2 Part Reveal with a difference

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I've been after a Bay as a project bag for a while and came across this sad and neglected specimen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must admit that when I received her I did think I may have took on too much.

The leather was extremely dry, lots of stitching needed to be redone, all 4 bottom corners had the piping sticking out and the lock was broken.

2. I love these 'reveals' someone definitely got their monies worth with this bays........ How did it go?

3. I undertook a lot of research as to the best ways to try and restore her, including learning to sew leather, replace the lock and rejuvenate the leather.

It has taken many hours of cleaning,stripping, conditioning, recolouring the leather and finally protecting to bring suppleness back and to remove years of dirt and stains.

Replacing the lock was a challenge as I had to cut through the front seam and separate the 2 layers of leather to remove the broken lock and fit the new one.

Several places needed to be sewn, especially the rear handles, I invested in a sewing awl which made things a bit easier.

The piping was badly damaged, the correct way to fix this is to deconstruct the bag and replace the leather piping and reconstruct the bag. I really didn't want to do this so decided to improvise and bought a small piece of leather which I cut and glued onto all 4 corners, this was then dyed to match the rest of the bag.

Finally I made a bag insert to give her some structure and support.

Anyway. The bag only cost me £40 so I thought it was worth giving it a go, and to be honest I didn't think I could make it any worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has any ideas as to how old she is I'd love to know.

4. From where did you get the new lock?

5. Well done on your work

6. well done!! it went from looking absolutely destroyed to simply well-loved.

7. OK - this is very impressive! I first got interested in tPF because of the vintage Coach Rescue and Rehab Club thread. This is a top-notch rehab job you have done! Imaging the patience it takes for you to take this on, get the right materials, clean the bag, sew, condition the leather, hardware too - that's not easy! Well done, and thank you for sharing the photos. I think it looks fantastic, and it's testament to your patience.

8. Well done you. Such a fantastic improvement! It must of been a daunting task.

9. Wow - you've made a huge difference! Very impressive!

10. I'm seriously impressed! I would've thought that bays was too far gone for saving, but you've done a remarkable job and it looks terrific

11. Wow, good for you, she looks awesome.

12. You've really brought her back to life!!! So talented and indeed so patient

Bit alarmed as to how anyone can let their bag get in the initial state! Glad you managed to restore

13. Wow. This certainly is a reveal with a difference. Great Job! You're liner probably cost as much as the bag!!

Well done. Impressive work! :smile: