1st Birkin and 2nd Kelly... Which size and colour?

anpa24

May 4, 2016
Hi all, new member here!

I wonder if you could help me. I am relatively new to the H brand. I have been purchasing scarves and SLGs for about 2 years and a few months ago was offered my HG bag: a 32K retourne in bleu nuit with gold hardware. I want 2 more bags to build my H collection - a 28K sellier in black and a Birkin.

I have quite a casual lifestyle so I want my black Kelly to fit in with that, however, also be a bit more formal than my retourne. I'm thinking PHW would a) be different from my other K and b) be less formal than a K with GHW. Also, from looking at past threads, the 28K would be the right size for me. The issue is that I'm not sure I'll like the epsom leather and although I love box and that would be my preferred leather, I don't know whether it will make the bag look too formal. What do you think?

My next question is to do with Birkins. I would love a casual Birkin but am confused about the size and colour. I know that black is classic but since I'm hoping to get a black K one day I feel I won't need a black B. I wear a lot of black, white, blue and grey. I want a neutral so that I will be able to wear it with everything, I was thinking grey? Size-wise I'm torn between the 35 and 30. The 35 is classic and because of its slightly less structured shape, looks more casual to me. However, I'm only 5ft 2 (weigh around 130 pounds). Do you think the 35 would overwhelm me? What colour and size would you suggest?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

If it was me, i would go for nice pop of color for a B 30 (red or BE ).. 35 has its uses but gets heavy..( unless epsom?).. Otherwise all 3 bags would be dark/neutral. Maybe shoot for an SO for the noir K28 sellier so you can have leather choice ( togo, chevre) other than epsom.. Nice problem to have

K28 sellier in black w phw is lovely. I think you have to see in person if you like Epsom or not. It is lightweight and structured. I don't think Epsom leather as formal, I think the sellier structure is formal.

For the birkin, I think B30 is a good size for you but once again you have to try it and see if you like it. I was going to suggest bleu nuit but you already have a Kelly in that color. Etain is a beautiful grey that I hope to have one day. I know a lot of people like the color etoupe. I prefer etain over etoupe. Best of luck to you!

I suggest looking at Gris asphalt and maybe beton as well. Consider as well Barenia , Vache Natural and Box. Barenia comes in neutral shades as well, and it’s good to have other options. I have several 35s and got rid of my 30s. Reason being, the 30s didn’t hold everything I needed at the time. The 35, while heavy, holds what I need.

The Bleu Nuit Kelly GHW is a perfect start and a sellier K28 is a perfect complement. I would go for box or if you can SO it, for chévre (although you'll have to wait a bit) as I remember you saying you don't want another Togo. Black box sellier with PHW comes up reasonably often at resale although more expensive than GHW. I don't think it will be too formal. Together these are two perfect Kellys.

For a Birkin, I would say Gold or one of the greys - Etain or Etoupe. I'm very petite and I love the 35 size. I have had Gold, loved it (switched out for Fauve Barenia) - very versatile bag IMO.

Now, you could always switch it up and get a gold or Rouge H K28 and then a black B35 which is about the most useful Birkin on the planet ;)

I'm with QuelleFromage when it comes to a sellier K28 Box, with PHW.. To me, it's the ultimate H leather and a perfect size. Unless you can get a Push order, the only other way to find it is through resale.

Reactions: QuelleFromage
I'm with QuelleFromage when it comes to a sellier K28 Box, with PHW.. To me, it's the ultimate H leather and a perfect size. Unless you can get a Push order, the only other way to find it is through resale.
Yes, this is the quintessential Kelly. I personally am looking for the exact same in retourné - BBK 28 PHW - but agree that OP should have sellier as a complement to the 32 retourné.

Hi all, new member here!

I wonder if you could help me. I am relatively new to the H brand. I have been purchasing scarves and SLGs for about 2 years and a few months ago was offered my HG bag: a 32K retourne in bleu nuit with gold hardware. I want 2 more bags to build my H collection - a 28K sellier in black and a Birkin.

I have quite a casual lifestyle so I want my black Kelly to fit in with that, however, also be a bit more formal than my retourne. I'm thinking PHW would a) be different from my other K and b) be less formal than a K with GHW. Also, from looking at past threads, the 28K would be the right size for me. The issue is that I'm not sure I'll like the epsom leather and although I love box and that would be my preferred leather, I don't know whether it will make the bag look too formal. What do you think?

My next question is to do with Birkins. I would love a casual Birkin but am confused about the size and colour. I know that black is classic but since I'm hoping to get a black K one day I feel I won't need a black B. I wear a lot of black, white, blue and grey. I want a neutral so that I will be able to wear it with everything, I was thinking grey? Size-wise I'm torn between the 35 and 30. The 35 is classic and because of its slightly less structured shape, looks more casual to me. However, I'm only 5ft 2 (weigh around 130 pounds). Do you think the 35 would overwhelm me? What colour and size would you suggest?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
I'm the same height as you and love my B35. Mine is black Togo and quite slouchy. I think in a stiffer leather and or brighter colour it may be too much on my frame though. A black B35 and maybe a rouge H K28 in box would make a lovely collection and rouge H would definitely go with your wardrobe. I've never seen one with PHW although I don't think GHW even on a box Kelly necessarily has to look too formal. I have one of each and I'm pretty much never out of jeans!

Reactions: CapriTrotteur
If I were you, I would get a K28 in a muted red or grey. And then get a B30 in black.

I feel like bleu nuit and black are too similar, so maybe get the black in a B30 instead? I am 5'2 as well and I carry my B30 more often than my B35 cuz B30 can be dressy and casual as well.

I am like you, I wear mostly neutrals so I like a bit of a pop of colour that is not too 'flashy' like my Rouge Grenat Kelly - it's muted so it can be a good coloured neutral. And of course, you can never go wrong with a grey like Etoupe/Etain - it matches with everything in your wardrobe!