the US people were getting it 60-70% off. But I just loved this bag and really wanted it, so it was worth the price to me. It's from the 1941 line and the leather is great! I use it often but there's been no real wear on it, nor any peeling on the glazed coloured portions of the leather. I'm very impressed with how it has held up.

Mostly I style it casually. It matches everything because it has every colour in it.
A better pic attached for you. :smile:

I don't blame you for being tempted! That is a gorgeous bag! :loveeyes:
I would never buy it without seeing it first; you have to know the condition it's in! How odd that a seller wouldn't think of that...
Once you see the photos, you'll be able to make up your mind more easily if it's worth getting. :yes:View attachment 4805040

Your bag is gorgeous! thank-you for the photo! I wouldn´t worry having paid full price for this, either! As long as you can afford it there´s nothing wrong with buying something without a discount- especially when you really want it and not risk not getting it while waiting for the sale or it appearing on the preloved market.
I just heard from the lady selling the New Lock. She is on holidays at the moment and promised to take photos once she is back home. I find it impossible to buy a preloved handbag after only seeing 3 photos.... even for a cheaper bag I really need photos of all sides, the interior, the hardware and of course the tag/ data code before I can decide whether it is right for me. And this one is expensive.

The Dior New Lock is a good looking bag. I didn’t realize it was a fixed chain shoulder bag. I think I get this one confused with the Dior Sliding Chain style that @Sparkletastic has shared here. Both are lovely!

The New Lock model has the fixed shoulder strap. The Miss Dior ( I think it came out after the New Lock was discontinued) almost looks the same (it is more structured, I think a leather lining...), but has the sliding long chainstrap.
The latter model seems to be the more coveted as resale prices are a lot higher than for the New Lock if you ever find a big model, black/ silver hardware at all.

this is a Miss Dior1596239641471.pngreferenz dior-Black-Black-Cannage-Leather-New-Lock-Flap-Bag.jpegand this is a New Lock

We are opening, with hybrid (online/live) teaching until Thanksgiving, then all online until February, then back to hybrid. Last night I visited friends at my old Uni where they are going to test students twice a week. It's a fancy place with famous med school, and the test will be a one-day thing. With a positive test they are basically going to lock you in your tiny room for 2 weeks and bring you crappy food.

Our schools are opening on Monday. I´m not impressed and very doubtful how well distancing etc will be taken care of. I´m still in shock about their parents assembly on Thursday. 30+ people in one packed classroom- at least with all windows open. I should have left immediately, but stayed as I needed the information given.
(Did I actually? Couldn´t I just have gambled and taken the kid on Monday at the usual school start time? I actually do kick my own behind for staying meanwhile!)
Only 2 people in the room were wearing masks as inside the classrooms it is not mandatory. Everybody seemed to be fine with the situation. I was on the verge of a panic attack. This was the first time since April I got in contact with a big group of people.

That's a handsome bag. But maybe with all that hardware it would be heavy. What do you think?

Going from other Dior chains- my Diva bag for example has some chunky chain links- and considering the size of the bag (approx. 30 x 20 cm, 10 cms wide) I expect the bag to have a solid weight. For me that´s something I really like and perceive as a feature of quality and luxury.

Reactions: ElainePG and keodi
I'm returning to this question because it really got me thinking. It's not something I've considered before.
I have a very simple aesthetic. Very androgynous and neat.
I don't wear prints or ruffles, or anything overtly feminine in style. I've always been a tomboy and it suits both my shape and personality. My tops and bottoms are all solid colours but many will have interesting details...a contrasting stitch or unique buttons; just small, subtle details others wouldn't notice on me but give me pleasure.
However many of my bags are the opposite: lots of colours, interesting shapes, interesting textures, unique leathers.

Do most of you carry simple bags but style them against adventurous outfits, or are your clothing choices understated where your bags may be a bit louder? Or do you lean entirely towards classic and chic in both categories?

Well, I don´t think I have any talent for understatement. I´m either plain/sloppy in jeans with black tops or outlandish in mostly true vintage dresses. I love quirky pieces like leather jackets (some painted), vintage coats, fur coats, long leather gloves and when I´m feeling curageous the hats I make (40ies or 50ies style refurbished from any old ugly but high quality hats I get my hands on.) I love good quality, so usually my clothes are not actually cheap looking. My bags are either Galliano for Dior or true vintage. Only very few are recent and subtle. I love to play with clothes and bags, "paint pictures", tell visiual stories and when I chose what to pair with what I only go by instinct: the picture is right or not...

Sounds exactly like what my poor 95-year-old Mom has been enduring since the middle of March. She lives in a Life Care community, so she's in her own apartment (not a nursing home), basically a studio apartment with a kitchen & bath. But no more dining room, which is where residents had all their mental stimulation. Meals are delivered, and according to Mom, the food is pretty crummy. I was allowed to visit her until a few weeks ago, since I'm considered a "secondary caregiver," but then there were a couple of positive C-19 tests among employees (though none among residents) and at that point my doctor said ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! (And so did Mom, bless her heart.) I feel just terrible for her. She's so lonely. Of course I call her every day and we talk for at least an hour, but it's not the same thing. And mentally she's simply not up to FaceTime (though they offered to set her up with it), so we don't have visual contact. I only live 2 blocks away from her, and I'm hoping the visiting ban will lift soon, but I'm not optimistic.

Does she have a window you can go stand under?

This is what I’ve been carrying the last few days...unearthed from the depths of my closet for some airtime.
Chloe Baylee Large in the “yummy cookie” color. Boy it sure is hard to photograph a slouchy bag.
Also, a bag spill ..hmm..nothing has changed since S.I.P Mar 17th. Time for a change, I’d say. I sure wish I could get a haircut..but I digress.View attachment 4805034View attachment 4805033
I love bag spills! :love:
I loved that store!
Me too, I miss it i used to get really neat sunnies from there.

This is not TMI at all, I hope and pray the ban gets lifted so that you can visit. This has been so difficult on everyone!:hugs:
Hrmmmm - interesting question!
A few years ago I was part of a conversation started by @papertiger - I can't remember the name of the book but it was a very enlightening conversation and book. It was about finding your style (for a lack of a better word) and applying it to all aspects of your life. At that time I came up with Understated Joy (papertiger I saved your quote - it meant a lot to me!), or Understated Playful.
Last year, @ElainePG talked about Brenda Kinsel's book Fashion Makeover, so I bought it and went through it. It is a very similar premise to the first book, but Brenda's book goes more into fashion and how to find clothes that work for you.
My style words with the second book were Understated Elegance.
I have a theme! Understated Playful Elegance. Honestly - I *really* like that.
Like you I lean toward a simple aesthetic, most of my clothing is neutral - lots of black, navy, cream - and my purses are as well… except I do have 3 red bags. All in all it's pretty understated. And I would say elegant for the most part - I do have Lilly Pulitzer shorts and they're not so elegant - but there is nothing flagrant or obnoxious anywhere. No obnoxious labeling (though my LV Pallas is in the monogram), I would be willing to bet (and I never bet) that most of the people around me have no idea about my purses - and that is just fine.
The playful part would be my scarves - I love them. They're like the icing on a cake - not too much, just enough icing though. They add a pop of color, a bit of sparkle to my clothing.
Understated playful elegance, I like that a lot!
BTW, I pulled the trigger on the Gucci 1955 - even though Gucci put the darn price £110 since I decided on it but wouldn't buy without seeing/feeling/trying.

My SA is sending it to me because I was wearing too much bling and carrying an ostrich bag at the time, and Gucci had no plain paper bags.

I planned to discard the box and just put inside my other bag, but the box is ltd ed, so ridiculously I wanted all the trimmings and my personal safety too.

I've been waiting in - I hope it comes soon!!

View attachment 4805661
OOOH i love this bag! very fun, and very Gucci:heart:

It's so sweet that you mum is looking out for you. Mums really are the best!
Hopefully you'll be able to visit soon. This is such a difficult experience for everyone. :sad:
Liking the other suggestions that you could perhaps stand under her window, just so that she sees you in person. Is that a possibility?

our little town hospital is prepare to admit one COVID patient a day. One.
:shocked:

BTW, I pulled the trigger on the Gucci 1955
Love it! It'll be a lot of fun to style! :biggrin:

I was on the verge of a panic attack. This was the first time since April I got in contact with a big group of people.
I totally understand that feeling. In spite of recovering from it, I still panic whenever there's someone near me without a mask. At the grocery store yesterday, people were pulling masks down after they got into the store and then not distancing at all. I got really tense and wanted to run out.
Hopefully you're fine; try to put it out of your mind. But maybe make a mental note that the next time you need to interact within a crowd, that you wear a mask yourself and try to position yourself near an open window if possible.
We can only do our best, the rest is out of our hands. Hopefully this will all be over soon.

It's been such fun reading about everyone's styles, and how we play with details, scarves and bags to express our unique personalities. Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! :tup:

A few years ago I was part of a conversation started by @papertiger - I can't remember the name of the book but it was a very enlightening conversation and book. It was about finding your style (for a lack of a better word) and applying it to all aspects of your life.
Sounds like an interesting book. I can definitely see how one's style would be reflected in other aspects of our lives. The firmer your sense of self, the more likely you are to see a theme in every choice you make so that everything is uniquely 'you'.
I also love your theme! I would have to think what words would best describe my aesthetic. This will be fun and a much needed distraction, so thank you.

This is what I’ve been carrying the last few days...unearthed from the depths of my closet for some airtime.
Chloe Baylee Large in the “yummy cookie” color. Boy it sure is hard to photograph a slouchy bag.
Also, a bag spill ..hmm..nothing has changed since S.I.P Mar 17th. Time for a change, I’d say. I sure wish I could get a haircut..but I digress.View attachment 4805034View attachment 4805033

Not only a lovely Chloe bag but a lovely set of SLGs too

Seems like when I started tPF, it was all about bags, hardly one worried too much about SLGs, but now I think people are much more demanding of the things that are more for usually just for themselves (rather than public view).

Not sure if I'm correct in my observations but if true, I really like that development.