1st Chanel Question

tanyafranko

tanya55
Sep 27, 2008
Hello Everyone!!

I would like to purchase my 1st Chanel, but I need your opinion. I see there are lots of great vintage, used, and new items on ebay, but do you think it's worth it to just spend the extra $$ to get it from the Chanel store? It seems so hard to trust people on ebay. What do you guys think?

BTW, I was thinking about the Black Maxi Classic Flap Bag in Caviar Leather and gold hardware. Its $2895, but seems like a real classic that you will have forever.

If it is your first bag I would personally get one that hasn't been used since you will appreciate it more take care of it and it's nice knowing you're the only one who has owned it.

You could get one online from a reputable seller but often I find that the savings aren't that exciting for one in great shape especially since you are in Canada (as am I) and most auctions I see are other countries and duty fees are steep and you think it's a good deal until it gets to your house and you get a bill!!! ..might as well save the time/hassle.

Black Maxi would be a great choice I want one too... definitely getting a maxi or jumbo when I graduate in December.

If you do decide to buy one online you can post detailed pics/the link in the "authenticate this" forum and have an expert give you their opinion before buying. But always be aware of seller feedbacks and deals that are too good to be true.

Last edited:
If it is your first bag I would personally get one that hasn't been used since you will appreciate it more take care of it and it's nice knowing you're the only one who has owned it.

You could get one online from a reputable seller but often I find that the savings aren't that exciting for one in great shape especially since you are in Canada (as am I) and most auctions I see are other countries and duty fees are steep and you think it's a good deal until it gets to your house and you get a bill!!! ..might as well save the time/hassle.

Black Maxi would be a great choice I want one too... definitely getting a maxi or jumbo when I graduate in December.

If you do decide to buy one online you can post detailed pics/the link in the "authenticate this" forum and have an expert give you their opinion before buying. But always be aware of seller feedbacks and deals that are too good to be true.

^^^^ITA all good advice!

I know it's a great deal of money but I think it will be worth it to wait and save to get your 1st Chanel at a boutique. The SA's are very thoughtful about wrapping up your handbag and placing it in a bag with ribbons (at least that's my experience). I just wished I took pictures of my 1st purchase.

Well said wahoffa! Spoken like a true veteran...you have obviously done your research! :smartass: Looking forward to your graduation and 1st Chanel pics!

Last edited:
^^^ I agree as well! I went into the boutique and fell in love with my bag at first sight. I didn't buy it on the spot but obsessed about it for a week before I actually bought it. I knew it was the right choice by then.

Walking out of the Chanel store with your first Chanel bag makes you feel like a million bucks!!

Definitely get it from the boutique rather than at a dept store too...!

I am in the same boat. Actually - I do own one chanel - a gorgeous timeless clutch in lamb that I bot a few years ago. But I've been wanting a 2.55 forever and have been watching them on ebay very closely - and what I've finally come to terms with is that the savings for a bag in almost new condition with box/dustbag etc. is very minimal. I'd rather just buy from the store. And after reading everyone's posts today - I've finally made the decision to do it. I'm goign today! I'm so excited! I'm going for a medium 2.55 in black caviar.

Thanks so much for all your help:smile:
It would be nice to buy a Chanel for $1000-$1500 off ebay, but then I think, what if I get it and it turns out to be fake. I think I would really be kicking myself then. And extremely dissaponited. :pout:

BTW, what does your husband/boyfriend's think about your Chanel purchases? I have a few LV's and Marc Jacobs, but these are about a 1/3 of a price of a Chanel. I try and explain that it's a classic. (getting a Chanel)

I think boys just don't get it. LOL

AHAHA ya my boyfriend used to be like "you're crazy for spending so much on a bag"...but I talk about my bags so much that he thinks it's normal now...he's the best!

He knows i'm itching to buy a new bag when we go to Paris in September...I hope I find the right one!!!

while i agree that there's nothing better than buying a first chanel in person to gt the full experience, i'm not against buying a bag of of ebay to save a few hundred $$'s that could be used towards another bag or wallet :P then again, i was also lucky enough to buy my first chanel in paris :nuts: as long as you are safe about buying off of ebay (paypal is a wonderful thing too), i don't see anything wrong with it - but i don't know about customs fees for u

as for dh, he is prob the one person in my life who mostly understands my obsession with bags :smooch: as i've pointed out to him, bags can always be worn whether u gain or lose weight, and are used all the time. he also knows that i could have had a shoe obsession instead, and they are worn on your feet and have to walk on some nasty surfaces :lol: and since pregnancy, my shoes don't fit anymore either! i recently realized he truly understands when he told me to hold off on buying a bag now and instead putting that $$ into a birkin fund :faint:!! however, i have recently decided that while i would like to have one just to have one, it's just not for me and i'd prob freak out over carrying it :upsidedown: