2 spy or not 2 spy

Aug 21, 2007
THAT IS THE QUESTION:confused1: I am new to the Fendi side of the forum, hi to everyone, but definately not new to gorgeous bags:yahoo:I was hoping that you all could help me with possibly choosing the right spy bag. I have briefed myself with the basics and know that I would be looking for a non-special type of spy bag.What I mean is, I'm not looking to go over the top with spending on one of the exotic type spy bags, so I narrowed my choices from the list of seasonal colors, permanent colors and Zucca spys.
Please give your opinion from any of the above mentioned lists, and why you think that would be a good choice. I value opinions from all sources, whether you have a spy or not, but if you do have a certain spy bag that you are recommending, please tell me why you love it and also any drawbacks if there are some.
I know some of you will tell me to go to the boutique/store and try them on and I appreciate that and will of course be doing so, but I want to go in with a good sense of what I am looking for.
HERE IS MY CRITERIA....I am not interested in the BABY SPY'S, JUST THE NORMAL SIZED ONES. I AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST ALL AROUND FUNCTIONAL, GOOD TASTE, GOOD WEARING, GO'S WITH A LOT, STURDY, NOT TOO FUSSY IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHER, BEAUTIFUL SPY BAG THAT YOU CAN SUGGEST.
THE COLOR OF BAGS THAT I HAVE THE MOST OF CURRENTLY IS BLACK (who doesn't hey) AND THEN THE NEXT WOULD BE BROWN. IF YOU SUGGEST IN THE BLACK OR BROWN FAMILY PLEASE GIVE YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS OF THESE COLORS, NOT JUST YOUR VIEW FOR ME.
I APPRECIATE ALL THE FEEDBACK I CAN GET, AS I AM THINKING OF GETTING ONE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS, DEPENDING ON FEEDBACK.

BEFORE WE GET STARTED , I DO HAVE A QUICK QUESTION REGARDING THE HANDLES ON THE ZUCCA/NAPPA.....what are they made of, and are they comfortable to wear? Are the handles always done like this or is there another version of this same bag with different handles? (there is one on 5th letter of the alphabet BAY right now like this)
TIA:heart:

Last edited:
If you want to use it all the time and all types of weather, then I recommend the zucca spy. The zucca material is very durable. The handles of the zucca spy are tortunga. I think it's leather treated to look like turtle. I have not seen an authentic zucca spy with any other type of handle. The all leather spys have woven handles.

Thank you kiss_p for your response. :heart:
Yes the zucca/nappa Spy was one that I seen and was thinking of as one of my choices.You say the fabric is really durable, well this is something to consider for sure. I wonder how it would hold up in the rain.
Do you own any spy bags? If not, any fendi bags at all, and what do you think of the quality?

I typed a whole lengthy post and the connection was lost and the whole thing was gone !!!! URGH!!!

Here goes-

First of, this message made me laughed:roflmfao:!

We come from the "same side of the house" so I just want to share with you why I decded to spy.

I saw the bag IRL and loved the softness of the leather. This is one of the things that are important for me. The bag dosent scream FENDI and brings class to it. Bag is roomy and functional.

I chose the color COGNAC because its versatile. It matches most of the clothes in my wardrobe. I was also watching a mix brown and black Spy on Ebay but the price was off. After doing some research, I decided not to pay more than 1200 so I decided to go for th Cognac. I also prefer the regular Spy than the baby Spy. I personally think thats a better size. I am about 5"2 and weighs 5 kgs- and the Spy fits me perfect.

Oh, I personally dont like the zucca/ nappa kind. I am like, if we like zucca, then go zucca, if nappa, go nappa... I dont think the mix zucca/ nappa is as chic as a mono color spy- THATS JUST ME though, mix zucca lovers, dont shoot me!

P.S. Dont feel bad about no one posting... I started a thread too on the Cognac and I had only about 4 posts so far (including yours)!! LOL!!!

Good Luck on your hunt, I think it wouldnt hurt to buy a one tone color Spy!!

Post modelling pics when you get your Spy! I ill be around to share your joy! You officially owe me a popcorn and a coke now :yahoo:

Oh wow, tough crowd:wtf:
okay if I promise free popcorn during the reveal, will that help??;)
ANYONE!!!:heart:

Last edited:
hello, i have just one fendi purse & it is the fendi spy in black. i love it so much. the leather is so soft. it is big enough to carry just about anything. i get some compliments on it too. i just have a few bags & this is definitely my fave. i can wear it with just about anything...i think it's a perfect day to night bag. i am not sure about the durability if you wear it from diff seasons/weather coz i tend to rotate my bags every week/month. i hope this helps. good luck & please post modelling pics as soon as you get yours!

I would say the Zucca spy...I think it's beautiful and it will go with pretty much anything you wear. Plus if you have a lot of Black and Brown bags this one will definitely stand out from them because of the Zucca print...I have 2 spys..the Fortuny and the Metallic Silver and I absolutely LOVE them! I think the Spy is one of the best bags out there. Good luck deciding and I would love to see pictures!!!:tup:

I have a zucca spy hobo - love it - it's a great dark brown & the zucca print is eye catching - but for overall classic "forever" status, I would choose the black. There has been very little complaint about flaws leather rub / blushing or deterioration showing on this color. Some of the lighter colors may be hard to look after, and some of the earlier browns can fade somewhat... I'd say if you are only after 1 - I'd get the black! Next I'd say the choc brown or zucca and agree with the above comments on the zucca. Ultimately though, your final choice should be the one you truely have your heart set on.

My first thought was the honey colorered spy. It would go with anything and great for summer or winter. Then, I thought well, what colors are even available now so i researched. There is a creme w/black handles on annsfabulousfinds. That is a pretty bag IMO. Not sure how the cream would be in the winter though? Also, on NM is the pomagrant one. Thats a nice color to add to anyones collection! I guess on ebay some authentic spys in various colors pop up too. I also agree with the others as far as the zucca spy. That would be totally wearable in bad weather and does go with anything, can be dressed up or down. Black is always nice but you said you have a lot of black bags already - but you can never have too many, lol
Sorry for the rambling, trying to be helpful. I just love helping people pick out bags, especially since I can't afford any new ones right now!

Hi,

I was in the same position as you, I wanted a functional everyday usable bag that wouldnt look out of place at work, the supermarket, the school run or a nice dinner out. A bag for everything. I fell in love with the woven choc spy, but had concerns about the durability, and in the end it just didnt feel like an every occasion bag. So, with heavy heart I passed on it. Then it was a straight choice between a choc spy or a black one, I knew I wanted all leather, most people love the leather on the spy's. I decided ultimatley on the plain black spy, simply because it will go with everything, and its just a classic, functional, beautiful item that will last me a long time rather than a very expensive fashion accessory. So, it has been ordered and is on its way to me, hopefully it should arrive by the weekend!

Good luck with your spy hunt, let us know how you get on!

Hi,

I was in the same position as you, I wanted a functional everyday usable bag that wouldnt look out of place at work, the supermarket, the school run or a nice dinner out. A bag for everything. I fell in love with the woven choc spy, but had concerns about the durability, and in the end it just didnt feel like an every occasion bag. So, with heavy heart I passed on it. Then it was a straight choice between a choc spy or a black one, I knew I wanted all leather, most people love the leather on the spy's. I decided ultimatley on the plain black spy, simply because it will go with everything, and its just a classic, functional, beautiful item that will last me a long time rather than a very expensive fashion accessory. So, it has been ordered and is on its way to me, hopefully it should arrive by the weekend!

Good luck with your spy hunt, let us know how you get on!
Great choice!:tup:

mine is the silver/gold handle spy. it goes with every thing. can dress up for dinner, dress down with jeans. i am 157 cm and it's not too big on me. it will be a big departure from your normal colour variation.
although it's not availble anymore, but i believe you can still obtain the full light gold version. best wish and do post us a picture.

I do not think spies do well in all types of weather. Rain marks the leather, yes you can protect them with sprays although I would not recommend this. The Leather on spies is super soft. I guess the only spy I would recommend for every day use would be a black one - if you was not going to use it every day, one of my favourites is the one in my aviator, but it is a LE and a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalhyness
Oh wow, tough crowd:wtf:
okay if I promise free popcorn during the reveal, will that help??;)
ANYONE!!!:heart:

I typed a whole lengthy post and the connection was lost and the whole thing was gone !!!! URGH!!!

^^So sorry to hear that. I have had that happen to me too, so frustrating isn't it, bloody cwap, lol.

Here goes-

First of, this message made me laughed:roflmfao:!
^^So glad you appreciated my sense of humor!

We come from the "same side of the house" so I just want to share with you why I decded to spy.

^^Hi, and yes I adore Chanel...as a matter of fact I am in tracking down mode on a new lovely this very moment. If I succeed the "SPY" will have to wait for a bit, but I still want to hear and read everyones thoughts so I can be more educated for when the time does come to get mine.

I saw the bag IRL and loved the softness of the leather. This is one of the things that are important for me. The bag dosent scream FENDI and brings class to it. Bag is roomy and functional.

^^Very good points, thank you.

I chose the color COGNAC because its versatile. It matches most of the clothes in my wardrobe. I was also watching a mix brown and black Spy on Ebay but the price was off. After doing some research, I decided not to pay more than 1200 so I decided to go for th Cognac. I also prefer the regular Spy than the baby Spy. I personally think thats a better size. I am about 5"2 and weighs 5 kgs- and the Spy fits me perfect.

^^I seen your cognac and it is a gorgeous color.
Not on %bay, but off of the spy list, I think I seen the black and brown one that you are referring to. That is a beautiful bag, but I don't think could be one of my choices as the store that I would (when I do) be purchasing it at is a little limited in their selections. As it stands now, I could choose between the following three: zucca/nappa - black - or cognac - fortunately for me those 3 choices are pretty good. The only one that they are missing is the chocolate one that i might want to pick from, oh well. Anyways could you tell me how much the regular sized Spy's go for where you live, I am in Canada and they range in price between approx $1950.00 - $2300.00 - yikes!! The higher end price is for the all leather ones.

Oh, I personally dont like the zucca/ nappa kind. I am like, if we like zucca, then go zucca, if nappa, go nappa... I dont think the mix zucca/ nappa is as chic as a mono color spy- THATS JUST ME though, mix zucca lovers, dont shoot me!

^^I found this funny:P cause it was actually the first one that I considered. You do make a very good point though....choose EITHER, OR, DON'T MIX.. I can be like that but it is very hard for me most times cause I am also a LIBRA and we have to have balance, so the zucca/ nappa to me kinda represents having both THE LOOK (THE LEATHER) AND THE DURABILITY (THE ZUCCA FABRIC) and by the way no gun here, lol

P.S. Dont feel bad about no one posting... I started a thread too on the Cognac and I had only about 4 posts so far (including yours)!! LOL!!!

^^I love that you were considerate enough to point this fact out to me, thank you so much, very kind.:heart:

Good Luck on your hunt, I think it wouldnt hurt to buy a one tone color Spy!!

^^Definately will be giving this point some thought.

Post modelling pics when you get your Spy! I ill be around to share your joy! You officially owe me a popcorn and a coke now :yahoo:

^^Yes I will and I do promise you popcorn and pop