2017 Montsouris backpack re-release: Neo

interesting. i have vintage montsouris in the mini and mm sizes. i am sure many will be glad for the canvas bottom on the new version, but honestly, i feel like when lv removes the vachetta on these bags ( montsouris and neonoe) the bags look less well made. the vachetta may be a point of worry for some, but to me it shows a level of detail that i just don't feel from the newer versions. i wonder if the new versions are simpler/less costly to make , since they don't include the leather bottoms, and they don't include the perfect stitching all along those vachetta bottoms. i wonder if this has a brass grab ring. my mm does, but my mini/pm has a lovely leather grab handle which i much prefer. without the vachetta, it just seems like less craftmanship. maybe it's just me, but i find myself admiring the vintage pieces more these days.

I have the vintage of this backpack and I just love it. Nice to see it is making a comeback howeverI think the vachetta bottom while really a pain in the you know what does make this bag so its a bit sad to see it didn't make the redesign.

I have the GM and I agree (I wore it today, so I'm looking at it now. lol) I think the way it's made is SO solid. Attaching the straps to the bottom vachetta is much better than attaching it directly to the canvas. From the image it seems like neo will be attached on the canvas. Also the pocket is not separate, so if you stuff the bag, you won't be able to fit anything into the pocket...

Reactions: prepster
, but honestly, i feel like when lv removes the vachetta on these bags ( montsouris and neonoe) the bags look less well made. the vachetta may be a point of worry for some, but to me it shows a level of detail that i just don't feel from the newer versions. i wonder if the new versions are simpler/less costly to make , since they don't include the leather bottoms, and they don't include the perfect stitching all along those vachetta bottoms..
I agree with you 100%.

Reactions: uhpharm01 and lvmk
interesting. i have vintage montsouris in the mini and mm sizes. i am sure many will be glad for the canvas bottom on the new version, but honestly, i feel like when lv removes the vachetta on these bags ( montsouris and neonoe) the bags look less well made. the vachetta may be a point of worry for some, but to me it shows a level of detail that i just don't feel from the newer versions. i wonder if the new versions are simpler/less costly to make , since they don't include the leather bottoms, and they don't include the perfect stitching all along those vachetta bottoms. i wonder if this has a brass grab ring. my mm does, but my mini/pm has a lovely leather grab handle which i much prefer. without the vachetta, it just seems like less craftmanship. maybe it's just me, but i find myself admiring the vintage pieces more these days.

Completely agree

I have the GM and I agree (I wore it today, so I'm looking at it now. lol) I think the way it's made is SO solid. Attaching the straps to the bottom vachetta is much better than attaching it directly to the canvas. From the image it seems like neo will be attached on the canvas. Also the pocket is not separate, so if you stuff the bag, you won't be able to fit anything into the pocket...

I have the vintage of this backpack and I just love it. Nice to see it is making a comeback howeverI think the vachetta bottom while really a pain in the you know what does make this bag so its a bit sad to see it didn't make the redesign.

I had the old version GM and put it through every manner of stuffing and maltreatment for about 15 years of daily use and heavy world travel. It was typical of the very best of the LV travel heritage--just an all-around fantastic, lightweight, roomy, practically indestructible bag. I sent it to spa at about year 10 and was able to replace much of the vachetta very reasonably, and carried it another 5 years. I'm sorry now that I sold it. Lol! It's probably still out there going strong!

I would love to have another Montsouris, but this version seems to be more of a fashion bag, than a work-horse. It doesn't appear there's much that could be repaired/replaced and that's an important feature to people (like me!) who really use these bags. The leather bottom and leather at the stress points and attachments is hugely important because it sits on the ground, gets shoved under plane seats, stuffed in cars, dropped, scraped, rained on and other general abuse from travel. I'll be sad if LV gets rid of their best, durable pieces with vachetta because people are upset that it patinas.

I had the old version GM and put it through every manner of stuffing and maltreatment for about 15 years of daily use and heavy world travel. It was typical of the very best of the LV travel heritage--just an all-around fantastic, lightweight, roomy, practically indestructible bag. I sent it to spa at about year 10 and was able to replace much of the vachetta very reasonably, and carried it another 5 years. I'm sorry now that I sold it. Lol! It's probably still out there going strong!

I would love to have another Montsouris, but this version seems to be more of a fashion bag, than a work-horse. It doesn't appear there's much that could be repaired/replaced and that's an important feature to people (like me!) who really use these bags. The leather bottom and leather at the stress points and attachments is hugely important because it sits on the ground, gets shoved under plane seats, stuffed in cars, dropped, scraped, rained on and other general abuse from travel. I'll be sad if LV gets rid of their best, durable pieces with vachetta because people are upset that it patinas.

I think people forget you can replace leather but not canvas!

Well said. I have the vintage GM Montsouris and actually thought about selling it. I won't now. I agree these vintage pieces appear to be better made with superior craftsmanship. These newer versions are giving me a better appreciation for vintage LV.

Keep it. I miss mine. :crybaby:As long as the interior is in good shape and the canvas isn't ripped, the spa will take it, and they do a great job. Mine came back looking good as new. It's been a while now so I don't remember, but they also either replaced one of my web straps or fixed a small tear in it at the top near the leather attachment. (This bag had a LOT of miles :smile: ) Another great feature is that it is roomy, but not so big that it won't count as a "personal item," on a plane. Which is great if you don't like to check your bags.

Last edited: