1L Support Group

Apr 12, 2006
Okay so I'm in the throes of reading Garratt v. Dailey and decided I needed a break. Are there any other 1L's out there who are already overwhelmed and tired from the start of the year? Orientation was all of last week and classes just started yesterday and I'm already feeling stressed. :sad:

Pretty much every 1L goes through the same experience. It's sort of a rite of passage. Have you read Scott Turow's book One L? If you haven't it's too late now...mwahahahahahaha! But you will survive. Just remember...the first year they scare you to death; the second year they work you to death; the third year they bore you to death. ;)

Don't worry, it gets easier. Profs are toughest during the first year and everything is new and intimidating. Have you seen the The Paper Chase? It's about the first year of ls, I watch it at the beginning of every new school year out of tradition. Your best support group will be your classmates.

Oh, and enjoy your torts!

My orientation starts next Monday! I am SOOO petrified!

When I had orientation a couple of years ago, I heard that a couple of people dropped out cause they were scared to death!:nuts:

Oh, when you get called on, everybody isn't looking at you, they are too busy worrying about getting called on themselves. ;)

Hi! I just started my 3L year on Monday. You'll be fine! Just be prepared for class and brief all of your cases and you will be fine if you get called on. I remember being SOOO nervous my first year and now I can't believe how quickly time has flown. I can't believe Im a 3L already! if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM!

For non-lawyers, 1L = first year law school student, 2L = second year student, 3L = third (and last) year student.

1L year is overwhelming -- you will be stuck in the same group for the same classes all year long, but you get used to it within a couple of weeks. Think of it as a 40-hour-a-week job and you'll realize it's not that much of a commitment... it's not like you're an investment banker or big law firm associate.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Brief all your cases, spend a lot of time at the library on one of the quiet floors and don't believe the bluffers who claim to understand all of the assigned material (these are the ones most likely not to see L3!).

You'll be just fine!

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. It helped. Really. :tup::heart:

I haven't seen Paper Chase, nor have I read One L. I have heard about them though. Some of my classmates have read the book and seen the movie and they said it really intimidated them before they even GOT to school!

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. It helped. Really. :tup::heart:

I haven't seen Paper Chase, nor have I read One L. I have heard about them though. Some of my classmates have read the book and seen the movie and they said it really intimidated them before they even GOT to school!

This is exactly why I refuse to see them. Someone on tPF who has given me a lot of great law school advice (and posted in this thread!) told me to watch The Paper Chase but know that law school isn't really like that. I'm choosing to stay away because I don't want to scare myself any more than I already have.

Nathansgirl, what school do you go to? PM me if you don't want to post it.

For non-lawyers, 1L = first year law school student, 2L = second year student, 3L = third (and last) year student.

1L year is overwhelming -- you will be stuck in the same group for the same classes all year long, but you get used to it within a couple of weeks. Think of it as a 40-hour-a-week job and you'll realize it's not that much of a commitment... it's not like you're an investment banker or big law firm associate.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

thanks for clarifying, article! i was sitting here wondering what 1L was. lol

When I had orientation a couple of years ago, I heard that a couple of people dropped out cause they were scared to death!:nuts:

Oh, when you get called on, everybody isn't looking at you, they are too busy worrying about getting called on themselves. ;)

So, so, so true. Just don't fall behind with reading. Hang in there. Before you know it, it's graduation day. And then comes the bar...:graucho:.