2 ?s about 1yr old schnoodle

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
My male schnoodle puppy will be 1 at end of month. We have crate trained him since we got him from breeder on May 4,2008. Last night, we took him out twice about 8:00 and 9:00 PM (he went pee) but then went poo on our living room carpet:sweatdrop:. Shouldn't he be trained by now? We did have 4 inches of snow though which is the most we have had this winter. Do you think that could have something to do with his accident? Also, when will he stop chewing shoes, beanie babies, paper towels and other trash? I thought when dogs get older that they don't get into as much mischief. Is it possible that he'll always get into stuff or is it more common for dogs to slow down on chewing things after 18 months or 2 years old?

Odette

<3 life
O.G.
Aug 20, 2007
www.twitter.com
I don't know much about your mix of dog (poodle/schnauzer), but we have two bichon frises that were hard to train and very destructive in the beginning. One of them is now 2 1/2 years old and she very rarely chews on anything other than her own toys. She also is fully trained and has been since she was about a year old. My other bichon is 10 months old and she chews on anything she can get her mouth on - and she is still not fully trained. We're working on it but I firmly believe that some of the destructiveness is puppy stuff and they will grow out of it.

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
Our "Snoopy" is so cute that it is hard to stay mad at him when he chews stuff. I just hope that eventually he'll grow bored with it. It is hard to watch him constantly and he is not to be trusted! Maybe he'll be better in another 6 months in August!

chessmont

O.G.
Aug 22, 2006
CA
I have some dogs 6 -9 years old, that when the weather is bad they poop and sometimes pee in the house. That is just the way it is, I have not been able to change it. Thank goodness I live in CA so winter is not that long or bad.

Also, some dogs just like to chew no matter what age; I have a 4 year old I found her the other day chewing on the wooden arm of one of my once-beautiful living-roomm chair.

I ahve no great advice, except when not under strict supervision, crate him. Give him wonderful things to chew on (mine love Bully-sticks). I say "Bullysticks all around", and they all go running to their crates, I kid you not! That is where they get their treats.

All if mine no matter what age will get into the trash if it is available to them. Sorry, it is often like having a 2 year old child forever. My house has been as dog-proofed as possible for the 20 years I have had dogs. learned the hard way.

I used to have the neatest sno-globe collection. 'nuff said.

Last edited:

twiggers

O.G.
May 7, 2006
I don't know much about your mix of dog (poodle/schnauzer), but we have two bichon frises that were hard to train and very destructive in the beginning. One of them is now 2 1/2 years old and she very rarely chews on anything other than her own toys. She also is fully trained and has been since she was about a year old. My other bichon is 10 months old and she chews on anything she can get her mouth on - and she is still not fully trained. We're working on it but I firmly believe that some of the destructiveness is puppy stuff and they will grow out of it.
I think that is a trait of Bichons....at least I've read that they are notoriously hard to potty train.

I have a mini schnauzer and he was potty trained by about 3-4 months. He still has a couple accidents every now and then (he's 3 1/2 years old), but probably my fault (like waking up early in the morning and he can't wake me up to let him out).

My Mom has a mini schnauzer as well....he's 2 and still loves to chew on cardboard and stuff.

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
I was on TPF earlier this evening, facing the computer. Right behind me, our dog pulled a pair of gloves out of a bag and completely destroyed them. We let him chew on old socks that are missing mates. Perhaps the dog thought the gloves were socks??? Anyway he really enjoyed them. Our son was not too happy cause those are the ones he wears to shovel snow. I guess I'll be puppy-proofing again much of the weekend!