1st ever designer bag help me decide

Tiffanygirl

Oct 2, 2007
hi well i am currently saving up for my first bag i was all set up for a louis vuitton speedy and then i found the prada fairy wristlet it is much smaller and about the same price as the speedy i think. The problem is i dont want to buy the vuitton and never be able to find the fairy wristlet again and i love it but will i be able to use it a lot as its quite small and i know it is limited stock and suggestions on the subject will be greatly appreciated.:tup:

This will be my present to myself for getting in to London College of fashion to do an accessory course :yahoo:im so happy i think i deserve a nice bag for all my hard work lol

Well I guess it depends on how much you normally carry. They're both so different is size that it would greatly depend on items you carry day to day.

On another note, you can always get the speedy as it's part of LV's permanent line. I'm not sure if fairy line is seasonal as it's not my style. If it was though, I'd say go for the wristlet. I've kicked myself one too many times for not getting a bag in season and then not being able to find one. GL and welcome!

The one thing that I've learned about Prada (and admittedly it's not much since I've only just started learning about it) is that if you see something you like, you should get it because many of Prada's lines seem to seasonal. Once it's gone, it's gone. Comparatively speaking, LV has a lot more in terms of permanent styles that you will almost always be able to get. That, of course, is jmho and what I seem to have seen in the past few months or so that I started obsessing wildly over higher end bags.

Alouette brings up a good point about how much you will carry. So I would weigh these options -

1) how much do I want to fit in my purse,
2) how much will I want to baby the purse (think the fairy line will need much more babying unless they've fixed the ink running issue)
3) how much will I regret it daily if I miss out on getting one (i.e. the more limited edition fairy)
4) how often will I use it?

Lastly, good luck with your decision and congrats on starting school soon! I totally know where you're at cos I'm starting grad school in September and just bought a Prada on eBay to "reward" myself (assuming that the eBay sale actually pulls through). You and me both - we *totally* deserve a splurge!! ;)

I think you got some great advice from the above posters. I have an alternative opinion though. If funds are a consideration and you are going for a first designer bag, I would think about the Speedy -- only if you can't get another bag for some time. It's more versatile, a bit larger than the wristlet and is going to be a staple, classic piece to wear with anything in your wardrobe forever. (And I'm a real Prada lover!) If the wait for another bag won't be too long then you could always get the Speedy second after the Fairy wristlet.

I have a fairy wristlet. I love it to death and will never probably sell it. However, I bought it intending to use it only periodically, not as an everyday 'bag', so to speak. I've only used the wristlet about three times and I found it to be very handy, especially on mall trips.

My advice is if you are in the market for an everyday bag, and funds are not exactly overflowing, don't count on the wristlet to serve all your needs. However, if you don't want to miss out on the fairy line, have you considered a cosmetic case? They have a couple of them for under $300. The flat case can even double as a clutch. I've attached a pic in case you didn't see the other thread on it.

Good luck!

Attachments

• kylie%20004[1].jpg
    kylie%20004[1].jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for all your replies I am still batteling with myself on which one 2 buy I was initially looking for a everyday bag but I don't want 2 look back in a year time and wish I had brought the wristlet the wristlet is easier 2 hide frm my mum who does not suport my obsession lol I hope that my nxt bag won't b far along after this one but I may have 2 wait as long as next year!! does any1 know how long the fairy collection will b around?

Thanks for all your replies I am still batteling with myself on which one 2 buy I was initially looking for a everyday bag but I don't want 2 look back in a year time and wish I had brought the wristlet the wristlet is easier 2 hide frm my mum who does not suport my obsession lol I hope that my nxt bag won't b far along after this one but I may have 2 wait as long as next year!! does any1 know how long the fairy collection will b around?
Tiffanygirl, I got breathless reading your post. ;) That's one long sentence!

The fairy bags are limited. I'm not sure about the accessories such as wristlets and cosmetic cases but my guess is that they will sell out very quickly. In my experience with Prada, you need to buy what you like because Prada is really bad with restocking. If items sell out, it's a real pain trying to track them down across stores and in my case, countries!!

However, I will strongly advise that you do not get a wristlet if you are looking for a daily bag. It's not practical although fabulous for a night out or quick jaunt.

Since you don't want to buy a speedy, why not wait and get something that you really really like? The summer sales are just round the corner and you will have more choices that suit your budget.

If money is not an objection, I say go for the wristlet. But if you want a daily purse, it's a good idea to wait a little more and get more bang for your buck. There are so many cute purses around!

The fairy line will probably never go on sale but you can always save up and get a small item in addition to your daily bag if you wait a little for the sales.

Good Luck!