2017 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date night at the movies. I'm glad I'm getting a lot of use out of this little bag.

I'm so tempted to get it in red but I want variety so I'll have to find a small red crossbody I love as much...but not this year. LOL!
View attachment 3609181
This is such a cute bag! LV used to make a terrific red a couple of years ago... they called it "Rubis." (It's the color of the Capucines in my avatar.) A true red with blue undertones, not a tomato red. I'm not sure if they make that color any more.
I know you're not looking for this year, but just for future reference, in case you want to look in the reseller market.

I only online shop for bags because local doesn't sell it or it's cheaper online. I think it's also because Singapore is so small there are retail shops easily accessible for most things.

Today we went to the zoo. I used the mini pine Chelsea for the first time and I like it. Will use it tomorrow too.

I don't do orange or yellow bags [emoji169] I don't mind wearing yellow or orange strangely but not for bags. Love it on others but not on me [emoji28]

View attachment 3609525
It looks wonderful on you.

Reactions: ms p
I only online shop for bags because local doesn't sell it or it's cheaper online. I think it's also because Singapore is so small there are retail shops easily accessible for most things.

Today we went to the zoo. I used the mini pine Chelsea for the first time and I like it. Will use it tomorrow too.

I don't do orange or yellow bags [emoji169] I don't mind wearing yellow or orange strangely but not for bags. Love it on others but not on me [emoji28]

View attachment 3609525
You look great!

I'm the same way. I don't buy yellow or orange bags but I do wear yellow and orange.
This is such a cute bag! LV used to make a terrific red a couple of years ago... they called it "Rubis." (It's the color of the Capucines in my avatar.) A true red with blue undertones, not a tomato red. I'm not sure if they make that color any more.
I know you're not looking for this year, but just for future reference, in case you want to look in the reseller market.
Ooooh!!! That sounds great. I don't care for orangey reds but I'm crazy in loooove with true reds.

Reactions: ElainePG and ms p
I like your ticking system. It's a very good way to assess your needs. [emoji4]
Thanks. :smile: It's really helped me avoid buying some beautiful bags that I wouldn't have worn and would have regretted.
I love both online and store shopping. I love online shopping because I can usually score hard to find items from Farfetch or Matchfashion etc. I never ever return shoes as I know my size and style choices will work. I only buy brands I'm familiar with online so I have no issues there. My rule of thumb is never to buy cheap clothes online with exception of Zara which I love- because I can't tell the quality
I haven't tried Matchfashion. I need to take a peek. I also haven't tried Zara clothes. What store sells Zara?
Would be nice to do this exercise again as my collection has changed a lot! I will try to look for the 2016 pictures for each color.
Yes, maybe we should combine orange and yellow.

Right now, I feel that it's okay for me to concentrate on blacks, reds and blues. One piece maybe on some other colorful ones (yellow, green) and neutrals iike cream and grey. I used to fight the urge before to get same color bag but in different style. But now, for these 3 main colors that I know I favor, I am open to get them in various styles. An in looking at my current collection, the only ones I need in these colors are structured/boxy satchels.
I found all my photos from last year (yay!) I was floored at how much different my collection is. I knew I had done quite a bit of buying and selling but...Wow!
We're on the same page with our focus. My colors: blacks (including grey) , reds, blues (including turquoise / teal). I also add pink. And I'm also primarily looking for structured satchels.
I don't think it's rude. I just wrote out everything I currently consider part of my collection and it totals 21 bags, of which 9 are the same Longchamp Small Le Pliage in different colors, 3 are fabric crossbody bags I usually only use in the summer, 1 is a bag that has a lot of sentimental value, but I almost never wear, and 4 others are ones that do not spark any kind of joy and are really just placeholders until I find something that does spark joy and can replace them. I am not very happy with my collection. I don't feel like there is enough variation in style, but at the same time, I would like to get my bag count down to a more minimalistic number ... say 8 to 10 (or smaller). I'm going to be seriously considering what I really want my collection to contain and to look like for the rest of the year.
Good job on culling out the bags that you don't need and on starting to really think through / analyze what you want going forward! These are such important steps in creating a collection you'll love. :tup:

Thanks. :smile: It's really helped me avoid buying some beautiful bags that I wouldn't have worn and would have regretted.

I haven't tried Matchfashion. I need to take a peek. I also haven't tried Zara clothes. What store sells Zara?

I found all my photos from last year (yay!) I was floored at how much different my collection is. I knew I had done quite a bit of buying and selling but...Wow!
We're on the same page with our focus. My colors: blacks (including grey) , reds, blues (including turquoise / teal). I also add pink. And I'm also primarily looking for structured satchels.
Good job on culling out the bags that you don't need and on starting to really think through / analyze what you want going forward! These are such important steps in creating a collection you'll love. :tup:
Spark you will love Match.... really good pieces and alway can score a sale. Zara is chain of stores that do fast fashion. Way better than HM which I hate. They having great pieces that you can incorporate with your other high end pieces. Nearest one to me is in Chicago but one is scheduled to open in Michigan this year. They have excellent quality and they aren't cheap per say. I always use them for my high low mixes. Will post pic of few pieces from Zara I have scored

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I don't think it's rude. I just wrote out everything I currently consider part of my collection and it totals 21 bags, of which 9 are the same Longchamp Small Le Pliage in different colors, 3 are fabric crossbody bags I usually only use in the summer, 1 is a bag that has a lot of sentimental value, but I almost never wear, and 4 others are ones that do not spark any kind of joy and are really just placeholders until I find something that does spark joy and can replace them. I am not very happy with my collection. I don't feel like there is enough variation in style, but at the same time, I would like to get my bag count down to a more minimalistic number ... say 8 to 10 (or smaller). I'm going to be seriously considering what I really want my collection to contain and to look like for the rest of the year.
LV,

I have definitely been in your boat before wanting to totally rehaul my collection. I discovered I didn't have enough color and sold 4 bags my original group shot. I still on chopping block. I added the bags I loved in the colors i felt were important and I've never looked back. Based on your current count of 20 going to half could be tricky. It's definitely doable but you really need to think what you will cut out. You could start getting rid of what you don't love and work to replace off your to buy list. Do you have a total group shot of everything that you can post. The pic I had really opened my eyes and had me getting rid of everything

Last edited:
I am doing slow on my Week 3, The Brand. 3 days in a raw i carried the same Balenciaga City, now carrying bag #2 - First, in Outremer for a light weekend shopping errand :smile:

what is the strap you are using? i love my first, but sadly felt the strap is too short. am using the strap of my pt now.

got myself a new tiny wallet from le tanneur, french local brand. it was coin wallet size but has room for unfolded bill and some cards, so really like it for small bag. i put my other cards in my old coach legacy cardcase in fuchsia
. love the color and the leather!

I'm having a really hard time waiting to hear about the job I went to the second interview for yesterday. I am trying to use bag collection thoughts to not obsess.

My problem with not buying is that until I have a really great bag in every color that I want to have in my collection, I feel incomplete. I do not know why color is such a big deal to me, but I guess I just love the idea of having one just right bag in my sweet spot medium size in each neutral and alternative neutral tones that I love bags in. The problem is that the list of those colors can easily go over 20, it was 22 the last time I counted all the shades of leather I love most. And I only have half those colors accounted for.
Want to collect the other half! In different styles for the most part, I'm not that into exactly the same bag in many different colors. If it is a really great bag maybe 2-3 different leather versions but not more.
I don't know where this thinking comes from, is it just lust? I see a gorgeous taupe or port and I think to myself that I need one bag in that color! Why? Certainly one of my current bags will suffice for any scenario in which I would use one of the new colors but somehow I just want my favorite leather colors present in my collection. Should I try to reprogram my brain or just get methodological in slowly ticking off the other dozen tones of bags in my favorite shape/size like my heart longs to do? I could get a bag every couple of months and be done in two years.
Don't know!!!!

I like having a lot of colors and styles, but I also have 46 bags, so that's what happens when you fall down that rabbit hole.

What I've found is that my comfort level is all about not splitting my wears. I don't want to own a bag that is going to serve the exact same purpose as another one I already own, so if I'm looking at something that's a similar style, it needs to be a different color, and if it's a similar color, it needs to be a different style, etc. I have a section of my closet blocked off for the clothes that make up my very favorite outfits. If I hold up a purse to that section and I don't see a unique pairing, I know I shouldn't keep it.

Sparkletastic's approach makes a lot of sense to me, too:

There's no absolute right or wrong to this. Having a bag for every color works for some people and others just need one bag.

I'm a color loving girl and used to want a bag in every color. Then I started realizing I didn't wear bags in certain colors like purple or yellow. It's not that I didn't like the bag or the color. It's that other bags/colors worked better with my wardrobe.

So now I keep a log of colors I don't have that think I may want. Every day that I get dressed and think I would want one of those colors INSTEAD of a bag I have, it gets a tic mark. If a bag gets enough tick marks in 3-12 months I feel good about buying it. If not, I saved myself from getting a bag I like but just won't use.

That makes sense, I've actually been doing that as well, thinking to myself that if I get a second in a particularly basic or favorite neutral, then it can't be serving the exact same purpose. Either it's way lighter in weight, or totally different vibe or just somehow I would want to use it for a different purpose than the one I already have in that color.

Status
Not open for further replies.