1ct Diamond: NEED HELP

hja

O.G.
Apr 21, 2009
Dear Forum Experts,

I am on the look out for a 1 ct round diamond and based on my limited diamond knowledge, have narrowed down to these 2. They are both 3x. I would be making this diamond into a pendant. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Diamond 1:
Measurements 6.45 - 6.47 x 3.98 mm
Carat Weight 1.03 carat
Color Grade G
Clarity Grade VS1
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 61.7 %
Table 57 %
Crown Angle 34.5°
Crown Height 14.5%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None

Clarity Characteristics Cloud, Needle

Additional clouds, pinpoints and surface graining are not shown.

Diamond 2:
Table 56 %
Crown Angle 34.0°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet None
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence Faint
Clarity Characteristics Feather

My concern with Diamond 1 are the clouds and needles. Should this put me off diamond 1?

Thank-you in advance

lol! I don't know where you live, but you asked in the middle of the night. . . Give people a chance to wake up, go to work/school/whatever and check in ;)

Sent from my iPad
56.5% EX
35.3° 15.4 %
40.6°
3.99 mm 61.6% EX
42.6 %
3.5% Ex
0.6% Very Small EX
6.47 - 6.50 mm

This is considered an excellent cut for a 1.03ct round. I wouldn't worry about the feathers. The G grade is very appealing and cut is essential. Hope it helps:smile:

Whatever the poster above me just posted numberwise would be a NO based on that crown. That crown angle and pavilion angle do not go together.

HJA:
What's the depth on number 2? That's not given. But #1 would probably be my pick based on angles, though I don't love that girdle. The crown and pav are nice together though.

Regarding clarity: in a VS1 that wouldn't bother me. However I would want high res photos from a few angles if you are not able to view in person. Is this via a local seller or online? If you would like to send me more info in a PM that's fine so someone doesn't buy either out from under you.

I am not quick on the boards lately because it's wedding season and I have orders to finish.

I believe ame, our resident diamond expert will be able to help you out. Perhaps send a message to her on this?

lol! I don't know where you live, but you asked in the middle of the night. . . Give people a chance to wake up, go to work/school/whatever and check in ;)

Thanks Solemony and Swanky. I guessed I posted it too early. In my part of the world, it was in the afternoon....too anxious about the feedback to remember the time difference :P

Swanky: I was hoping to hear from you or Ame :biggrin:

Sent from my iPad
56.5% EX
35.3° 15.4 %
40.6°
3.99 mm 61.6% EX
42.6 %
3.5% Ex
0.6% Very Small EX
6.47 - 6.50 mm

This is considered an excellent cut for a 1.03ct round. I wouldn't worry about the feathers. The G grade is very appealing and cut is essential. Hope it helps:smile:

Thanks moto!

Whatever the poster above me just posted numberwise would be a NO based on that crown. That crown angle and pavilion angle do not go together.

HJA:
What's the depth on number 2? That's not given. But #1 would probably be my pick based on angles, though I don't love that girdle. The crown and pav are nice together though.

Regarding clarity: in a VS1 that wouldn't bother me. However I would want high res photos from a few angles if you are not able to view in person. Is this via a local seller or online? If you would like to send me more info in a PM that's fine so someone doesn't buy either out from under you.

I am not quick on the boards lately because it's wedding season and I have orders to finish.

Hi Ame!! Thanks for replying. Am learning quite a bit from your advice to others. Was sooo tempted to send you a PM :smile:

The depth for Diamond 2 is 61.6.

I would not be able to view the diamond in person-it is from a local seller. They don't have the diamond in hand and would need to order it after I had paid a deposit. I am not from the US and the seller is more into Lazare and forever mark diamonds-both which are way off my budget for that diamond weight and clarity. Some of concerns are:

1. Do you think it is ok to put a deposit without being able to see the diamond in person? I will try to request for high definition photos-hope they are able to provide them.

2. What would be the negatives of a thick girdle?

3. The seller tells me Diamond 2 is a nicer diamond. But your view is Diamond 1 is better (and I totally trust you on this). But just for my knowledge, what is wrong with Diamond 2?

Thanks for your advice Ame. Really appreciate it. :hugs:

I'm not Ame, but based on what I've read on other diamond forums, a feather is the least preferred kind of inclusion (I'm obviously not including big chunks of black carbon, but I don't think that's what you'd be dealing with in a VS1 diamond - generally), particularly if it's near the surface. I don't think you mentioned what the clarity grade for Diamond 2? If it's SI graded, it'd be more of a concern than say VS+.

Also, are these GIA graded diamonds? That may also make a difference.

Hi Ame!! Thanks for replying. Am learning quite a bit from your advice to others. Was sooo tempted to send you a PM :smile:

The depth for Diamond 2 is 61.6.

I would not be able to view the diamond in person-it is from a local seller. They don't have the diamond in hand and would need to order it after I had paid a deposit. I am not from the US and the seller is more into Lazare and forever mark diamonds-both which are way off my budget for that diamond weight and clarity. Some of concerns are:

1. Do you think it is ok to put a deposit without being able to see the diamond in person? I will try to request for high definition photos-hope they are able to provide them.

2. What would be the negatives of a thick girdle?

3. The seller tells me Diamond 2 is a nicer diamond. But your view is Diamond 1 is better (and I totally trust you on this). But just for my knowledge, what is wrong with Diamond 2?

Thanks for your advice Ame. Really appreciate it. :hugs:
As Ferdi asked--who graded these stones? GIA? AGS? IGI? EGL?

1) Only if you can't get your money back in full in the form of payment you made. If they cannot provide you with high resolution images and preferably an ASET and Idealscope image, that to me would put me off. Especially if there's no full refund, only credit. I am not sure where you are in the world, and whether you're locked in with this vendor or not, but if you can't see this thing before you buy it or put a deposit on it and this is a local vendor, that would be a problem for me. What is your recourse if you DO put a deposit on it and you're not pleased?

2) You lose spread, ie the diamond isn't as big in diameter as it "should" be for that carat weight because the weight of the diamond is in the middle. Like...all of my weight is in my midsection. Therefore I am not as spectacular as I could be, and I don't face up for my weight the way I should, because I am a chub in the middle ;)

3. The numbers are great, however: without knowing the clarity grade, we can't weigh in on that inclusion. It may well be a better stone but I need more info than you have there. Ferdi is correct in indicating that a feather could be a make or break. I tend to find dark crystals to outweigh most feathers unless the feather was the grademaker. Size and location will dictate that.

If you have more info on either stone or the vendor that you don't want public for fear of poaching, PM to me.

Depending where you are--is buying from a US based vendor an option? I realize returns are a major PITA, as are imports, and I don't know based on where you are about how secure this might be, but it's another option, and one where you're more sure you're getting what you're buying and the images shown will be the actual photos of the actual item you are buying for review.

As Ferdi asked--who graded these stones? GIA? AGS? IGI? EGL?

1) Only if you can't get your money back in full in the form of payment you made. If they cannot provide you with high resolution images and preferably an ASET and Idealscope image, that to me would put me off. Especially if there's no full refund, only credit. I am not sure where you are in the world, and whether you're locked in with this vendor or not, but if you can't see this thing before you buy it or put a deposit on it and this is a local vendor, that would be a problem for me. What is your recourse if you DO put a deposit on it and you're not pleased?

2) You lose spread, ie the diamond isn't as big in diameter as it "should" be for that carat weight because the weight of the diamond is in the middle. Like...all of my weight is in my midsection. Therefore I am not as spectacular as I could be, and I don't face up for my weight the way I should, because I am a chub in the middle ;)

3. The numbers are great, however: without knowing the clarity grade, we can't weigh in on that inclusion. It may well be a better stone but I need more info than you have there. Ferdi is correct in indicating that a feather could be a make or break. I tend to find dark crystals to outweigh most feathers unless the feather was the grademaker. Size and location will dictate that.

If you have more info on either stone or the vendor that you don't want public for fear of poaching, PM to me.

Depending where you are--is buying from a US based vendor an option? I realize returns are a major PITA, as are imports, and I don't know based on where you are about how secure this might be, but it's another option, and one where you're more sure you're getting what you're buying and the images shown will be the actual photos of the actual item you are buying for review.

I'm not Ame, but based on what I've read on other diamond forums, a feather is the least preferred kind of inclusion (I'm obviously not including big chunks of black carbon, but I don't think that's what you'd be dealing with in a VS1 diamond - generally), particularly if it's near the surface. I don't think you mentioned what the clarity grade for Diamond 2? If it's SI graded, it'd be more of a concern than say VS+.

Also, are these GIA graded diamonds? That may also make a difference.

Ame, Ferdi: thank-you very much for your input...really love this forum!

Both diamonds are GIA certified diamonds with VS1 clarity. Sorry for missing out the information in my original post. I have "mindclean" issues and can't seem to settle for SI.

I will ask for the the seller for more pictures. However from the GIA report checker, there are clouds in the middle of the diamond (based on the GIA pdf report). Is that a cause for concern? I can't seem to upload the pictures on line. I will PM you the information, Ame.

Regarding the deposit, I will need to speak to them. I am not locked to the seller, but I have been dealing with them in the past and they are pretty good. They are one of the bigger stores in my country. I am from Asia.

Ame: Thanks for the animated explanation of a thick girdle. I understand it much better this way-although I am sure you look fantastic in person!

I will ask for the the seller for more pictures. However from the GIA report checker, there are clouds in the middle of the diamond (based on the GIA pdf report). Is that a cause for concern? I can't seem to upload the pictures on line. I will PM you the information, Ame.

Regarding the deposit, I will need to speak to them. I am not locked to the seller, but I have been dealing with them in the past and they are pretty good. They are one of the bigger stores in my country. I am from Asia.

I thought that description might help ;)

Regarding clouds...in a VS2 it's POSSIBLE it could be an issue. But the other being a VS1, the feather is the only grademaker on that report. Either could be clean, and great, but you need to see them in really high res and magnified images to make your decision. They're both nice on paper for cut, now it's down to seeing them and seeing which one does it for you.