2-3 yrs later, I find it hard to swallow the current Chanel price tags...

Jun 4, 2006
I bought my first Chanel (a Cambon bag) back in 2004, then really got into Chanel bags in 2005 especially when they did the anniversary reissues ($1995 for the 226 back then)! Since then, I kept buying Chanel bags almost every season. But I started getting really turned off by their price increase, and basically stopped looking at their bags like 2, 3 yrs ago. Then I explored other brands like BV, Balenciaga, Valextra, Goyard etc. Recently I started looking at Chanel bags again trying to see if that old fire will spark again, and wow, the prices of the classic flaps and reissues!!! Even for seasonal bags, I found it hard to swallow the current prices!

Am I the only oldie feeling that way? I still love Chanel, but with that price tag I really think there are better options out there with much better leather quality and craftsmanship....also, looking at what many TPFers got during the recent sale, I see a lot of nice looking seasonal bags (seasonal BUT very classic-looking pieces!). I remember a few years ago you would rarely find nice classy looking seasonal bags going on sale (and deep cut! some ppl even got bags at 2nd cut!). Back then only the very tacky looking ones would go on sale....

I wonder if the constant price increases are really driving old lovers away....and maybe less ppl are willing to spend $3000-$4000 on a seasonal bag and thus we see more of those on sale?

I still would love to buy more Chanel bags, but nowadays it's very hard to find one that fits my need AND with a more "reasonable" price point....thoughts?

I agree that the price increases have been staggering! I started collecting just a few years before you so I fully understand your reluctance to purchase a bag that used to cost about 50% less! For those of us who began our collections at that time, we are truly fortunate that we did not have to shell out so much on the bag of our dreams. I do love chanel, but it is sometimes hard to justify paying more than 5000 on a classic especially when you don't feel inspired by the piece. Because you have classics, I would consider looking at the seasonal bags with classic details as they are often even more interesting. There have been some really gorgeous seasonal bags recently!

same here :crybaby:

i was never into Chanel bags when i was much younger and still can afford to buy them. i just felt they were too matured for me ( no offence, just my silly opinion) now, my tastes have changed over the years, the prices have skyrocketed! i wish i have bought them much earlier but no point crying over split milk, i guess. i will still buy them if i see a bag i like and just accept the current prices.

my DH joked he should have bought 10 chanel flaps when they were only 2k and make a nice profit now :lol:

Last edited:
I agree that the price increases have been staggering! I started collecting just a few years before you so I fully understand your reluctance to purchase a bag that used to cost about 50% less! For those of us who began our collections at that time, we are truly fortunate that we did not have to shell out so much on the bag of our dreams. I do love chanel, but it is sometimes hard to justify paying more than 5000 on a classic especially when you don't feel inspired by the piece. Because you have classics, I would consider looking at the seasonal bags with classic details as they are often even more interesting. There have been some really gorgeous seasonal bags recently!

To be honest, I sold most of the Chanel bags I got over the years, including jumbos and a grey reissue (I know, Chanel lovers would think I am crazzzzzzzy!!). But I do realize I love looking at the classic bags more than actually using them!! I think they don't really suit my life style & fashion style, LOL!! So at the end I concluded that there's no point to just leave them in my closet and I sold them. The only bag I still have and use now is my black Timeless CC flap from 2008, I like that the magnetic closure is easier for access (a must with a preschooler around) and that the bottom of the bag is wider so it fits more than the jumbo but size-wise it doesn't look overwhelming on my petite frame. I also love that it has a classy look BUT it's not like a black classic flap which is too too common nowadays that I see at least one woman carrying it every time I go to my local mall....

Nowadays I am actually more interested in seasonal bags with some classy details. But those are very pricey too! $3000 is considered a low price point! I know there are bags that are less than $3000 but those tend to be smaller bags (and with a preschooler who refused to carry her own backpack I need bigger bags to throw all my stuff AND her stuff into it...). Besides, while some seasonal bags seem nice, whenever I was about to make a purchase, I thought to myself...why I wanna spend $3000+ on it when I used to own a classic piece that was more well-made and cheaper AND I was even able to let those go???

I still buy Chanel because I love the brand and what it represents. I won't settle for a cheaper brand due to pricing. If pricing were an issue to me, I would rather have one Chanel than 10 LVs or Pradas or Celines or Bals as they are not in the same league. These bags are also trend bags and will come and go and not stand the test of time. For a "trend" bag to last only a few seasons due to style is expensive when you do the math vs. a classic Chanel take can last for years on. My first Chanel was ten years ago, and that bag is still around.

The price keeps going higher because Chanel wants to be exclusive. I dont blame them. The classics especially will keep going up. I think the seasonal pricing will remain flat and in line with inflation, but the seaonals are no not near the classics in the finishing and quality of what one views and sees as an iconic Chanel bag.

If you are debating on whether to keep buying Chanel because of price, I say yes.. keep buying. But maybe limit the number of bags you buy if price is an issue.

It's not about the "number" of bags one owns... it's about "what" bags one owns. Chanel or LV/Bal/Prada??? No question for me... Chanel.

Just my opinion.

The price increase is insane! I was huge fan of Chanel's totes and in recent years, I covet the flaps more now. So, my taste has evolved to something way expensive.

I think people are lured to the flaps just because the price continues to creep up. If the flap prices plateau'ed (sp.) at 2008 prices, the demand for flaps wouldn't be as great.

I can't stomach the price now. I look 2nd hand now for those flaps I missed out on from seasons past.

Also, I pass on sales bags now. Used to go crazy during sale season. Now, the thinking is if I didn't care for them at full price, I'm not going to spend $1XXX-$2XXX when they go on sale. $1XXX-$2XXX is still a lot of money! my 2cents.

I still buy Chanel because I love the brand and what it represents. I won't settle for a cheaper brand due to pricing. If pricing were an issue to me, I would rather have one Chanel than 10 LVs or Pradas or Celines or Bals as they are not in the same league. These bags are also trend bags and will come and go and not stand the test of time. For a "trend" bag to last only a few seasons due to style is expensive when you do the math vs. a classic Chanel take can last for years on. My first Chanel was ten years ago, and that bag is still around.

The price keeps going higher because Chanel wants to be exclusive. I dont blame them. The classics especially will keep going up. I think the seasonal pricing will remain flat and in line with inflation, but the seaonals are no not near the classics in the finishing and quality of what one views and sees as an iconic Chanel bag.

If you are debating on whether to keep buying Chanel because of price, I say yes.. keep buying. But maybe limit the number of bags you buy if price is an issue.

It's not about the "number" of bags one owns... it's about "what" bags one owns. Chanel or LV/Bal/Prada??? No question for me... Chanel.

Just my opinion.

I agree is not about the quantities. That is why I was able to sell pretty much all my Chanel that I didn't use and only keep the one I do use and still love.

I also agree I won't buy 10 LVs just coz it's cheaper. But the truth is IMO the quality of Chanel has gone down and I started asking myself if it even worth that price tag....In fact because of their crazy price increase I started looking at brands like BV and Valextra. Those brands are classic AND the leather quality and craftsmanship, to be honest, is so much better. Of course Hermes leather would always be the winner but Hermes style is kind of too mature for me and their price is totally out of my league!

The pearly beige caviar m/l flap was the last retail Chanel bag I bought and I got it because it is a gorgeous color. It's hanging out with my other "closet" bags, waiting for the day I get to her. :nogood:

The price increase is insane! I was huge fan of Chanel's totes and in recent years, I covet the flaps more now. So, my taste has evolved to something way expensive.

I think people are lured to the flaps just because the price continues to creep up. If the flap prices plateau'ed (sp.) at 2008 prices, the demand for flaps wouldn't be as great.

I can't stomach the price now. I look 2nd hand now for those flaps I missed out on from seasons past.

Also, I pass on sales bags now. Used to go crazy during sale season. Now, the thinking is if I didn't care for them at full price, I'm not going to spend $1XXX-$2XXX when they go on sale. $1XXX-$2XXX is still a lot of money! my 2cents.

Totally agree! I also want to start looking at vintage Chanel! I found that the older bags are of much better quality! But I get very nervous when looking at the second-hand market. I guess you need to spend a lot of time researching making sure that the bags are authentic and that the deal is good!

I agree is not about the quantities. That is why I was able to sell pretty much all my Chanel that I didn't use and only keep the one I do use and still love.

I also agree I won't buy 10 LVs just coz it's cheaper. But the truth is IMO the quality of Chanel has gone down and I started asking myself if it even worth that price tag....In fact because of their crazy price increase I started looking at brands like BV and Valextra. Those brands are classic AND the leather quality and craftsmanship, to be honest, is so much better. Of course Hermes leather would always be the winner but Hermes style is kind of too mature for me and their price is totally out of my league!

No... the price is not worth the leather and quality and never was, not even 10 years ago at the 10 year old prices. It was expensive back then, and it is expensive now. Much of what you buy is the brand name, and I am completely honest to myself about that. I buy Chanel for the name, not for the quality. Yes, it is better quality than most bags, but honestly, if you want a luxury leather handmade bag, you can get one in Italy, handmade, custom, soft as butter and beautifully crafted. It will not have any logo though, and for me, I want my Chanel logo. I don't try to kid myself I am paying a lot of money for better quality. I know I buy because it is a Chanel and I am happy about that.

And for me, the part of the lure is the Chanel label. Without, that bag would sell for $500.00... let's face it. Without the LV all over, the monogram would sell for $100.00.

I mean seriously ladies... let's not kid ourselves... do we honestly buy these bags because we really think they are high quality to warrant a 4K price tag? No... we buy it because it is Chanel.

So if you think about getting quality for your money, you will be disappointed. If you think of it as getting an exclusive Chanel bag, you will be happy and glad to spend the money.

That's how I think of it... as in... "I carry Chanels", not "I carry high quality bags"... and I'm a happy clam! No regets ever on the money spent for a Chanel bag... one of the simple pleasures of life to enjoy daily. :smile:

No... the price is not worth the leather and quality and never was, not even 10 years ago at the 10 year old prices. It was expensive back then, and it is expensive now. Much of what you buy is the brand name, and I am completely honest to myself about that. I buy Chanel for the name, not for the quality. Yes, it is better quality than most bags, but honestly, if you want a luxury leather handmade bag, you can get one in Italy, handmade, custom, soft as butter and beautifully crafted. It will not have any logo though, and for me, I want my Chanel logo. I don't try to kid myself I am paying a lot of money for better quality. I know I buy because it is a Chanel and I am happy about that.

And for me, the part of the lure is the Chanel label. Without, that bag would sell for $500.00... let's face it. Without the LV all over, the monogram would sell for $100.00.

I mean seriously ladies... let's not kid ourselves... do we honestly buy these bags because we really think they are high quality to warrant a 4K price tag? No... we buy it because it is Chanel.

So if you think about getting quality for your money, you will be disappointed. If you think of it as getting an exclusive Chanel bag, you will be happy and glad to spend the money.

That's how I think of it... as in... "I carry Chanels", not "I carry high quality bags"... and I'm a happy clam! No regets ever on the money spent for a Chanel bag... one of the simple pleasures of life to enjoy daily. :smile:

I love your honesty!!! LOL~~~

I guess I want both, the name AND the quality~~ :P

Or come to think of it, maybe I have evolved too as I age. I used to be a more logo person when I was younger. But nowadays I actually prefer luxury brands that are kinda under the radar. I kinda like the exclusiveness of only me and a few "insiders" know what I am carrying, and that I don't keep running into other people who carry the same bag that I have.

ITA! I'm a label whore, as much as a job snob! I bought all those Chanel bags for its label and exclusivity not for the quality. I wear mine around knowing that I have something not everyone has. (Hence, I only have 2 LVs and 0 Coachs.) I think that given the price, consumers should expect high quality.

ITA! I'm a label whore, as much as a job snob! I bought all those Chanel bags for its label and exclusivity not for the quality. I wear mine around knowing that I have something not everyone has. (Hence, I only have 2 LVs and 0 Coachs.) I think that given the price, consumers should expect high quality.

Yea, with that price, I really do expect some high quality. I have zero LV and zero Coach. I used to own a lot of LVs and sold them all after I got into Chanel. Seems like a lot of us went thru this order when it comes to becoming a purse freak: Coach => LV => Chanel! LOL!!! I wonder if the next will be Hermes!

Yea, with that price, I really do expect some high quality. I have zero LV and zero Coach. I used to own a lot of LVs and sold them all after I got into Chanel. Seems like a lot of us went thru this order when it comes to becoming a purse freak: Coach => LV => Chanel! LOL!!! I wonder if the next will be Hermes!

HA! Yes, that's the order. I can't afford H yet and it's a bit too "mature" and heavy for my current taste... in the meantime, I'll oggle from the store front and on the H thread!

No... the price is not worth the leather and quality and never was, not even 10 years ago at the 10 year old prices.

:smile:

well said :lol:

designer items are not value for $$, alot of it is in the brand name. i would expect some quality at least but definitely not expecting it to be value for $$, it will never be that way.