2011 Golden Globe Nominees - Did Your Favs Make the List?

Personally, I don't like it when a comedian ridicules someone who is now clean and sober (and has been for awhile) by joking about rehab and jail as he did with RDJ. De Niro's joke about deportation wasn't funny at all, IMO.

This wasn't a roast, where that humor could be expected.

Did anyone watch E!'s Fashion Police last night? They picked Anne Hathaway for best dressed. Angelina was someone's top pick too. They were ok but I thought there were several better.

I didn't think it was funny either...maybe because I like RDJ.

I thought Gervais was funny. Isnt it interesting that people who get paid millions of dollars to act and write cannot take a joke. Three hours of jabs Vs. A 24/7 life of ass kissing and they still can't take it. Talk about egos.

Personally, I don't like it when a comedian ridicules someone who is now clean and sober (and has been for awhile) by joking about rehab and jail as he did with RDJ. De Niro's joke about deportation wasn't funny at all, IMO.

This wasn't a roast, where that humor could be expected.

Did anyone watch E!'s Fashion Police last night? They picked Anne Hathaway for best dressed. Angelina was someone's top pick too. They were ok but I thought there were several better.

I know, ET (CoJo) chose Halle Berry as their Best Dressed!! :yucky:
That wasn't a dress, IMO, it was a body suit or corset w/a wrap around skirt (two local fashion editors/stylists also chose her as their Best Dressed!)! He also included Scarlett Johansen but made no mention of her hair!! Both ET & Access Hollywood included January Jones on their lists of Best Dressed, as well as Angelina & Anne Hathaway. I was also surprised that ET chose Nicole Kidman (I think she was their 2nd or 3rd choice!) - Overall, I strongly disagreed with a lot of the picks for Best Dressed --

it looks top heavy like a wig

Look at those bangs!! They really change the entire look of her face! Her face actually looks rounded and heavier -- I also think the hair is a little too "poofy." Maybe the combination of the two is why I disliked it so much last night

attachment.php

<LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Presenter disappeared halfway through ceremony and returned 'subdued'
Gay jibe about 'famous Scientologist actors' drew gasps from audience

Ricky Gervais today insisted he had not been carpeted at the Golden Globes after subjecting a room full of speechless American stars to lewd jibes at last night's ceremony.

He vanished from the stage in the middle of the awards show, leading to speculation that he had been carpeted. Viewers said that when he returned some time later he looked subdued.

A spokesperson for the comedian today called rumours he was chastised by bosses 'utter rubbish' fueled by 'Twitter speculation.'

Gervais insists the the mood backstage was 'great' and his extended time away from the camera was planned.

Scroll down for the video...

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347874-0CCB18A5000005DC-420_634x422.jpg Close to the knuckle: Host Ricky Gervais left the Golden Globes audience gasping as he made an outrageous joke about the sexuality of an unnamed Scientologist actor

'I did every single introduction I was meant to. There just happened to be a long gap,' Gervais told the New York Daily News via email.

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/18/article-1348071-0CCF9C03000005DC-525_306x850.jpg

'This is because I was allowed to choose who I would introduce in advance. I obviously chose presenters who I had the best jokes for. (And who I knew had a good sense of humour). Everyone took it well and the atmosphere backstage and at the after show was great.'

Well, not everyone. Today the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association blasted the comedian for his routine, saying he had 'crossed the line' with some of his jokes.

It's unclear if HFPA President Philip Berk will support Gervais coming back next year for a third time.

'Some of the things he said were totally unacceptable,' he told The Hollywood Reporter.

Berk added: 'He definitely crossed the line. And some of the things were totally unacceptable. But that's Ricky. Any of the references to individuals is certainly not something the Hollywood Foreign Press condones.'

But Berk also dismissed claims that the British comic was either fired or told off when he was missing for an hour during the show.

He dismissed those rumours as being 'ridiculous.'

He says: 'He was never called on the carpet, or given a warning or anything else.'

Of course, Berk had earlier been on the receiving end of one of Gervais' jibes.

The comedian announced that Eva Longoria have 'the daunting task' of introducing Berk, the association's president.

'That's nothing,' Gervais added. 'I just had to help him off the toilet and pop his teeth in.'

Before offering his greetings to the audience, Berk, wearing a tight smile, said: 'Ricky, next time you want me to help you qualify your movie, go to another guy.'

During the three-hour ceremony the 49-year-old insulted just about everyone in the film industry.

More...

Bravo, Ricky Gervais! A risqué attack on self-loving Tinseltown
Did you pay someone to choose that dress for you? The fashion faux pas at the Golden Globes afterparties
Spider-Man's Andrew Garfield does whatever a spider can... but not after a very long night of partying at Golden Globes
That was Swift! Jake Gyllenhaal finds a new date after split from country cutie Taylor
How rich is Ricky Gervais? (thisismoney.co.uk)

Taking a pop at Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp for their film The Tourist, he said: ‘Seems like everything this year was three-dimensional. Except the characters in The Tourist.

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347874-0CCC4C5A000005DC-905_634x316.jpg Tickled: Johnny Depp, a self-declared Anglophile, laughed at Gervais's dig about him and his latest film The Tourist

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347874-0CCB8D40000005DC-661_634x356.jpg Just smile, darling: Gervais also took a pop at Angelina Jolie, seen here with Brad Pitt, as he slated her latest film The Tourist

‘I tell you what, I’m jumping on the bandwagon, because I haven’t even seen The Tourist. Who has?’

Gervais also took a dig at the Hollywood Foreign Press, who were the evening's hosts, for nominating Burlesque after being bribed with tickets to a Cher concert.

He added that it wasn't a halfway decent bribe anyway because no one has wanted to go to a Cher concert since 1975.

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347874-0CCB2203000005DC-318_634x826.jpg Sense of humour failure: Robert Downey Jnr didn't take too kindly to Gervais's wisecracks and hit out at the comedian as he presented an award

To gasps from the Beverly Hills audience, he referred to one film featuring ‘two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay, so the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists then’.

Gervais added: 'My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke.'

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347874-0CCB1241000005DC-252_306x423.jpg Insulted: Hollywood Foreign Press Association President Philip Berk told Gervais to find someone else to qualify his movies

The comedian also said that Sex And The City 2 should have won the special effects award for ‘the team that airbrushed that poster’.

'Girls, we know how old you are. I saw one of you in an episode of Bonanza.'

And he introduced Robert Downey Jr by saying: ‘Many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail.’

Sauntering on stage, Downey took a little bow, then quipped: 'Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited, with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show is pretty good so far, wouldn't you?'

Bruce Willis was unimpressed after Gervais referred to him as ‘Ashton Kutcher’s dad’. (Kutcher is married to Willis’s ex-wife, Demi Moore, and is stepfather to their three daughters.)

He walked on to stage and said pointedly: 'Some people get very lucky in Hollywood, don't they Ricky',

Gervais also let rip when he introduced Toy Story's Tim Allen and Tom Hanks.

He went into a lengthy list of all of Hanks's achievements and accolades over the years before adding: 'The other ... is Tim Allen.'

Hanks said: 'We can recall back when Ricky Gervais was a slightly chubby but very kind comedian.'

And Allen added: 'Neither of which he is now.'

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347874-0CCBA619000005DC-194_634x596.jpg In on the act: Tom Hanks and Tim Allen took a pop at Gervais saying he was no longer fat - but also no longer funny

TODAY'S POLL

Did Ricky Gervais go too far at the Golden Globes?

Yes

No

VOTE i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-999-0CCB18A5000005DC-285_108x76.jpg

POLL RESULTS

Close

All polls Click to view yesterday's poll results

Troubled Two And A Half Men star Charlie Sheen was lampooned too.

'It's going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking,' Gervais began his monologue, sipping from a glass of what looked like beer.

'Or, as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast.'

As the ceremony continued, it became clear that Gervais had been absent from the stage for a long time. TV host Piers Morgan wrote on Twitter: ‘Gervais not seen for an hour now. What the hell happened.’

He wrote that when Gervais returned to the stage, he looked ‘haunted’.

The New York Times wrote: ‘It was Mr Gervais’s second chance to host the Golden Globes; he may not get a third.’

The Los Angeles Times said his jokes set 'a corrosive tone' for the night, while TV critic Mary McNamara said: 'The opposite of dull and deferential is not snotty and abusive.'

'It would not have been surprising to see a hook emerge suddenly stage left or to learn that the host had taken 'suddenly ill',' she added.

However, he did have some support, Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker had nothing but praise for him: 'Thanks once again to Ricky Gervais for bringing the sort of funny rudeness and effrontery... that make an awards show such as the Golden Globes engaging to watch.'

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347874-0CCB8D90000005DC-851_306x423.jpg

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347874-0CCBAAAC000005DC-646_306x423.jpg

Genius: Sean 'Diddy' Combs and Andrew Garfield praised Gervais

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/17/article-1347874-0CCACEA9000005DC-822_634x569.jpg High expectations: Ricky poses on the red carpet with his partner Jane Fallon before he went on to upset most of Hollywood

Gervais received support from rapper and actor Sean 'Diddy' Combs, who said he was 'really enjoying it' and that the comedian was 'doing an excellent job'.

Rising British actor Andrew Garfield admitted it had been a cringe-worthy performance: 'He's been terribly nasty and horribly rude and I think he's genius.'

Fellow Brit Christian Bale said he didn’t feel Gervais pushed the envelope enough and added: 'Thank God for comedians, they have the most important job. I hope he keeps going further!'

The comedian himself admitted he had not been asked back after the show. ‘That’s ominous, isn’t it? So I probably won’t be here next year.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...s-NOT-gagged-Golden-Globes.html#ixzz1BQ5mAdlC
[/QUOTE]

I don't care for the bangs on her at all. She has such gorgeous eyes and they are hidden by that "poof" of hair...

Sandra Bullock looked lovely but I wasn't really feeling the bangs either. I think it's good that she tried something different but she looks better with longer hair and/or long layers which frame her face rather then heavy looking bangs that hide her pretty features.

Some random funny pics.

Courtesy of Dlisted.

Michael Douglass is hilarious in the background.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• michaeldouglasphotobomb.jpg
    michaeldouglasphotobomb.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 115
  • angiebieber1.jpg
    angiebieber1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I agree with Anne Hathaway for best dressed, I thought she looked classic and nice.

January Jones always tries to show too much skin - I think she has a "Look at me! I'm hot too!" complex because of all the attention Christina Hendricks (her co-star on Mad Men) gets. Still, I loved her hair and although I think the dress was a bit skimpy for a red carpet, she did rock it out.

Speaking of Mad Men, I totally dug Christina Hendricks' dress, but the hair ruined it for me. I love her and think she's gorgeous, but her hair styles never work. She always tries to go big and poufy and wavy. Maybe she's rebelling against the structured updos she wears on Mad Men? I think she needs to hire the Mad Men stylists to do her hair before a red carpet event. A sleek updo with that red dress would have put her in the best dressed running.

I thought Natalie Portman was really cute. I know some of the Fashion Police reports busted on the pink & red combo as too Valentine-y, but it was so cheerful and made me happy.

Sandra Bullock's hair was beyond bad. Bangs too long and too thick, and ends too stringy and flat.

I don't get why Angelina got voted best anything. Her hair looked awful and that dress belonged on a 1986 episode of Dynasty.

Last edited:
I thought Gervais was funny. Isnt it interesting that people who get paid millions of dollars to act and write cannot take a joke. Three hours of jabs Vs. A 24/7 life of ass kissing and they still can't take it. Talk about egos.

Agree..I thought he was funny too. He's a comedian for gosh sakes..that's part of his deal.

I read it on a few blogs that yes ... that was her areola.

Ugh those were the boring-est dresses ever. Count me in as someone who doesn't get the Olivia Wilde adoration. Her dress was just meh. It was too much for the Golden Globes.

I said the same thing to my guy too..wondering if it was.

So sad -- Laura Linney couldn't be there Sunday night (she was expected to attend) because her father passed away on Saturday. My thoughts are with her!!

Apparently Renee Zellweger was also supposed to attend and present an award, but Bradley Cooper's father passed away so she stayed with him

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b221342_reneacutee_zellweger_joins_bradley.html

Renée Zellweger Joins Bradley Cooper in Mourning His Late Dad

Laura Linney wasn't the only actress who had personal reasons for missing the Golden Globes.

Scheduled presenter Renée Zellweger skipped the party Sunday night to be with beau Bradley Cooper, whose father, Charles Cooper, died Jan. 15 after a long illness.

The couple has been spending time with Cooper's family in Pennsylvania. Charles, a retired Merrill Lynch broker who thanks to his hunky son had a cameo in The A-Team as "Judge Advocate No. 3," is survived by Brad, daughter Holly and wife Gloria.

Linney, who was named Best Actress in a TV Series, Comedy, missed the ceremony after the passing of her own father, playwright Romulus Linney, on Saturday.

Well He didn't offend enough people, cause Ricky is invited back.

Funnyman says he's been asked back despite - or inspite? - of the controversy he caused hosting last month's ceremony
Ricky Gervais has revealed he's already been asked to present the Golden Globes next year - but he's not sure he should.
The former Office funnyman, 49, has announced: 'The ratings went up again, and the organisers asked me to consider a third year. (But) I don’t think I should. I don’t know what I could do better. I certainly couldn’t get more press for them, that’s for sure.
And with reference to The Office, the show in which he made his name, he quipped: 'You know me. Two seasons is enough.'

Round three? Ricky Gervais has revealed he has been asked to present the Golden Globes again next year

Writing in this week's Heat magazine, Gervais mused: 'I did exactly what I went to do: improve on last year’s and have a laugh. The response was staggering. It was discussed on every news channel and chat show for weeks.
'The weird thing is, the question is always, “Did Ricky go too far?” And the answer is always, “No.” I have yet to find anyone who was actually offended by it.'
Back in the office: Ricky also reprised his role of David Brent in the U.S. version of The Office alongside Steve Carell on the American version last week

However, the Reading-born star didn't reveal whether or not he'd said yes or no to hosting the event for the third time in a row.

More...Bringing up baby: Natalie Cassidy takes daughter onto Loose Women following Denise Van Outen working mother row
Gordon Ramsay's £5 million golden handcuffs deal with Channel 4 in danger after shark fishing controversy
Back to his roots: Chris Evans confesses to 'colouring' his hair red after it went white - but says it's now 'over-dyed'

Ricky defended his controversial performance at the Golden Globes last month, claiming it was his job to ‘roast’ the stars at the ceremony.
The comedian came in for heavy criticism for aiming a succession of barbed personal jokes at many of the gathered celebrities.
Slim: Ricky posted a funny picture of himself in gold pants

However, in an interview with Piers Morgan afterwards for his CNN show, the star hit back, saying: ‘I'm sorry if they were offended but I'm not sorry for anything I said.
'They hired me for a job and if they didn’t want me, they shouldn’t have hired me.'
During the three-hour ceremony, the 49-year-old shocked the Beverly Hills audience, by referring to one film featuring 'two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay.’ He added: ‘So the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists then'.
Gervais also introduced Robert Downey Jr by saying: 'Many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail.'

But Ricky defended his jibes, insisting: 'Don’t forget, I’ve got to be an outsider there. I mustn’t come out there as everyone’s mate and schmooze. That’s nauseating. I’ve got to come out there and I’ve got to roast them.’

A spokesman for the HFPA said afterwards: ‘When you hire a comedian like Ricky Gervais, one expects in your face, sometimes outrageous material.

‘Certainly, in this case, he pushed the envelope and occasionally went too far. The HFPA would never condone some of his personal remarks. Overall, however, the show was among the best we've ever had and we were pleased.’

It is the second time that Gervais has presented the Golden Globe Awards. Last year he made gave an equally controversial performance, which again included a series of risqué jokes about Hollywood stars.
He told the crowd: ‘I like a drink as much as the next man, unless the next man is Mel Gibson,’ a reference to the actor’s drunken arrest in 2006.
He also made a quip about Sir Paul McCartney’s bitter £24million divorce from Heather Mills, saying: ‘We actually came over on the same flight, but I didn’t get to speak to him. I was up in the front in first class and he was behind me in coach saving money. He spent an awful lot last year.’
Ricky's Golden Globes - the return - announcement comes just days after he reprised his role of David Brent on the US version of his BBC show The Office.
Gervais, who co-created The Office with comedy partner Stephen Merchant and is now an executive producer on the US series, appear as Brent in a cameo role on 27 January in America, alongside The U.S. star, Steve Carell.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...vais-despite-months-furore.html#ixzz1CiuVRVG5

this is a rumor -- the Globes President has said that they have not asked him to host a 3rd time

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b223636_true_false_has_ricky_gervais_been_asked.html?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Maybe the third time he'll be a charm.

Ricky Gervais is claiming the Hollywood Foreign Press Association has already asked him to consider a third go-round at the Golden Globes, despite all the backlash after his controversial second stint when he bashed Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie and pretty much everyone else in the room (not to mention those who weren't).

So, should Hollywood be worried about the 2012 ceremony? This rumor is...

So false!

"The ratings went up again, and the organisers asked me to consider a third year," Gervais writes in a Globes diary for the U.K.'s Heat magazine. "I don't think I should. I don't know what I could do better. I certainly couldn't get more press for them, that's for sure."

But when we reached the HFPA, they said otherwise.

"There is no truth to this rumor," the group's President, Philip Berk tells E! News. "We have not asked him to come back. Nice try, Ricky."

Seems like the joke's on Gervais now.

In the wake of his hosting appearance, the comic had defended himself to talk host Piers Morgan, saying that if the HFPA didn't like it they shouldn't have hired him in the first place. Morgan agreed, telling the comic that people knew exactly what he was going to deliver.

Still, Gervais probably shouldn't have expected the HFPA to roll out the welcome mat again. After this year's show, Berk— who had been the butt of a joke involving a toilet and false teeth—complained that Gervais had "crossed the line."

So it looks like Gervais won't be doing it again. Not at the Globes, anyway.