1st Purchase: Pictures & Review of Cartier Love 3-Diamond Ring (May 2020)

doctor_paul

May 20, 2020
Since this is my 1st ever Cartier purchase, I thought I would post pictures and share a review since you've all been so helpful to me as well. This is my personal review with no bias, others experiences (and my own future ones) may differ.

Purchase: 18K Yellow Gold 3-Diamond Ring. Size 9.5 (61). Purchased on Cartier's website (aka e-boutique) on May 20, 2020. Approx cost was $3800 US after tax.

Shipping: Standard shipping took 5 days, currently no expedited or pick-up options in my region. Arrived in a very securely sealed white shipping box with signature required.

Unboxing: Gift card included, but no gift wrap. Cartier bag laid over all the contents. Paperwork included gift receipt, return labels, and certificate. Certificate had serial number hand-written, date stamped, and e-boutique stamp. Outer red box had broken flap on 1 of 4 sides. Inner ring box arrived opened with ring flapping around inside. No apparent damage to ring despite ability for ring to fall out and hit against the metal button/hinge that opens the front of ring box.

Actual Product: Fit nicely, thanks to the recommendations on this forum. This particular ring is to be used as a Men's ring. My original size is 9 on my right ring finger, but I sized up to 9.5 (61) as recommended by forum members. It feels like my other size 9 rings (despite this being a 9.5), so half size up is necessary. Very shiny, elegant, the diamonds sparkle. I have heard generally the wedding band weighs 3 grams, the full-sized ring weighs 6 grams, and the 3-diamond ring weights 9 grams. Mine weighs 10 grams, but weight may vary based on your ring size.

Customer Service: I requested a travel pouch and cleaning kit via e-mail after providing my order number, since this is my first Cartier purchase (at nearly $4000). I would have appreciated these accessories, especially in a time when jewelry cleaning/removal multiple times outdoors is essential. No response from customer service despite 2 e-mails in 7 days. Not even an automated reply, nothing. Attemped to contact chat on e-boutique, never available despite 3 attempts. I understand proper service may be limited for companies in current conditions, but in comparsion to other businesses right now, Cartier's service has been very underwhelming considering the premium luxury pricing.

Overall: 3.5 out of 5 stars for my 1st experience. 5 stars for the product's quality and craftsmanship, although sizing can be an issue if you rely on their website and don't do your homework. 3 stars for the packaging, since there was no gift wrap, the outer red box was open, and the ring box was open. The shipping box is excellent secured, so I assume they could find a way to secure the inner contents better too (it would help presentation also). Delivery time was acceptable, but standard with no expedited options at all. I have seen unboxing videos where others with bracelets had their screwdriver rattling loose against their bracelets as well. 1 star for the e-boutique service, since they don't reply to e-mails, don't have anyone available for chat anytime (and encourage e-mail!), but I'll give a star just because they automated e-mailed me when confirming the order and shipping the order. These ratings may average into 3 stars, but I added half a star because most important is the ring arrived to me undamaged.

I'll be happy to answer any questions, and let me know what you think. Pictures attached!

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_5472.JPG
    IMG_5472.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_9440.JPG
    IMG_9440.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Congrats on your new Love ring and enjoy! I am sad to hear of your underwhelming experience, and I certainly understand.

I, too, had ordered another Love item online recently last month and was shocked by the lack of care in their packaging from my previous experiences in the past (I have ordered two other items previously online that I can recall).

Here's my experience:
1. Shipping time - I find their shipping slow for such a high luxury brand (even without Covid-19). I order clothes from overseas and usually my packages arrive within 3 days and these are items coming from Italy, Germany, etc. I think 3 days is acceptable now but any longer is a bit annoying in my opinion. I understand they have to quality control everything and perhaps I've been spoiled by DHL service. However, one of my certificates actually has the serial number written outside of the box very visibly as if the person was looking at the item and writing the numbers down without any care to it being within the box - very careless! I would love to snap a pic for everyone but I don't want to show the serial numbers but it's quite laughable! Having said that, the packaging is very secure on the outside with signature confirmation.

Due to Covid-19 (Beware!): My last experience, my FedEx guy actually left the package at my front door! I know him and perhaps he knows I was on my way out to get it, but still! That was a $11k purchase! He normally doesn't do that so it's because of the virus. I did not sign or anything - I'd like to think he saw me get the package before he sped off! LOL

2. Inside: No gift wrap during this time, but my red outer Cartier box was also with one flap, the front one, seemingly 'broken'. I couldn't be sure if that is a new design or not as my last boxes were not like that. Let's hope it's a new design to better access the inner box! I didn't pay much attention, but I did feel certain things were off in regards to care. I don't recall the bracelet secured down with the black rubber band type thing and either the small red Cartier tag thing was either not on the bracelet or just placed in there carelessly. However, my screwdriver was secure in a plastic package tucked inside my pouch against the top of the bracelet.

3. Email for Cleaning kit and travel pouch: I, too, have had no response. This is absolutely disappointing, but I can ensure you before Covid-19, I got an immediate response, and they sent everything as promised in addition to sending me an extra ring pouch for another previous purchase in-store even though I purchased a bracelet. It was sent in just as beautiful packaging as any other item. I was very impressed. I think we can both rest-assured that at some point in time, we will get the accessories we requested.

I'm glad you are happy with your ring, and I think the diamonds make it extra special. My takeaway note is if buyers want a full experience then they should hold off for in-store because that really is the grand experience. On the other hand, if you have no choice but to order online, (this includes me because I don't have a store in my city, and I wanted it NOW!! to suit a special occasion) NOW is not the best time to order online because the overall online experience is definitely subpar due to Covid-19, which is somewhat understandable.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new Love ring and enjoy! I am sad to hear of your underwhelming experience, and I certainly understand.

Thank you for your reply. Do rings normally come with red tags too? Mine did not have any tags in the box or on the ring itself. I did not expect a full-fledged store experience, but I also don't expect a ring rattling around inside among the lack of responses.

Assuming this security tag is the one depicted inside the box on the right, I don’t recall my ring purchased in-house had it either, and apparently, my latest purchase did not have it as well as can be seen in the left box.

After careful inspection, I do think that is the new design of the outer box, making it easier to pull the actual box out - take a closer look and you can see it’s not torn. I made a comparison and the box for my other thin bracelet (purchased 2019) is not only different but slightly bigger as I could not interchange the top cover on the two boxes.

At any rate, you seem really happy with your purchase as am I, and we all need a great distraction at this time! I’m so happy for you because the ring looks gorgeous on you! I think the great thing is when you get the Love with diamonds, you don’t second guess yourself with the plain Love. I also recently got the bracelet with diamonds, and I don’t think twice if I made the wrong decision!

I see a Love bracelet in your near future! Several men on this forum have them and LOVE them!

Attachments

• C3A2D217-B3D7-4311-948D-C94256264EE9.jpeg
    C3A2D217-B3D7-4311-948D-C94256264EE9.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Reactions: avcbob
Assuming this security tag is the one depicted inside the box on the right, I don’t recall my ring purchased in-house had it either.

Thank you for sharing your experience and the kind words. It's also reassuring that the e-boutique is generally quite responsive, so I do hope they eventually get back to me. It is quite a turn-off when you don't get responses after spending thousands of dollars as a new customer. Delays are understandable, but no replies at all are not. I am even thinking when things get better to get the ring engraved in-store, since I wanted to make sure sizing was alright first.

I'm not sure the open flap concept is a good idea, as my ring box was sliding out of it when I lifted it up, and would have even fallen out of it, if wasn't for the fact the inner ring box was already open and pressed up against the top of the outer box.

It's interesting that you mentioned it's good I got the diamonds and did not second guess myself. I was on the fence about it, but a YouTube video had someone share the same insight to go for the one you want and not settle for less, then resell it, then eventually purchase the one you always wanted as it will inevitably lead to a loss and feeling like you settled after spending so much money. Although I love the wrap around diamonds, what really put me on the fence between the $1650 and $3500 versions is the thickness of gold. Both rings have the same width, but I researched that the diamond-version is about 33% thicker and 3 grams of gold heftier. This is why I weighed it, I was happy to see mine was a massive 10 grams and I do feel the weight on my finger. If there was an in between version with the heftier weight and no diamonds, I might have gone for that.. but a little sparkle on both sides of your hand doesn't hurt. :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaton
Oh, YES! I couldn't agree with you more on all 3 points.

1. In this day and age, it is (almost) unacceptable to not shoot a quick email. I'm still holding out that in due time they will get back to us, and that they are behind on everything due to the virus. When they do, all is forgiven, and we will get over ourselves LOL!! Definitely go for the engraving and insist on it being complimentary. I, too, am holding out for engraving.

2. You are correct. That flap thing is strange! (LOL) 1. Because we both assumed it was a defect! 2. It does make it easy for the box to slide out and cause damage to the inside item.

3. Definitely go with what your heart wants initially if you are able to price-wise or wait. Admittedly, when my husband and I got the thin love in 2019 to save $2k instead of getting the classic, I regretted it afterwards. 1. It really needs a companion (as users have stated) 2. Most of us will always want the classic eventually, which in turn makes you spend more purchasing another. I have also read that a great majority of those that purchased the one without diamonds regret it and eventually wished they purchased the diamond version and sometimes would sell the item at a loss in order to get what their heart really wanted. So for those who are even debating between the two, hold out for the diamond version. You won’t regret it or second guess yourself - avoid that conflict.

On the positive side, it made me realize how much I did love the bracelet and that spending that much more was worth the joy it brings. Also, it was like a 'tester' which helped me get used to wearing a bracelet and so far I don't have any visible scratches on my classic. Also, I am very pleased with the two bracelet combo that I have now so it worked out for the best.

The people on this forum provide a wealth of information and good, wise advice based on their experience. I did read that the diamond versions are thicker in gold in order to hold the diamond, but I did not know it was 33% thicker - that is good, valuable information to know, and a little sparkle NEVER, EVER hurt anyone!

Last edited:
On the positive side, it made me realize how much I did love the bracelet and that spending that much more was worth the joy it brings. Also, it was like a 'tester' which helped me get used to wearing a bracelet and so far I don't have any visible scratches on my classic. Also, I am very pleased with the two bracelet combo that I have now so it worked out for the best.

In regards to the bracelets, I think the solid gold (wider) bracelet looks excellent even without diamonds. I think the Love ring looks a little plain without it, but the bracelet definitely does not need diamonds especially if you have a ring with diamonds on it already. The wider one shows the logo much better so maybe the diamonds would be more needed on the thinner bracelets.

Your ring is lovely, enjoy it! I am sorry you had a lackluster first purchase. I was going to make an online purchase as well because others had said their package was sent next day. I tried to chat online, chat on Facebook messenger, and sent an email to Cartier two weeks ago and received no replies. I ended up messaging my SA from Cartier who texted me back and was able to get an apt. at my boutique when it opened up. It was my 3rd purchase and the first one that I asked to have them gift wrap. That wax seal against the white wrapping is beautiful, now I see why it's a big deal for gift wrapping!! I likely won't be getting any more Cartier pieces (classic love bracelet, thin love bracelet with 6 diamonds, wedding band) but if I did I would ask for it to be gift wrapped. ...although the pic of your ring makes me think I need one just like it. :smile: Congratz on your purchase!

Well, just wanted to follow-up and let you know that I FINALLY received an email response back from Cartier. It took them over a month to respond (as I emailed the request on 5/8/20 & they responded 6/12/20), but they responded!

Below is the main body of their response & if I recall correctly, I think when my husband ordered my bracelet online, the SA did state they either were out of stock for the kit & pouch or not sending them out at this time but would at a later date - (it was probably the latter).

“Thank you for the interest that you have expressed in Cartier.

In response to your inquiry, we certainly understand your request for a cleaning kit and travel pouch for your Cartier creation.

Due to the temporary closure of our Cartier Networks, during this unique situation we are experiencing, the shipment of all cleaning kits and travel pouches are not being processed at this time.

We sincerely thank all of our clients for their patience and understanding. We assure you, due to these unique circumstances, Cartier will be delighted to provide you with these kits as soon as we are able to return to normal business operations.

We trust that this information meets your needs and remain at your disposal for any further assistance.”

I’m glad they did respond as I knew they would - they are no Amazon, that’s for sure, but that’s ok! I will just hold on to the email to show them at a later date or continue to wait until things settle back.

Last edited:

I, too, had ordered another Love item online recently last month and was shocked by the lack of care in their packaging from my previous experiences in the past (I have ordered two other items previously online that I can recall).

Here's my experience:
1. Shipping time - I find their shipping slow for such a high luxury brand (even without Covid-19). I order clothes from overseas and usually my packages arrive within 3 days and these are items coming from Italy, Germany, etc. I think 3 days is acceptable now but any longer is a bit annoying in my opinion. I understand they have to quality control everything and perhaps I've been spoiled by DHL service. However, one of my certificates actually has the serial number written outside of the box very visibly as if the person was looking at the item and writing the numbers down without any care to it being within the box - very careless! I would love to snap a pic for everyone but I don't want to show the serial numbers but it's quite laughable! Having said that, the packaging is very secure on the outside with signature confirmation.

Due to Covid-19 (Beware!): My last experience, my FedEx guy actually left the package at my front door! I know him and perhaps he knows I was on my way out to get it, but still! That was a $11k purchase! He normally doesn't do that so it's because of the virus. I did not sign or anything - I'd like to think he saw me get the package before he sped off! LOL

2. Inside: No gift wrap during this time, but my red outer Cartier box was also with one flap, the front one, seemingly 'broken'. I couldn't be sure if that is a new design or not as my last boxes were not like that. Let's hope it's a new design to better access the inner box! I didn't pay much attention, but I did feel certain things were off in regards to care. I don't recall the bracelet secured down with the black rubber band type thing and either the small red Cartier tag thing was either not on the bracelet or just placed in there carelessly. However, my screwdriver was secure in a plastic package tucked inside my pouch against the top of the bracelet.

3. Email for Cleaning kit and travel pouch: I, too, have had no response. This is absolutely disappointing, but I can ensure you before Covid-19, I got an immediate response, and they sent everything as promised in addition to sending me an extra ring pouch for another previous purchase in-store even though I purchased a bracelet. It was sent in just as beautiful packaging as any other item. I was very impressed. I think we can both rest-assured that at some point in time, we will get the accessories we requested.

I'm glad you are happy with your ring, and I think the diamonds make it extra special. My takeaway note is if buyers want a full experience then they should hold off for in-store because that really is the grand experience. On the other hand, if you have no choice but to order online, (this includes me because I don't have a store in my city, and I wanted it NOW!! to suit a special occasion) NOW is not the best time to order online because the overall online experience is definitely subpar due to Covid-19, which is somewhat understandable.
As for the FedEx experience, I've been having the same issues here. I've ordered several items over the last couple of months that were specifically sent 'DIRECT SIGNATURE REQUIRED'. Waited all day for the deliverly, only to walk outside to get the USPS mail and found the FedEx stuff at the door! Luckily there was no issue, but if there had been what would have been done?? I'm thinnking (hoping) that the delivery companies are taking a relaxed attitude about it and weighing the extra couple of minutes per stop vs getting the deliveries all done. Maybe they feel that the cost of absorbing a few losses is worth less time per stop.

Reactions: Chaton
Well, just wanted to follow-up and let you know that I FINALLY received an email response back from Cartier. It took them over a month to respond (as I emailed the request on 5/8/20 & they responded 6/12/20), but they responded!

Below is the main body of their response & if I recall correctly, I think when my husband ordered my bracelet online, the SA did state they either were out of stock for the kit & pouch or not sending them out at this time but would at a later date - (it was probably the latter).

“Thank you for the interest that you have expressed in Cartier.

In response to your inquiry, we certainly understand your request for a cleaning kit and travel pouch for your Cartier creation.

Due to the temporary closure of our Cartier Networks, during this unique situation we are experiencing, the shipment of all cleaning kits and travel pouches are not being processed at this time.

We sincerely thank all of our clients for their patience and understanding. We assure you, due to these unique circumstances, Cartier will be delighted to provide you with these kits as soon as we are able to return to normal business operations.

We trust that this information meets your needs and remain at your disposal for any further assistance.”

I’m glad they did respond as I knew they would - they are no Amazon, that’s for sure, but that’s ok! I will just hold on to the email to show them at a later date or continue to wait until things settle back.
During normal times, my experience is the travel pouches are supplied rather freely in store. I've never ordered on line so I can't comment on that. As for the cleaning kits, those were also given out, sometimes just as a 'thanks for visiting' gift. In reality, we use Windex and a soft toothbrush, which works as good or better than the official stuff.

As for the FedEx experience, I've been having the same issues here. I've ordered several items over the last couple of months that were specifically sent 'DIRECT SIGNATURE REQUIRED'. Waited all day for the deliverly, only to walk outside to get the USPS mail and found the FedEx stuff at the door! Luckily there was no issue, but if there had been what would have been done?? I'm thinnking (hoping) that the delivery companies are taking a relaxed attitude about it and weighing the extra couple of minutes per stop vs getting the deliveries all done. Maybe they feel that the cost of absorbing a few losses is worth less time per stop.

Oh yes, you can’t rely on “Signature Required” anymore I noted with my last purchase. Apparently, it’s the ‘new normal’, and after my previous experience, I must be getting used to the ‘new normal’ because I don’t expect it anymore!

Due to Covid-19, most of the delivery services no longer ring doorbells or knock on the door anymore so I just track everything and mark the box of “when delivered” so I get a text or email - they are still pretty good about that!

As for the cleaning kits, I mainly just like the cleaning cloth and travel pouch. I think in-house they generally include it or it’s easy to ask for it while you are there, but generally for online orders they never include it - I’ve always had to follow-up with a request sadly.

Last edited:
Reactions: avcbob