2019 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Aug 15, 2012
YEAR SEVEN! WOW... every year, I am continually amazed by the longevity of this thread. The group continues to grow and we continue to support one another. The original intent of my thread was a personal resolution to shop my own bag and SLG collection in hopes to curb spending, implement a ban (of sorts), and enjoy what I already own. I've succeeded only one year (in 2015) in achieving 365 days of not buying any bags or SLGs. Following that year, though, my overall purchasing has slowed down significantly and my purchases are more thoughtful - refining my collection to suit my lifestyle has been the name of the game for me in the last several years; and I'm letting go of more pieces that don't work as well for me anymore.

In 2018, I tried to repeat 2015's success - it wasn't a complete success because I did bring new items in, but I also let go of 10 pieces; what I did bring in, I use almost every day. I'd say that is a different type of success =) I also tried to do a wardrobe ban but that didn't work lol - we all have to start somewhere, so now that I've attempted it, I know that it will be tough to do, but I think I will have more success this time around. I'm going to try again with a wardrobe ban and see how it goes. All in all though, if all else fails, I just want to have less than what I started with by the end of the year. I'm really trying to live without a lot of excess, and use up a lot of what I do have so it doesn't go to waste. My resolution this year is more of an overall lifestyle shift for me - I've had a pretty rough 2018, and this shift is to try to help me regain my health in all aspects of my life.

Looking forward to another year with everyone! :heart:

Well, in 2019 I will be coming off buying 4-5 new bags after not purchasing for...oh...maybe 4 years? And I likely won't sell any because I would get nothing for them and so I may as well keep them. But I would like to keep myself on the straight and narrow for the next year after I have more than stocked up.

My resolution is to stay within the amount of closet space I have. If I buy something new it must fit easily or I have to sell or give away something before hand. I will track my usage again and if something doesn’t get used it must go with the exception of a few special occasion bags. I will also continue to keep an picture album of my bags on phone to look at before I buy something new.

Count me in! 2018 was a year of overspending. I never went into debt for my handbag obsession (and never would!) but I spent a lot of money that could have smarter spent paying down my mortgage. I also purchased a car I wanted but didn’t need and have a car payment for the first time in my life, after always paying cash for cars in the past. 2019 is about getting my feet back on the ground, remembering that the thrill of the handbag chase can seriously interfere with other, larger goals in life, and being less attached to stuff in general.

I don't know how successful I'll be in 2019. I'm never one to make resolutions. I'm more likely to meet a goal if I don't state it out loud. I did better in 2018 than in previous years so I hope to stay on that course. I hope to be more mindful of purchases, and not to buy something just because it is a deal or because everyone else loves it. My top goal is to reduce my keychain/purse charm collection by at least 30%. I'd like to reduce the purse number by 10 but that might take more than a year. I guess at the very least, I had better start practicing the one in, one out rule.

I don't know how successful I'll be in 2019. I'm never one to make resolutions. I'm more likely to meet a goal if I don't state it out loud. I did better in 2018 than in previous years so I hope to stay on that course. I hope to be more mindful of purchases, and not to buy something just because it is a deal or because everyone else loves it. My top goal is to reduce my keychain/purse charm collection by at least 30%. I'd like to reduce the purse number by 10 but that might take more than a year. I guess at the very least, I had better start practicing the one in, one out rule.
I don't like to do a specific number because you can guarantee I will break that number. I like your idea of being more mindful with the sales. They tend to get me with bags I want to try but am not willing to pay full price for.

I need to live here after the 2018 I’ve had! I think what scares me most is the idea of what my spending history must look like at Hermes, the main place where I spend big chunks of money. I added 5 H bags to my collection (including one exotic) this year and 2 LV bags, and sold 2 H bags and one Chanel. I also added a few pieces of fine jewelry, one from H. My current collection is 7 H bags, 3 LV bags, one old Gucci and a straw bag for summer. Plus a beachy type bag and a leather backpack for travel. Doesn’t sound too crazy but if you add it in with all my spend at H it feels crazy. I have two special order bags on the way with Hermes (and I may also allow myself one addition outside of those) so I have to decide what I can do to help fund those purchases. I also have a baby on the way and am in school full time as of last August, so I need to majorly cut back on what goes out funds-wise this coming year. I think one way I can do that is by rewarding myself at some point with a brand new closet. If I’m able to find someone who can do that for a reasonable price, I can display my bags and shoes in such a way that everything is out in the open and easier to enjoy. Right now I keep most of my things in boxes. My biggest accessory addiction is H shawls/scarves and shoes. I think my goal should be to add zero of those items to my collection for the whole year. Intimidating but I guess that’s why I’m here with everyone! My biggest vice is H and that is what I need to try to curb this year. I’m glad I can recognize that at least. I would honestly like to try a wardrobe and shoe ban outside of H, and a shawl/scarf and shoe ban with H. And to focus on the baby and continuing to kick ass in school!

Rhl2987 I'm also a student mom and I am with you in getting a grip on over indulging and wanting a closet that helps remind you what you already have. That's what I have been working on this year so I can feel an embarrassment of fashion riches when I walk in and feel satisfied with that and not need to shop more. I can't keep bags in dust bags!
IMG_3965.jpg

Rhl2987 I'm also a student mom and I am with you in getting a grip on over indulging and wanting a closet that helps remind you what you already have. That's what I have been working on this year so I can feel an embarrassment of fashion riches when I walk in and feel satisfied with that and not need to shop more. I can't keep bags in dust bags!
View attachment 4284512

You’ve created a wonderful space! And a lovely collection as well!! I will be at a loss for what to do with all of my Hermes bag and shoe boxes once I have my dream closet area. Maybe they will have to go in the spare bedroom or in some hidden space in the new closet.

I mostly lurk here, but I looked back at my 2018 numbers, and frankly, they're not great. I had a couple of ins that turned out not to be winners, and that’s unusual for me as I wouldn’t normally be disillusioned with new purchases so quickly.

I bought more on impulse overall, and some of those risks DID pay off, so that’s the silver lining, I guess.

I've never been too concerned about the size of my collection—what I hate more is not having the perfect bag when I want it—but I’m about at my limit, so I need to keep tabs on everything I have and make sure each bag is earning its place in my closet.

So for 2019, here are my goals:
  • Any new bags I decide to add must be 1) real showstoppers and/or 2) fill an actual need.
  • No settling. A couple of the bags I’m less thrilled with from 2018 were things I thought I could “make work” and ultimately couldn’t.

I'll call out one 2018 success, though. I had an LV Monceau that I LOVED, but mine was really starting to get battered and worn.

Because it's old/discontinued, I needed to shop preloved to replace it, and I'd been searching since 2016. I was pretty discouraged because most of the ones available were in about as bad a shape as mine but still carried a hefty price tag. So I kept looking, and this year, I finally lucked out and found one in really nice condition with a reasonable price tag. Also, I was also able to sell my old one for a decent price, so it was a win all the way around.

Does anyone else have any particular purse/wardrobe "wins" from 2018?

I also wanted to add how glad I am to be here with you at the beginning of this new thread. Wow. Over 13,600 replies on last year’s thread?! I can’t wait for the fruitful conversation this year will bring that I will be happy to be a part of.

Congrats on the upcoming arrival of your baby! That’s always exciting. For myself, the biggest thing was reminding myself I have similar bags in my collection compared to the ones I would be eyeing - reminding myself that they share the same purpose really helped curb a lot of my spending. I think I’m the last couple years my lifestyle has changed a bit in terms of commuting and needing my laptop more often so I started letting go and replacing items I needed. That’s ok! Life changes and You want to be living what u have and make sure they’re useful to you. I’m not so hard on myself anymore when I bring in a bag as long as it really has a use for me, and likely I will be letting go of something that no longer serves its purposes for me. It sounds like you have a really beautiful collection already and we’re here to help you to enjoy, and love it!

I'll call out one 2018 success, though. I had an LV Monceau that I LOVED, but mine was really starting to get battered and worn.

Because it's old/discontinued, I needed to shop preloved to replace it, and I'd been searching since 2016. I was pretty discouraged because most of the ones available were in about as bad a shape as mine but still carried a hefty price tag. So I kept looking, and this year, I finally lucked out and found one in really nice condition with a reasonable price tag. Also, I was also able to sell my old one for a decent price, so it was a win all the way around.

Does anyone else have any particular purse/wardrobe "wins" from 2018?

Not exactly similar but in 2018 I managed to find two vintage bags from 2 brands I’ve been dying to have vintage from - bv and coach. Both in amazing condition and coming in at $25, and $40, respectively! Those are some of my ‘crown jewels’ in my collection haha. And I use them too!

Anyone who is considering shopping outside of his/her wardrobe might benefit going through blondissima777's summary first before pulling the trigger:

I’m on board with everyone: don’t compromise (give or take things that are not that important to you), but give them a clear alternatives. Like I was told here once: ‘SAs are not mind readers. Make your choices known!’

You know it’s the right bag when:
- you can’t sleep because that bag didn’t go home with you.
- you can’t wait to run to the store as soon as they open the next day to get her.
- you’ve been obsessing about the same bag for a long time
- if said bag falls on your lap, you’ll only have eyes for her for a while (until the ‘honeymoon period’ cools off & she’ll be like a best friend: you love her & want her there for anything you need, but you’re not obsessed with her).
- You can’t wait to wear her with anything (you’ll start your outfits with said bag & go from there).

Recommendations
- Buy the first as if it was your only one (covers as many occasions as you can, goes from day to night, in a color that works best with your wardrobe), then get more adventurous as you go down the line.
- look at your previous bags for hints: if the majority of your closet and most used bags are small to medium sized shoulder bags, gold hardware, in black and neutrals and you say YES! to a gorgeous red Birkin 35 with PHW, my prediction is you will still want a small to medium black or neutral GHW shoulder bag (Kelly?) and until you get it, no matter how many other bags you get, that hole will still be unfulfilled. Nip it in the butt and buy the first bag as if it was your only one (unless you’re planning on becoming a regular client & they offered one of the ones on your wishlist).
- OR look at your bags and try to fill a hole: ‘Every time I get dressed, I wish I had a ‘pink Himalayan porcupine backpack’, but end up wearing my trusty black Vuinel (or is it Chaitton?) because I don’t have one’ :sad: That’s another way of going about a first.
- don’t settle. When you least expect it, the bag of your dreams will be offered to you and you’ll have no reservations about taking her home with you. WARNING: don’t let pressure from an SO, SA or us do the picking for you, especially when you’re not sure. Sometimes we want to be agreeable with an SO (especially if they’re paying for it), an SA pushes you to go for one bag because they already have a client lined up for the other and us, we give you our honest opinions and share our knowledge, but only you know in your heart the bag you like the most and fits you needs best.
- once you narrow down the style, size and color range you want (which seems like you have), find out as much as you can about it: the leathers it comes in, sizes, etc. You might go YES! at the store because it’s your dream bag, then find out it’s a PITA to get in and out of because that leather is too stiff or once you put your kitchen sink in it, you’ll need back surgery. Both problems easily solved by a different type of leather.
- don’t get caught up in it’s an special order, special edition, resale value, etc. If it’s the wrong bag for you, none of it will matter when you’re wearing it; you’ll still wish you had waited for your plain vanilla black with GHW that you wanted in the first place.
- patience is your friend! Don’t get caught up in the moment (it’s a pretty exciting one) and settle for less than what you really want. Stick to your guns. I know it’s hard to do because it feels like you’ve waited for this moment your whole life and it might never come again. It will :smile:
- last: enjoy your bag! Don’t go against the grain (no pun intended). If you’re a freak with your bags, don’t go for the most delicate leather, even if it’s the prettiest! All you’ll do is baby your bag all day long! Compromise a little for a sturdier leather & you’ll enjoy that bag 10x more because you’ll be more carefree with it.

I think this is all. Congratulations if you made it this far. Restrooms are second door on the right and there are complimentary refreshments at the reception. Thank you.

Great wrap-up.

Last edited: