17 year old who wants a crash course..

Welcome to MJ, first of all. You picked an awesome designer to fall for!

MJ not only has a LOT to offer but he also has bags that go on sale (which I know was key for me when I was 17)

I would definitely take a look around and get a feel for what you like. I would say almost all of his bags can be considered classic in one way or another - it just depends on your preference!

Do you like quilted bags, smoother bags, heavier with suede interior or lighter with canvas interior, hand bags or shoulder bags? There's tonnnnnns of questions you can probably ask yourself but I agree with the girls that looking around and then either shooting us a question or deciding on your own is the greatest idea. We all have different opinions and favorites!

I actually think a Stam is an awesome place to start if you are adamant about sticking to Collection bags and have the $$$$ to do it. It is edgy, youthful and classic alllll at the same time. I personally feel like the Blake/Venetia is a more adult look that can be grown into over time. With that said, I don't know your personality or your habits so if those fit your needs more than by all means try them. Just jump right in and you won't be disappointed 99% of the time =)

so you think i would look weird with a blake or venetia?
personally all three are amazing. and when i said classic i didn't really mean like an "old lady" bag for lack of a better term, i meant something that never will fall out of style and that i can take anywhere, from going to the grocery store to going out at night.

Depending on your personality style, I think any of the bags you're considering could look great on you. Stams are trendy and youthful, but they're also mature. I have a very classic sensibility when it comes to fashion, so when I was 19 I bought a Blake (and it still remains my favorite style) - and I don't think I looked weird or anything. And I look young for my age, so I definitely could've passed as a 17 or 16 year old when I was 19. ;) Like I said, it just depends on what you like and what style goes best with you. Everyone's different, and the same applies to bag taste. :yes:

I think that starting out with a versatile bag is a very smart thing to do, and I think that the classic bags (Venetia, Blake, etc.) fulfill that purpose very well. Personally, though, I don't think I'd go to the grocery store with a Stam. :P

Have you considered (or seen) the multipocket, or the Stella, or the Sophia?

These also seem like classic but fun options for you. The multipocket comes (came?) in 2 sizes and all those styles were made in a wide variety of colors. They can usually be found at a great discount on E-bay or Bonanzle.

rachieface has great suggestions for helping you narrow down your options. Think hard about hand-held vs. shoulder-carried (or even messenger style, if you like that), what kind of strap or chain, and so on. Especially think about what colors you like! There are many to choose from and zeroing in on a particular combination in a bag can keep your bargain hunt focused.

I'm 24 and I only have two MJ bags, 2 MJ zip clutches. I did not pay more than $300 for any of my purchases (in contrast, I got a "rock-bottom" price on a Balenciaga at $520). I find that you can get much better deals on MJ than on many other brands, and you aren't sacrificing anything in terms of quality or style.

If you aren't sure if the investment is worth it yet, start with a small purchase.

I'm 25 and I just got my first and only MJ, a gray Stam. I love it so much and carry it everywhere, yes, even the grocery store! I think it is a youthful bag and classic. It holds a lot of stuff (I like big bags) and is easy to get in and out of. If you love this style, go for it!

I have to admit, I take my Stams to the grocery store, too.

Any bag is the perfect bag for you if you are comfortable with it. Whether it's a Stam, a Blake, or anything in between. It's funny, because I know the Blake and Venetia seem more ladylike, but the pushlocks make it a bit more casual to me. Not super casual, just not as dressed up. I do know that when I was 17......a long, long, time ago.......I probably would not have wanted a handbag. It needed to be something I could carry on my shoulder. I know times have changed and hand-carried bags are much more popular now. That is something to consider, though. What is most comfortable for you to carry.

Just take your time and get a feel for what would work for you. It is very fun to look back at older posts and learn from reading them all. There is so much info on these boards. I bet you could find an answer to just about anything you want to know when it comed to MJ bags!

Have you tried MJ bags at a store?
I think if you try them on, you can get more clear idea which bag is for you. Your favorite MJ bag is STAM now, but there is a chance that you may feel the other bag is better on you when you actually try them on. (I felt the similar thing when I tried on YSL bag that I really wanted and found the bag is not for me)
BTW, STAM is a great bag... I am also planning to have one this year!

welcome alias! :flowers:
everyone has given great advice already but i will add that you won't look weird with a blake or venetia. the venetia tends to be heavy so be sure that you like hand-held bags. if you carry a ton of stuff around (like i do ;)) then it may be too heavy (just my opinion, others don't mind it).

the blake is such a great bag too! love it.

thanks for the great advice everyone. I keep leaning towards the blake now because i really do love handbags more than shoulder ones.

I also think its a good idea to go to the store and see for my self.

I talked to my friends today and the only thing they said is that it was a little too pricey.

would marc by marc jacobs be better for someone my age?

and also do any of the classics like stam or blake ever go on sale. or could i find them at an outlet?

and additionally im also worried about longetvity. since I want to get a practical purse I also want it to last a while. how long do the purses usually last? years i hope?

thanksss again everyone.

it wouldn't be too pricey if you loved it enough to use it all the time. this is where the cost per wear calculation is invaluable. i spent about a grand after taxes on my plum large mp, but i use it pretty much everyday. i've had for about a year now, so it's only cost me a little under $3 per wear. it'll get even cheaper the longer i use it, so it was a smart investment on my part. :flowers:

also, try not to listen to what your friends say about how much you ought to spend on something. that decision is entirely up to you and what you feel comfortable with. my friends think i'm nuts spending so much money on bags, but it's ultimately about what makes me happy. at the end of the day, you earned your money (operative words here being "your money"), so you should spend it how you see fit. :yes:

welcome to MJ, these gals here are the best. YOu have choosen a very nice designer, indeed. My first love for MJ was the blake. I think the blake is the classic bag, that you would use it years from now. I own several blakes, and still love them. Let us know what you have decided to be your first MJ, and post pictures once you bought the bags.

and additionally ive been looking online everywhere and it seems as if the blake and venetia have disappeared?

from this forum i heard about a crazy saks and nordstroms sale is that all over?
will they never go on sale again? does anyone know when the next big sale will be?

it wouldn't be too pricey if you loved it enough to use it all the time. this is where the cost per wear calculation is invaluable. i spent about a grand after taxes on my plum large mp, but i use it pretty much everyday. i've had for about a year now, so it's only cost me a little under $3 per wear. it'll get even cheaper the longer i use it, so it was a smart investment on my part. :flowers:

This is precisely the kind of rationale I use when deciding whether or not to purchase a bag, in addition to figuring out how often I know I will carry a particular bag I want.

I bought a non-MJ bag that was over $1K last year... I ended up not carrying it as much because it seemed too "precious" so the cost per wear is not working out as I thought it would (I still love it tho). So I've learned my lesson, the bag has to be something I absolutely love, as well as something that is completely reasonable for every day use.