1986 Speedy - Restore or Replace? PICS!

1. Hey y'all!
    When cleaning out my closet this weekend I found my 1986 SPEEDY! Omg! I thought it had been stolen in a house break-in last year (yes girl, they stole ALL my LV) but I guess it was buried and there it was!
    There are some rips inside, but the canvas has zero rips anywhere... Amazing. My questions is this: I really want to have the leather cleaned and keep all the hardware because it's so old. If I were to replace the leather, then it wouldn't really be a 1986 bag in my mind. The only thing I'd have to get new would be a zipper pull.
    So, the second question is this: What restoration places could clean the leather and polish up the brass? Any recommendations? I'd love to show the process on the forum for all to see. I did use Rago Brothers once to get the smell out of a bag I got on Ebay... I paid $190.00 and they still weren't able to get the smell out. I kind of have a bad taste for them over that, but if you guys say that they'd be the best choice, I might give them another try.
    Thanks LV Lovers, all advice is appreciated!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. Always great to have a vintage piece, but I would definitely replace rather than repair.

3. I would replace, not repair. Keep it as is with all the memories that go along with it

eyescream likes this.
  4. Thanks for your opinion guys! So many memories with our LV bags. So glad to have a place where people get it. :smile:

5. What a beautiful vintage bag!
    I would consider replacing it rather than repairing it. You can always keep the vintage bag for the the nostalgic memories.

6. +1

That's what I think too.

7. +1

+1

+1

+1

8. I'd replace too

9. Replace

10. There are many people who've DIY'd vintage bags back to health. I'd replace it with a brand-new Speedy then read about DIY tutorials for home-restoration of your bag. I'll bet you could do it.

11. Definitely replace!

12. Replace. Looks like it will be costly to replace all the leather and the lining.

13. I would replace it.

14. KEEP IT AND REPLACE THE LEATHER!!!! They dont make bags like that anymore!!!!! The canvas feels so different, and thats a classic bag! It also survived a very tough time in your life! She looks like you love her!

15. You're so right... The canvas is way heavier than my current Monogram items. I think I'm going to make a project of the restoration! You're right that it made it thru the break-in... I never considered maybe we were meant to be together. They stole over $25k in bags/luggage :sad: but my speedy survived. You've inspired me to give it life again. :heart: