2:55 Reissue vs. flap bag - durability?

astronette

Nov 11, 2010
Hi girls!

I have a question to you all chanel-lovers. From what I've seen, Chanel classic flap bags seem to look pretty nice even after years of wear, but most second hand reissues I've seen are often in quite bad shape, somehow they start looking.. too used, as opposed to flaps, they somehow seem to age better. Am I correct here?

I'm asking this because I own a black reissue, which I bought new, and it's in very good shape since I've worn it carefully. I bought it so I could wear it forever and maybe pass to my daughter, but now I've been thinking if I should sell it and get a vintage (or new) flap instead. Somehow I thought that because it's the original design, it would be the ultimate classic, and it's less flashy than the flap with the madmoiselle lock.. but I don't know anymore.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks in advance! :heart:

I feel like... Once u start to abuse ur reissue, it wont hold up the shape and look used.. Mine, i had for a year and i used it quite often. I uses it for 3 month straight too but i always kept it nicely, in the dust bag with stuff inside to hold the shape. So as long as u don't sit on the bag or press it down too hard.. I feel like it will stay on pretty good condition..

I feel like... Once u start to abuse ur reissue, it wont hold up the shape and look used.. Mine, i had for a year and i used it quite often. I uses it for 3 month straight too but i always kept it nicely, in the dust bag with stuff inside to hold the shape. So as long as u don't sit on the bag or press it down too hard.. I feel like it will stay on pretty good condition..

+1 not only reissue ..once you start abusing any bag it won't hold up it's shape.

I only have one reissue, and I purchased it new. I treat it well ~ I use the dust bag and felt when not in use ~ and it is in like new condition. It is 3 years old. hth

I have one reissue, can't speculate as to how the Classics wear -- yet. Since I prefer caviar and take excellent care of all of my designer bags, I suppose I don't worry too much. As with any other brand, hard wear will eventually show. My bag wears beautifully!

My distressed calf reissues look better for being used heavily; they get a lovely patina look to them. I plan to hand mine down to the next generation when the time comes. I use my bags, I don't baby them and try not to abuse them. You can find photos of them in various threads and the Chanel library. I'm still not on my desktop where my photos are yet.

I have the reissue in distressed calfskin.
I feel comfortable using it, because it absorbs scratches gracefully.
They become part of the bag's character, but not in a detrimental way.
I do moisturize the leather, but store it hanging by chain on coat rack--can't bear to put bag out of sight, too beautiful!

I think the reissue looks as though it ages worse because it already looks aged as the leather is a distressed calf skin. However in terms of shape and structure the bag definitely holds its shape, a friend of mine has had her bag for 5 years with CONSTANT use (she loves that bag!) and she is a bag stuffer, with loads of stuff and actually the bag structure has endured and holds very well!