1st Birkin advice.....what would you do?

dotmike24

Jan 5, 2016
Hello everyone. I'm somewhat of an Hermes newbie and need help with what to do with my first ever birkin. I had initially wanted a birkin 35 in black, gray family or even the right shade of red. I wear a lot of so called neutral colored (black, gray, cream, white) clothes. I was offered a red birkin 40 at first but had turned it down because I knew that was too big for my needs. Btw, I'm 5'1 and 130lbs. A couple weeks later, I was offered an orange birkin 35 Togo with gold hardware. It is a beautiful bag and so I purchased it thinking that orange is a nice, classic Hermes color which could viewed as a neutral or a pop of color even though it wasn't on my original wish list. I was also so excited at being offered another bag so soon after I turned the red bag down and was afraid that if I turned it down, I wouldn't be offered another one. Don't get me wrong, I do love the bag, it is gorgeous and the gold with the orange makes it stand out even more to me. Unfortunately, every time I even think of using it, I feel really conscious of the fact that it is orange! Lol! When I look in the mirror, it looks great but when I look down at me holding it, I feel like it does not suit me at all.
I've held on to it for more than a year and not used it for that same reason every time I try.

I'm afraid that if I let it go, I may not get the chance to purchase another one but I really want one that I would love and be able to comfortably use everyday and not feel conscious about. Also, I've also come to realize that the size 35 may be big on me and that a size 30 might suit me more.

What would you do? Get rid of it and take a chance of getting another one in a color and size that I know I love or stick with orange and learn to love it so I can finally use my first birkin??? Also, does anyone have an orange birkin that you find yourself using all the time? What do you wear it with? Advice please.

Sorry for the long post and TIA for your help :smile:

Get rid of it and wait for your dream bag. It's too expensive an accessory to just sit in your closet. When I first started purchasing Hermes, I started with neutrals. It's not until I satisfied my neutral fetish that I branched out to some color for the first time this year.

If it's a bag you love, you'll always want to reach for it.

Get rid of it and wait for your dream bag. It's too expensive an accessory to just sit in your closet. When I first started purchasing Hermes, I started with neutrals. It's not until I satisfied my neutral fetish that I branched out to some color for the first time this year.

If it's a bag you love, you'll always want to reach for it.

Thank you! A part of me has been telling me that if it's going to be my only birkin, then it should be the perfect one.

Reactions: QuelleFromage
yes, i have a tangerine ostrich birkin with ghw. yes, it is loud. yes, at the beginning a "sort of" uncomfortable.
i use it, use it, use it, and it finally became mine. the trick was in my experience, i ignored the loudness. actually it was shouting only at me and i don't think others took it that way. i was too self conscious of orange

Reactions: HGT and papertiger
Most of us think that it is very difficult to only stop at one birkin , but you can be somewhat satisfied for awhile if it is the right birkin. Also we all have made "mistakes" not realizing it was a mistake at the time. My first was a 35 birkin in a perfect red. Bigger bags where very popular then, but almost 9 years later I still love her. I have never been a fan of an orange bag. I can not incorporate an orange bag into my wardrobe, and I wouldn't want to be forced to just because it is an expensive purchase. I love the Birkin and for you and currently, I would completely agree to let the bag go without regrets and continue your search for a 30 in a neutral color. Black, etain, gold, etoupe, maybe blue sapphire, or even the beautiful reds. Good luck.

Reactions: pureplatinum
listen to yourself! I do not care how hard it is to get one. if it does not make you excited and happy , it is not the right bag for you, regardless of the color... after all you are speding 10K of your money- it must make you happy not stressed out

Last edited:
Reactions: pureplatinum
You will get another B that you love. My first was a B40 chocolate almost 7 years ago. I adored it but found it too big....and let it go until the perfect B came my way.

Sent from my LG-H820 using PurseForum mobile app

You were offered two Birkins in 2 months, you will definitely be offered more. Fashion is personal and only you know your style. It seems you are having difficulty letting go, but you don't want that B. Perhaps you should take the bag out soon and see how you feel. I think it will cement you selling it without any regret.

Reactions: papertiger
yes, i have a tangerine ostrich birkin with ghw. yes, it is loud. yes, at the beginning a "sort of" uncomfortable.
i use it, use it, use it, and it finally became mine. the trick was in my experience, i ignored the loudness. actually it was shouting only at me and i don't think others took it that way. i was too self conscious of orange

Yes exactly! I feel too self conscious of orange despite it being a beautiful color. Thank you for sharing your experience and how you made it work for you.

Most of us think that it is very difficult to only stop at one birkin , but you can be somewhat satisfied for awhile if it is the right birkin. Also we all have made "mistakes" not realizing it was a mistake at the time. My first was a 35 birkin in a perfect red. Bigger bags where very popular then, but almost 9 years later I still love her. I have never been a fan of an orange bag. I can not incorporate an orange bag into my wardrobe, and I wouldn't want to be forced to just because it is an expensive purchase. I love the Birkin and for you and currently, I would completely agree to let the bag go without regrets and continue your search for a 30 in a neutral color. Black, etain, gold, etoupe, maybe blue sapphire, or even the beautiful reds. Good luck.

Satisfied for a while sounds like a better plan! I like that [emoji3] I've found that I've made several "mistakes" with bags. I've chosen wrong colors in the past but this is the first orange or first "pop" of color. You are right when you say that bigger bags were popular, I own bigger bags because of that and I'm only now realizing that smaller bags not only look more proportioned to me but they are much easier to carry as well. Thank you! I actually became really excited just reading what you wrote about a 30 in a neutral color. Black, etain, gold, etoupe- I guess it's a sign that I'm really drawn to those colors. [emoji7]

listen to yourself! I do not care how hard it is to get one. if it does not make you excited and happy , it is not the right bag for you, regardless of the color... after all you are speding 10K of your money- it must make you happy not stressed out

It doesn't make me excited or happy in the right ways. It makes me happy that I have a birkin but sad that it's not the right one. Oh my but it is hard to get one! I hope I get lucky! Thank you!

You will get another B that you love. My first was a B40 chocolate almost 7 years ago. I adored it but found it too big....and let it go until the perfect B came my way.

Sent from my LG-H820 using PurseForum mobile app

Hi! Was it hard to let it go since it was your first? And with not knowing when the perfect one would come? I think if I knew that I could get another one easily then I wouldn't hesitate at the thought of letting go of Ms. Orange.