16A vs. 17P Caviar Boy Comparison *PHOTOS*

jilly.bean

Jan 23, 2013
Hello TPFers!

I had the opportunity to purchase two old medium caviar Boy bags from different seasons and wanted to share a few comparison pictures in the event that anyone is curious how caviar differs between two seasons:

16A (left) vs. 17P (right):
FullSizeRender.jpg

16A (bottom) vs. 17P (top):
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

16A close up:
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

17P close up:
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Noticeable differences:

• 16A caviar is more matte and sleek
  • 16A quilts are more uniform and understated
  • 17P caviar is more shiny, soft, and almost plasticky
  • 17P quilts are more defined, plush/pillowy, and pinched
  • 17P bag is larger (approx half an inch taller in height) despite both priced at old medium size ($4,700)
**Note: Both bags were purchased from different stores.**

It’s so crazy how much caviar could vary between two seasons. I am very meticulous--it's almost ridiculous--when purchasing a new caviar piece (whether it’s a bag or SLG) because there is so much variance. I must admit that sometimes I ask my SA for multiple photos in different lighting!

In the end, I ended up keeping the 16A caviar bag because I personally prefer the matte/sleek/understated look. The 17P caviar honestly felt really cheap because it was so shiny, soft, and almost flimsy (when opening the flap) if you will. When I compared the two bags side by side, it was evident that the 16A caviar bag was of higher quality.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks for letting me share!

tigresspurse

Aug 22, 2013
USA
I couldn't agree more. I am almost shocked about how cheap and plasticky the 17P caviar looks. I would only buy lambskin this season, looks so much more classy.

Reactions: kkfiregirl

chanel1212

Jun 18, 2013
i got the 17P in blue... i was told it's not the regular caviar, it's grained lambskin.. i was so disappointed in this bag because it chipped :sad: it was a really pretty bag though! glad you ended up keeping the 16A :smile:

IMG_1492836747.247867.jpg

catin

Jun 21, 2015
i got the 17P in blue... i was told it's not the regular caviar, it's grained lambskin.. i was so disappointed in this bag because it chipped :sad: it was a really pretty bag though! glad you ended up keeping the 16A :smile:

View attachment 3674895
I had a phone holder on chain in the same blue caviar and it had a ridiculous crazy amount of chipping after 2-3 weeks of non-abusive usage. I think this material with the color on it is not holding up so well in general.

Oct 4, 2008
I want it all!!
I
Hello TPFers!

I had the opportunity to purchase two old medium caviar Boy bags from different seasons and wanted to share a few comparison pictures in the event that anyone is curious how caviar differs between two seasons:

16A (left) vs. 17P (right):
View attachment 3672807

16A (bottom) vs. 17P (top):
View attachment 3672809

16A close up:
View attachment 3672810

17P close up:
View attachment 3672812

Noticeable differences:

• 16A caviar is more matte and sleek
  • 16A quilts are more uniform and understated
  • 17P caviar is more shiny, soft, and almost plasticky
  • 17P quilts are more defined, plush/pillowy, and pinched
  • 17P bag is larger (approx half an inch taller in height) despite both priced at old medium size ($4,700)
**Note: Both bags were purchased from different stores.**

It’s so crazy how much caviar could vary between two seasons. I am very meticulous--it's almost ridiculous--when purchasing a new caviar piece (whether it’s a bag or SLG) because there is so much variance. I must admit that sometimes I ask my SA for multiple photos in different lighting!

In the end, I ended up keeping the 16A caviar bag because I personally prefer the matte/sleek/understated look. The 17P caviar honestly felt really cheap because it was so shiny, soft, and almost flimsy (when opening the flap) if you will. When I compared the two bags side by side, it was evident that the 16A caviar bag was of higher quality.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks for letting me share!
I concur.
I have a black old medium boy that is 16A. Just got a blue 17P zip wallet in blue to add a bit of color and contrast... huge difference in the leather. the zip wallet leather is definitely more shiny and has an almost plastic feel to the touch. I love the color though, so I'll keep it. But I much prefer 16A caviar.