2018 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

View attachment 3940540
Bella has a going out bag now. Lol

And I am in my Chanel airlines bag, which was the chosen weekend bag for the month. [emoji4]

Bella’s bag came from my stash of reusable bags. I figured I already gave her an SLG, I didn’t need to get her a fancy tote, at for least right now.
Cute bag! Cuter Bella, she's adorable.

I wore the third of my underused bags today. It’s kind of a nothing bag, but I like the color. It’s a messenger bag from Massaccesi that doesn’t hold much, so it was used for errands. Really for this size and effect I would sooner reach for one of my H trims. View attachment 3940559View attachment 3940560
Sorry about the photo size. tPF has just updated itself on my phone, and no longer has 3 size options. Darnit! I hate "improvements" LOL.
Also - I don' go in much for doodads, but I think this bag needs a little tassel or bagcharm. Suggestions?
I like the color of this bag. I prefer a doo dad over a tassel, and I think something bright, like maybe yellow?

Reactions: momasaurus
I am way behind on here but just wanted to ask you ladies if you've ever done a closet inventory. While I was going through my closet yesterday I decided I would actually count everything I have in there. So, this morning, I did. Gulp. That number was so high! And then my middle dd saw my list and started laughing. Huh! I told her that was privileged information and not for her (or anyone else, lol!) to see. I didn't even count my exercise clothing. It's not like I even have a number in mind as optimal but at the very least it causes me to not want to shop in stores but instead, SHOP MY CLOSET!
Hi all :wave: just found this thread, and yes, I’m in!
I spent a lot of 2017 talking about reorganizing my bedroom, purging clothes and shoes and figuring how to sort and organize a then-growing (now holding even) collection of vintage Coach. A lot of talking. Now is the time for doing. Thanks all for your comments. I spent a lot of today doing laundry. Tomorrow afternoon is dedicated to hanging out in my bedroom and getting the ball rolling.

I actually did that at the beginning of last year. And it resulted in a HUGE closet purge! I mean, what on earth was I doing with that many (notice I'm not saying the number) pairs of identical black pants???). And shoes for "some day"... when that "some day" was never going to come, since they had been oversized in the first place, and at my age my foot certainly was NOT going to grow larger!

So I packed up bags and bags of clothes to go to charity shops and I want to tell you... it was SUCH a great feeling to know that everything in my closet (1) fit well; (2) was something I loved; and (3) looked good on me.

I won't say that I completely "shopped my closet" in 2017, since I did buy some things at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, but I did use the "1 in, 3 out" rule to make sure my closet didn't get stuffed again. And now I'm going through the winter with no new clothing purchases since last August, and I'm feeling very good every day when I put an outfit together. It really feels, for the first time in a long time, as though my clothes "work" together for the life I'm actually living, as opposed to the life I imagine myself living, or the life I used to live 10 or 20 years ago, or the life I see in Vogue magazine!
"Dressing for the life I'm actually living..." love this, Elaine. The fashion industry would probably go bankrupt if we actually did this. :lol: But an intelligent concept that I am aiming for. :tup:

This is such a good idea! I might do a closet inventory too. I’ve been following this thread but haven’t posted much since I first made my New Years resolution because I’ve failed miserably at it so far :-s It’s sooo cold!!! And I have no motivation to plan different outfits when it’s cold because I never take my coat off anyway, even inside! I’ve never lived in a really warm climate but for some reason about 2 years ago I started to have a really bad intolerance towards the cold. I don’t feel comfortable in any climate that isn’t Mediterranean/Caribbean.. :facepalm: I’ve been wearing the same 2 pairs of jeans (I really hate jeans.. can’t wait until it warms up a bit and I can wear my tights with skirts and dresses) and like 5 sweaters this month. One of which I bought last week (so much for shopping my own closet).
On the bright side, I’ve been rotating my bags :tup: I wish I could wear my light bags that I don’t wear often but they get color transfer from black and denim, so once again I have to wait for better weather lol
Oh I feel for you. I do okay in general with the cold, but my skin has never been this dry! Thank God my region is finally getting a break.
I bought myself this full-size , bright pretty, colorful planner the week before New Years when I was doing some gift shopping. My mom was visiting with me a few days after New Years until last Tuesday. And with working full time and a bit of a work blow up in the middle of all this, my pretty planner went by the wayside!!
So I spent the end of this week crashing on the sofa after work and today was about piles of laundry. So glad I found this thread. I am going to go get that planner out now. The inventory starts tomorrow :yes:

Last edited:
I feel for you. My tolerance for cold has gone way down over the last 10 years or so. I never liked cold, but now I find it painful. Add to that, I’ve developed Raynauld Syndrome in my hands, which turn blue and hurt in the cold. Re. warddrobe, at least I like wearing jeans, but I am admittedly stuck in a rut with my daily outfits, which are invariably composed of jeans, a white t-shirt, and some sort of cashmere sweater. I am getting bored with myself!

Ouch, the hands thing sounds awful. I had some allergic reaction too, where my legs got red blotches from wearing tights in the cold. I had to wear them as part of my school uniform though, so I couldn’t do anything at the time and it went away eventually.

Also same with the daily outfit! I don’t like jeans because I end up wearing combinations of similar looking jeans and similar looking sweaters. Dresses let me have more variety, plus I find them comfier. Skinny jeans are so restrictive :panic:

Hi all :wave: just found this thread, and yes, I’m in!
I spent a lot of 2017 talking about reorganizing my bedroom, purging clothes and shoes and figuring how to sort and organize a then-growing (now holding even) collection of vintage Coach. A lot of talking. Now is the time for doing. Thanks all for your comments. I spent a lot of today doing laundry. Tomorrow afternoon is dedicated to hanging out in my bedroom and getting the ball rolling.

Welcome! You’ll find this thread is great for keeping you focused. Would love to (eventually) see pics of your vintage Coach collection!

I actually did that at the beginning of last year. And it resulted in a HUGE closet purge! I mean, what on earth was I doing with that many (notice I'm not saying the number) pairs of identical black pants???). And shoes for "some day"... when that "some day" was never going to come, since they had been oversized in the first place, and at my age my foot certainly was NOT going to grow larger!

So I packed up bags and bags of clothes to go to charity shops and I want to tell you... it was SUCH a great feeling to know that everything in my closet (1) fit well; (2) was something I loved; and (3) looked good on me.

I won't say that I completely "shopped my closet" in 2017, since I did buy some things at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, but I did use the "1 in, 3 out" rule to make sure my closet didn't get stuffed again. And now I'm going through the winter with no new clothing purchases since last August, and I'm feeling very good every day when I put an outfit together. It really feels, for the first time in a long time, as though my clothes "work" together for the life I'm actually living, as opposed to the life I imagine myself living, or the life I used to live 10 or 20 years ago, or the life I see in Vogue magazine!
And while I was doing laundry today, it occurred to me there were several sweaters I could get rid of as I bought several new ones recently. One in, three out, would make an amazing goal!! It’s funny, I have this Chico’s denim jacket I absolutely love, about 10 years old. But from washing, it's no longer dark, which is what I prefer. But I won’t shop for a new dark one because I know I would have to let this one go, or another one that I really love, lol.

Ouch, the hands thing sounds awful. I had some allergic reaction too, where my legs got red blotches from wearing tights in the cold. I had to wear them as part of my school uniform though, so I couldn’t do anything at the time and it went away eventually.

Also same with the daily outfit! I don’t like jeans because I end up wearing combinations of similar looking jeans and similar looking sweaters. Dresses let me have more variety, plus I find them comfier. Skinny jeans are so restrictive :panic:

I try to stay away from skinny jeans, although they look great. My favorite jeans are boyfriend jeans by Seven for all Mankind. They’re not great for cold weather, though, because they’re slightly distressed and those distressed areas let the cold in. :shocked:

I need to look into dresses more, especially when the warm weather comes. I hate shorts the same way you hate jeans — hopefully I’ll be able to find some casual dresses to give me some other options!

Oh I feel for you. I do okay in general with the cold, but my skin has never been this dry! Thank God my region is finally getting a break.
I bought myself this full-size , bright pretty, colorful planner the week before New Years when I was doing some gift shopping. My mom was visiting with me a few days after New Years until last Tuesday. And with working full time and a bit of a work blow up in the middle of all this, my pretty planner went by the wayside!!
So I spent the end of this week crashing on the sofa after work and today was about piles of laundry. So glad I found this thread. I am going to go get that planner now. The inventory starts tomorrow :yes:

Lucky! When it gets slightly warmer here it just means it’s going to rain. :hrmm:

I love using planners! I don’t use mine for outfit planning if that is what you were intending, but I do use it for uni work and writing down plans/appointments for the week. I didn’t used to use one and just kept the information in my head or on the Notes app.. it felt cluttered so I got into a planner habit and it’s helped tremendously. I use a mini one, easier to carry around :smile:

Reactions: dcooney4
I try to stay away from skinny jeans, although they look great. My favorite jeans are boyfriend jeans by Seven for all Mankind. They’re not great for cold weather, though, because they’re slightly distressed and those distressed areas let the cold in. :shocked:

I need to look into dresses more, especially when the warm weather comes. I hate shorts the same way you hate jeans — hopefully I’ll be able to find some casual dresses to give me some other options!

I find skinny jeans the most flattering. Especially the ones that stop at the ankle instead of bunching up at the bottom. I think all other jeans look weird on me and I’m jealous of people that can pull them off :P.

Not sure if I can give any suggestions about dresses. I get told mine are dressy even though I think they’re casual (if you’ve heard of Sandro, Maje or claudie pierlot I get a lot of dresses from there). I also love wool dresses when it’s cold but not too cold to wear tights :biggrin:

Lucky! When it gets slightly warmer here it just means it’s going to rain. :hrmm:

I love using planners! I don’t use mine for outfit planning if that is what you were intending, but I do use it for uni work and writing down plans/appointments for the week. I didn’t used to use one and just kept the information in my head or on the Notes app.. it felt cluttered so I got into a planner habit and it’s helped tremendously. I use a mini one, easier to carry around :smile:
I got it to just put thoughts down on paper. I like it on paper, as opposed to electronically. Some goal planning, to do lists. On the Coach Involuntary Ban, someone posted, what are your bags, slg goals for 2018? I realized I didn’t have a clear idea of how much I want to spend, what type of bags I wanted, accessories etc. Just a place to put all that.

I got it to just put thoughts down on paper. I like it on paper, as opposed to electronically. Some goal planning, to do lists. On the Coach Involuntary Ban, someone posted, what are your bags, slg goals for 2018? I realized I didn’t have a clear idea of how much I want to spend, what type of bags I wanted, accessories etc. Just a place to put all that.

Ah I see, I use my planners just for short term to-do listing. I keep my clothes/bags wishlist on my phone because I can easily add pictures to the note. With long term goal planning I know that realistically most things won’t get checked off the list, so I just don’t write it down but keep a mental note instead. :smile:

Reactions: can_do_mom
I find skinny jeans the most flattering. Especially the ones that stop at the ankle instead of bunching up at the bottom. I think all other jeans look weird on me and I’m jealous of people that can pull them off :P.

Not sure if I can give any suggestions about dresses. I get told mine are dressy even though I think they’re casual (if you’ve heard of Sandro, Maje or claudie pierlot I get a lot of dresses from there). I also love wool dresses when it’s cold but not too cold to wear tights :biggrin:

Those designers have cute stuff. What I really need to do, though, is suck it up and go try stuff on. I really can’t tell anything from a photo — have to try it on and see how it hangs on me.

I’d much rather try on bags. But that’s not a category where I need anything. :annoyed:

I have a Leuchtturm1917 blank notebook for stuff like that. Daily To Do lists, bag budget, wish lists, all kinds of stuff. I agree, there is something about writing it down on paper that really helps.

Reactions: Hobbsy and dcooney4