Travel 193 Countries...How Many Have You Been To

twiggers

O.G.
May 7, 2006
According to the UN, there are 193 countries (with some debate). How many have you been to and which ones (please don't include holdings of other countries...for example, the Cayman Islands are not a country)? For a good reference see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states:

I have a pathetic number (7):

Canada
USA
Honduras
Belize
Mexico
Sweden
United Kingdom

Later this year I will be adding:
Jamaica
Haiti
Bahamas
Brazil
Argentina
Uruguay
and possibly Paraguay...maybe a couple more Caribbean nations if I can toss in another cruise.

I have been to:
United Kingdom
United States
France
Switzerland
Greece
Turkey
Indonesia
Saudi Arabia
United Arab emirates
Egypt
Jordan
Monaco

I think thats it, I have a feeling I might be missing one that ive forgotten.

So the Cayman Islands aren't a country? What would you count it as, England? The Bahamas are a commonwealth btw...

I wouldn't considered Cayman Islands as anything....just an island...but English holding.
The Bahamas is/are recognized as a country (as are places like Canada, Australia, etc.) Technically called a commonwealth realm, but still recognized by the UN as a country:

A Commonwealth realm is a sovereign state within the Commonwealth of Nations that has Elizabeth II as its monarch.[1] The sixteen current realms have a combined land area of 18.8 million km² (7.3 million mi², excluding Antarctic claims), and a population of 132 million;[2] all but about two million live in the six most populous states, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, and Jamaica.

I've been to

United Kingdom
United States
Canada
Mexiko
Switzerland
Germany
France
Italy
Spain
Monaco
Greece
Austria
Czech Republic
Hungary
Netherlands
Sweden
Russia
Morroco
Tunisia
United Arab Emirates
Maldives
Sri Lanka
India
Thailand
Singapore
Australia

That's it!

Reactions: BonVoyageBaby
United States
Canada
Mexico
Cuba
Japan

This is not counting countries I've been at an airport in, since the flight to Japan included two layovers in other countries.

WOW....born to shop....that is a lot of countries!!!!

I know... :blush:
I have been very lucky to be able to travel so much. Actually I travelled a lot with my mother when I was younger (am 25 now).
But you know, when you think that there are 193 countries in the world, I haven't been to that many... There are actually so many places I would love to go! Never been to South America or Africa (besides Northern Africa but I think that's very different from the rest of the continent).
I may add Iceland to my list of countries later this year, however, we're still deciding between that and Greece!

finland
sweden
norway
denmark
uk
france
germany
spain
greece
cyprus
italy
monaco
switzerland
austria
hungary
belgium
netherlands
ireland
US
canada
morocco
india
australia
maldives
thailand
singapore
hong kong
japan
UAE (abu dhabi +dubai)

and a bunch of overseas territories of the UK/US/france.

still trying to make it to south america!

USA (of course lol)
Canada
Different cities in Central America, although I don't think they're considered their own countries
UK
Portugal
Spain
France
Italy

Trying to figure out a way to go to China & Japan or to Morocco, Egypt and Algeria in 2011!

I love travel and still would like to visit more countries. DH has been to many more than I.

USA
Canada
Mexico
United Kingdom
Denmark
France
Germany
Switzerland
Austria
Italy
Spain
China
Bahamas

digby: You might be surprised! Most of C. America are independent countries. It's the Caribbean islands that are often not.

annanas: That is an impressive list!!!

born to shop: I know what you mean! I have this app on facebook and it says that I have visited 2% of the world :sad:

I"m so envious of those of you who have extensively travelled Europe or Asia!