2018 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

@msd_bags - Do you want to tell us a little about the bag so we can help you think through it?
It's actually the Jimmy Choo Artie. I found a site where the black nappa is on sale several days after I posted a photo of the bag here. I hesitate with suede and the metallic bubble leather which are both on sale at the official site (and the nappa on sale is white). Saw them both IRL. Loved the suede but I'm scared of the leather. The metallic bubble leather did not call to me.

I've realized that I like these saddle style bags a lot. My Furla Club is a little similar though I don't use the Furla as an everyday bag because it is a bit small to my liking (as an everyday bag, but it is actually roomy). Plus, in the store, I thought what I was buying was grey. I only realized it was really olive when out in natural lighting. I'm finding it hard to match olive somehow. The size of the JC Artie is right as an everyday bag. I also really like the shorter shoulder strap on it (not really short), which is the strap drop that works for me.

This is the lowest price I've seen for the bag, a little less than 500 euros. With custom duties and taxes, the price is still reasonable. Boutique price here is about 1,450 euros converted. There is a thread in tpf about this particular site. Reviews regarding returns are bad. But I don't normally make returns, so I'm not that bothered.

I keep telling myself that it is likely that in the next sale period, some variants of this bag will again go on sale. I don't want to buy now (preferably) because I just bought/received new bags fairly recently. I want to give my wallet some rest. But this bag is really calling to me.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Yay, finally able to wear bag #1 for the least used challenge!! This got 2 uses in 2017. It’s part of my main collection so it should get more use.

I think I mentioned in the 2017 thread that one hesitation with this bag is the very gold tone hardware. But it’s a really nice bag. Wonderful red. Wonderful leather! And I got this brand new through my sister (only US billing address allowed) from Hautelook. No reason not to be in love with it as this is from the collection line of Marc Jacobs in 2013. Made in Italy. Really beautiful!! (Elaine has the smaller size.) So I don’t really understand why I have to force myself to use it. Maybe something to do also with MJ being no longer in the premier league?? I know it’s snobbery, no offense to anyone, but I’m really trying to find the reason for not craving for this. And my bags are more contemporary and at the lower end of premiere really.

Anyway, I walked to my desk from the car without the scarf. I just put it on later. Too much color to compensate for the black top, lol.
IMG_1516066145.247192.jpg
ETA; I think the bigger picture shows the more true to life color of the bag. It's not called Flame Red for nothing!

[emoji23] I’m almost wary to say I don’t have major temptations this month. There’s some pretty things that I’ve added on the wishlist (like the LV dog that’s available abroad, or the LV Vivienne Keychain) but I don’t go looking again after it’s added to the list.

It’s really weird to not want to chase something down and bug my SA to get it for me.

Well, of course you don’t need an LV dog — you just adopted a real dog and that’s so much better! :biggrin:

You're so right! The bag I've been waiting, dying to see is ready for pre-order at Gucci. Though I'll wait to see in person. I will have no rapprochement if it's as good as I hope. It's this one from Cruise/Resort '18 but the one I want is in snakeskin and is lined in pink leather.

Wow, PT, this is one amazing looking bag. Would it be for special occasions or would you dare to wear it as an everyday bag? (I personally love the idea of a bag like this for everyday, I just don’t think I could pull it off.)

Reactions: papertiger
Yay, finally able to wear bag #1 for the least used challenge!! This got 2 uses in 2017. It’s part of my main collection so it should get more use.

I think I mentioned in the 2017 thread that one hesitation with this bag is the very gold tone hardware. But it’s a really nice bag. Wonderful red. Wonderful leather! And I got this brand new through my sister (only US billing address allowed) from Hautelook. No reason not to be in love with it as this is from the collection line of Marc Jacobs in 2013. Made in Italy. Really beautiful!! (Elaine has the smaller size.) So I don’t really understand why I have to force myself to use it. Maybe something to do also with MJ being no longer in the premier league?? I know it’s snobbery, no offense to anyone, but I’m really trying to find the reason for not craving for this. And my bags are more contemporary and at the lower end of premiere really.

Anyway, I walked to my desk from the car without the scarf. I just put it on later. Too much color to compensate for the black top, lol.
View attachment 3935564
ETA; I think the bigger picture shows the more true to life color of the bag. It's not called Flame Red for nothing!

I love this style and love seeing it on this thread!

Reactions: msd_bags
Great thread with inspiring posts! I have dramatically reduced my bag collection since the middle of last year. Selling bags online and even giving some to friends and family who I know would use and enjoy them more than me. Went from 12 bags to 6 bags. 2 premier designer, 4 contemporary (2 of these nylon and for use on a rainy day only). In 2013 I got the bulk of my collection, was on a spending spree.. I would get a bag then tire of it quickly and get another, the pattern continues.

I see posts about having a Holy Grail bag. For me, I think I always admire the Chanel flap bag when I see it out and about. It's classic and timeless. I don't know if this'll satisfy my desire and keep me pretty much at the number I am at now(I'd like to just have a max of 5 premier designer in different styles/colors to suit my wardrobe), but if there is a bag I'll get in the future I do seem to be set on this one.

Great thread with inspiring posts! I have dramatically reduced my bag collection since the middle of last year. Selling bags online and even giving some to friends and family who I know would use and enjoy them more than me. Went from 12 bags to 6 bags. 2 premier designer, 4 contemporary (2 of these nylon and for use on a rainy day only). In 2013 I got the bulk of my collection, was on a spending spree.. I would get a bag then tire of it quickly and get another, the pattern continues.

I see posts about having a Holy Grail bag. For me, I think I always admire the Chanel flap bag when I see it out and about. It's classic and timeless. I don't know if this'll satisfy my desire and keep me pretty much at the number I am at now(I'd like to just have a max of 5 premier designer in different styles/colors to suit my wardrobe), but if there is a bag I'll get in the future I do seem to be set on this one.
It's wonderful to see you here!

Here's my two cents on Chanel. If I HAD to minimize my collection I would keep my work bags (want to catch a paycheck. Lol!), Chanel single flaps and Miss Dior flaps in that order. These flaps are large enough for me to actually carry my stuff, versatile enough to allow me to wear them in sneakers or for cocktails, and classic enough for me to enjoy til I'm old and grey and beyond.

So, I'm a huge fan girl of Chanel. But, my love is very specifically for the single flaps. Not the double flaps or minis or Kelly's or reissues or...nice bags. But no crazy love like for my SF's

My point to this is, don't be influenced by anybody else's Holy Grail. You've enjoyed, bought and sold. You know you. :flowers:

Reactions: taho and can_do_mom
my next one out of 12 scheduled, not that i needed to boost her rotation, she's pretty new (one of 2 i got for my BDay in Oct), i just WANTED to use it :P so, today it's out and does the job nicely without dragging away any bit of attention from my Holiest of all Grails - Hermes Christmas scarf i've been chasing like mad for almost a year!!
Finally! it's mine! debuting today :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_0956003.jpg
    IMG_20180116_0956003.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20180116_0955392.jpg
    IMG_20180116_0955392.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20180116_0955199.jpg
    IMG_20180116_0955199.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 167
[emoji23] I’m almost wary to say I don’t have major temptations this month. There’s some pretty things that I’ve added on the wishlist (like the LV dog that’s available abroad, or the LV Vivienne Keychain) but I don’t go looking again after it’s added to the list.

It’s really weird to not want to chase something down and bug my SA to get it for me.

[emoji106]

I think whats helping me in maintaining my resolution to hold off for at least 6months before making a purchase is that i’m still topping up my ‘bag funds account’.

I always try and have a minimum amount set aside for luxury items every year before making purchases. That way I don’t overdo things and i can prioritize purchases [emoji16].

I’m hoping to not deviate from my wishlist items this year; thankfully nothing is catching my fancy so i’m on track [emoji4]

[emoji106]

I think whats helping me in maintaining my resolution to hold off for at least 6months before making a purchase is that i’m still topping up my ‘bag funds account’.

I always try and have a minimum amount set aside for luxury items every year before making purchases. That way I don’t overdo things and i can prioritize purchases [emoji16].

I’m hoping to not deviate from my wishlist items this year; thankfully nothing is catching my fancy so i’m on track [emoji4]
Yay for being on track!!

Reactions: kemi
i decided to wear the grey tote today to take a final decision on that bag i have been mulling over, it's also Bal and also calfskin.
Velvety silky leather has tilted my scale towards going for it.
i have checked all the prices, options, re-sale market to make sure it's a good deal..
finally, i clicked that damn button and placed the order.
Hope, it will be a '100% success' as we agreed to call this :biggrin: