17 year old who wants a crash course..

aliasfreak909

Feb 16, 2009
Hey all,

Im new to marc jacobs and to this thread

its only been lately that i have fallen in love with designer fashion and mainly marc jacobs handbags

im just wondering what you guys think would be the most fashionable yet practical bag?

so far my favorites are the stam, venetia, and blake although they are incredibly expensive.. i really just want a designer bag that i can take everywhere with me and that isn't too flashy and those seem like the best.

im not spoiled at all, so im also wondering if there are any places i can get a deal on these bags?

or is there another better brand that i can start out with.

thanks

^ Do you mind sharing your budget? Also, what are your favorite colors?

I wouldn't discount MJ just yet. There are often some excellent deals on the older classic MJ bags on eBay.

Last edited:
im not looking for a ton of bags im just wondering if marc jacobs would be the best brand for a girl like me. i really just want a classic bag i can take anywhere

and my budget is really well.. less than 2,000. well it really depends on the bag. i dont want to buy more than like 2 designer bags though. gahh i feel like im falling in love or something they are all so gorgeous.

i have a job and since i still live with the parents i just have some money saved up.

but idk if its worth it especially since im only 17.

I love MJ and his designs. I feel like there is truly something for everyone. From the classics like the Blake, Venetia, Stam, etc. to more trendy ones like the Carter line, Colorblock line, etc. The prices are really reasonable too! I know you don't want to get more than 2 designer bags but be careful, it's going to be hard to stop at just 2 MJ's :P.

out of all of them at least the ones ive seen so far my fav is the stam but it is really expensive... i just don't know. are there any places where they usually go on sale? or a website?

and im afraid to get one off ebay and find out if its fake or worse not know its a fake lol

$2,000 should provide you with a nice selection on MJ bags. Also, MJ bags generally so on sale everywhere but the boutiques at the end of the season so you could get more bang for your buck by waiting. In general, most of those websites that constantly offer discounts on MJ bags sell fakes so be sure to post any website you are considering purchasing from in the http://forum.purseblog.com/marc-jacobs/authenticate-this-marc-jacobs-333528.html thread above.

If you want a good idea of the various MJ bags available you can look through the MJ library: http://forum.purseblog.com/marc-jacobs-reference-library/

HTH! :flowers:

It also depends on your lifestyle. The Stam is beautiful, but maybe not as practical as some of the other bags. For a 17 year old, I would say a Blake, Venetia, Multipocket. You can get great deals on E-bay on some of these bags. It just takes patience and diligence. I am not trying to convince you to not purchase the Stam. If you love it, you can also find those at a discount. You just have to make sure to get any MJ bag authenticated here before you purchase it.

Also, have you looked at the Marc by Marc Jacobs bags? They are more youthful and less expensive. There are some really great styles in that line, too.

Good luck of finding your perfect bags. I am sure you will be hooked on MJ!

Don't worry about being young, alias. I fell in love with MJ bags when I was only 2 years older than you are, and all it takes is perseverence in saving up money. :yes: It seems like a lot of money right now, but if you purchase an MJ bag you know it'll last forever - and that, IMHO, is very much worth the pricetag. Besides, eBay and Bonanzle (it's like eBay except newer - tPFers are trying to use it as much as possible so it becomes even more popular!) can be very reliable sources. I've bought and sold many times online, and as long as you are careful and have bags authenticated here first (in the Authentication thread on this subforum) - the odds of something bad happening are very slim. Many of the tPFers here are experts on MJ, and I trust their opinions. Authentication know-how comes with practice, too, so feel free to check out the Reference threads. :tup:

If the Stam is your favorite, then you should go for it! If you get it in a versatile color that you really love, I see no reason why it can't be called a "classic." Stams are incredibly roomy and extremely popular, and they come in all sorts of different leathers, colors, etc. Again, check out the Reference threads and/or do a search for "Stam" and you'll see all the different variations!

Usually when Stams go on sale (which I don't think is very often), they're snatched up really quickly. But keep your eye on the Sales thread because they do pop up every now and then, and you might just get lucky.

Welcome to the forum, btw! :flowers:

Last edited:
thanks that reference library is great. and i have looket at marc by mj but idk i like the higher end line better but then again i dont want to look foolish having such an expensive bag at 17..

and this will probably sound stupid but when does the season end? or when do stores usually put their stuff on sale?

i have already been to saks off fifth and nordstroms rack but i couldn't really find any mj. maybe i just went on a bad day

and also really i just want someone to give me a crash course in MJ because i really have only seen like 3 bags.. i dont even know what the carter and colorblock lines are.

A crash course would be difficult since there's so much to choose from....try looking at the Marc Jacobs sections of websites like Saks, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Barneys, Fashionphile, Yoogi's Closet, etc. to get an idea of what kinds of bags are currently out there. But keep in mind there are dozens of other bags that aren't being produced anymore, and they're hard to find in stores - some things you can only buy at resellers at this point.

wow thanks those websites are amazing.. mj bags are so gorgeousss but gah im just so twisted. i have been looking at mbmj stuff and everything is so cute. what do you guys think is more reasonable for a 17 year old, mj or mbmj..

but the blake is so gorgeous yet so expensive. so when do these bags go on sale?

......... The Stam is beautiful, but maybe not as practical as some of the other bags. For a 17 year old, I would say a Blake, Venetia, Multipocket. .........
I think I disagree with this -- I think the stam is more suitable for a 17 yr old than a Blake or Venetia. I think the Blake & Venetia are more "lady-like" bags, while the stam can be edgy and "cool" especially in the right color -- I'm not saying that a 17 yr old couldnt pull off a Venetia or a Blake, I just think I could imagine a 17 yr old carrying a Stam before I'd imagine them carrying a "classic"

so you think i would look weird with a blake or venetia?
personally all three are amazing. and when i said classic i didn't really mean like an "old lady" bag for lack of a better term, i meant something that never will fall out of style and that i can take anywhere, from going to the grocery store to going out at night.