2020 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Do most of you carry simple bags but style them against adventurous outfits, or are your clothing choices understated where your bags may be a bit louder? Or do you lean entirely towards classic and chic in both categories?
Great question! I mostly lean toward classic, understated outfits, to serve as a background to my H scarves. I pay attention to fabric (cashmere is my best friend!) and, like you, I just love interesting but subtle details like pretty buttons that nobody would notice but me. A unique black button on a black jacket makes me happy! As for bags, I'd say they fall halfway between my H scarves (perhaps a bit wild) and my clothes(subdued). I don't have many brightly-colored bags any more, though I did when I first became interested in handbags in 2013 when I joined tPF and fell down the rabbit hole. :biggrin: But beautiful leathers and fabulous (yet understated) hardware makes me excited and pairs nicely with my outfits.

And in my field we have had to become experts in new technology for zooming without the lag that happens. If I hear the words "latency" and "asynchronous" one more time I am going to barf.
Interesting. (But please don't barf…)
Mr. PG and I have been watching some chamber music concerts streaming, courtesy of our local chamber music society. Sometimes the performance sounds better than other times… I'm guessing that everyone is still learning. Is this what you're talking about?

We are opening, with hybrid (online/live) teaching until Thanksgiving, then all online until February, then back to hybrid. Last night I visited friends at my old Uni where they are going to test students twice a week. It's a fancy place with famous med school, and the test will be a one-day thing. With a positive test they are basically going to lock you in your tiny room for 2 weeks and bring you crappy food.
So, our university held a town hall yesterday and we FINALLY got some more specific answers. They are distributing 30,000 tests to students who are supposed to take them 7 days before arriving on campus. There is mandated masking on campus (which we knew), but now our town is starting to comply with that, too. There will be randomized testing of students once they are here, and the university hired a contact tracing team. The Dean of the College of Medicine was also at the virtual meeting and stated that our little town hospital is prepare to admit one COVID patient a day. One. :panic: Currently we are using 4 instructional models (faculty choice): in person, hybrid, remote synch and remote asynch until Thanksgiving when we are slated to move fully online. However, my guess is that we will be fully remote by early October.

I'm returning to this question because it really got me thinking. It's not something I've considered before.
I have a very simple aesthetic. Very androgynous and neat.
I don't wear prints or ruffles, or anything overtly feminine in style. I've always been a tomboy and it suits both my shape and personality. My tops and bottoms are all solid colours but many will have interesting details...a contrasting stitch or unique buttons; just small, subtle details others wouldn't notice on me but give me pleasure.
However many of my bags are the opposite: lots of colours, interesting shapes, interesting textures, unique leathers.

Do most of you carry simple bags but style them against adventurous outfits, or are your clothing choices understated where your bags may be a bit louder? Or do you lean entirely towards classic and chic in both categories?
Hrmmmm - interesting question!
A few years ago I was part of a conversation started by @papertiger - I can't remember the name of the book but it was a very enlightening conversation and book. It was about finding your style (for a lack of a better word) and applying it to all aspects of your life. At that time I came up with Understated Joy (papertiger I saved your quote - it meant a lot to me!), or Understated Playful.
Last year, @ElainePG talked about Brenda Kinsel's book Fashion Makeover, so I bought it and went through it. It is a very similar premise to the first book, but Brenda's book goes more into fashion and how to find clothes that work for you.
My style words with the second book were Understated Elegance.
I have a theme! Understated Playful Elegance. Honestly - I *really* like that.
Like you I lean toward a simple aesthetic, most of my clothing is neutral - lots of black, navy, cream - and my purses are as well… except I do have 3 red bags. All in all it's pretty understated. And I would say elegant for the most part - I do have Lilly Pulitzer shorts and they're not so elegant - but there is nothing flagrant or obnoxious anywhere. No obnoxious labeling (though my LV Pallas is in the monogram), I would be willing to bet (and I never bet) that most of the people around me have no idea about my purses - and that is just fine.
The playful part would be my scarves - I love them. They're like the icing on a cake - not too much, just enough icing though. They add a pop of color, a bit of sparkle to my clothing.

A few years ago I was part of a conversation started by @papertiger - I can't remember the name of the book but it was a very enlightening conversation and book. It was about finding your style (for a lack of a better word) and applying it to all aspects of your life. At that time I came up with Understate Joy (papertiger I saved your quote - it meant a lot to me!), or Understated Playful.
Last year, @ElainePG talked about Brenda Kinsel's book Fashion Makeover, so I bought it and went through it. It is a very similar premise to the first book, but Brenda's book goes more into fashion and how to find clothes that work for you.
Like you I lean toward a simple aesthetic, most of my clothing is neutral - lots of black, navy, cream - and my purses are as well… except I do have 3 red bags. All in all it's pretty understated. And I would say elegant for the most part - I do have Lilly Pulitzer shorts and they're not so elegant - but there is nothing flagrant or obnoxious anywhere. No obnoxious labeling (though my LV Pallas is in the monogram), I would be willing to bet (and I never bet) that most of the people around me have no idea about my purses - and that is just fine.
The playful part would be my scarves - I love them. They're like the icing on a cake - not too much, just enough icing though. They add a pop of color, a bit of sparkle to my clothing.

Honestly, Understated Playful Elegance is how I'd describe your style night and day, day and night

Your Coach ombre Callie is gorgeous! How do you wear it? Casually or dressed up?

The Dior New Lock is still lingering in the back of my head. I´m very tempted, but I don´t understand why the seller hasn´t sent me any photos, yet. Some people are just so slow or don´t understand that somebody wants to see everything before spending money. I might write to her, again, tomorrow. On the other hand... it´s expensive... but kind of a classic bag... very much what I´vebeen looking for... cannage quilted... silver hardware... chunky silver chain... but only a shoulder chain... a bit big for crossbody anyway... you see my peace is endangered!

Here´s an old campaign photo from when the style was launched in Dec 2009.

View attachment 4804798

Hope s/he gets back to you

Last edited:
A few years ago I was part of a conversation started by @papertiger - I can't remember the name of the book but it was a very enlightening conversation and book. It was about finding your style (for a lack of a better word) and applying it to all aspects of your life. At that time I came up with Understated Joy (papertiger I saved your quote - it meant a lot to me!), or Understated Playful.
I just adore your theme... it’s definitely YOU!

Sounds exactly like what my poor 95-year-old Mom has been enduring since the middle of March. She lives in a Life Care community, so she's in her own apartment (not a nursing home), basically a studio apartment with a kitchen & bath. But no more dining room, which is where residents had all their mental stimulation. Meals are delivered, and according to Mom, the food is pretty crummy. I was allowed to visit her until a few weeks ago, since I'm considered a "secondary caregiver," but then there were a couple of positive C-19 tests among employees (though none among residents) and at that point my doctor said ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! (And so did Mom, bless her heart.) I feel just terrible for her. She's so lonely. Of course I call her every day and we talk for at least an hour, but it's not the same thing. And mentally she's simply not up to FaceTime (though they offered to set her up with it), so we don't have visual contact. I only live 2 blocks away from her, and I'm hoping the visiting ban will lift soon, but I'm not optimistic.

Sorry if this is TMI. Just had to spill. :frown:
I'm sorry you and your mother have to endure this. I can't imagine how difficult this is for anyone who has to be all by themselves all these months.

BTW, I pulled the trigger on the Gucci 1955 - even though Gucci put the darn price up £110 since I decided on it but wouldn't buy without seeing/feeling/trying.

My SA is sending it to me because I was wearing too much bling and carrying an ostrich bag at the time, and Gucci had no plain paper bags.

I planned to discard the box and just put inside my other bag, but the box is ltd ed, so ridiculously I wanted all the trimmings and my personal safety too.

I've been waiting in - I hope it comes soon!!

Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 17.14.09.png

Last edited:
I'm returning to this question because it really got me thinking. It's not something I've considered before.
I have a very simple aesthetic. Very androgynous and neat.
I don't wear prints or ruffles, or anything overtly feminine in style. I've always been a tomboy and it suits both my shape and personality. My tops and bottoms are all solid colours but many will have interesting details...a contrasting stitch or unique buttons; just small, subtle details others wouldn't notice on me but give me pleasure.
However many of my bags are the opposite: lots of colours, interesting shapes, interesting textures, unique leathers.

As my bag collection has gotten more colorful, my clothing has gotten more monochromatic to serve as a backdrop to my gorgeous bags. I wear jeans most of the time. Most of my tops are solid color.

Sounds exactly like what my poor 95-year-old Mom has been enduring since the middle of March. She lives in a Life Care community, so she's in her own apartment (not a nursing home), basically a studio apartment with a kitchen & bath. But no more dining room, which is where residents had all their mental stimulation. Meals are delivered, and according to Mom, the food is pretty crummy. I was allowed to visit her until a few weeks ago, since I'm considered a "secondary caregiver," but then there were a couple of positive C-19 tests among employees (though none among residents) and at that point my doctor said ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! (And so did Mom, bless her heart.) I feel just terrible for her. She's so lonely. Of course I call her every day and we talk for at least an hour, but it's not the same thing. And mentally she's simply not up to FaceTime (though they offered to set her up with it), so we don't have visual contact. I only live 2 blocks away from her, and I'm hoping the visiting ban will lift soon, but I'm not optimistic.

Sorry if this is TMI. Just had to spill. :frown:
Oh gosh - that is terrible.
Could you meet outside?
I just adore your theme... it’s definitely YOU!
Thank you!
BTW, I pulled the trigger on the Gucci 1955 - even though Gucci put the darn price £110 since I decided on it but wouldn't buy without seeing/feeling/trying.

My SA is sending it to me because I was wearing too much bling and carrying an ostrich bag at the time, and Gucci had no plain paper bags.

I planned to discard the box and just put inside my other bag, but the box is ltd ed, so ridiculously I wanted all the trimmings and my personal safety too.

I've been waiting in - I hope it comes soon!!

View attachment 4805661
That is a very fun bag! Congratulations!