10+ yrs Ebay seller. 10000+ packages shipped. 1st time package lost for good

sasha671

O.G.
Feb 11, 2007
It finally happened to me. I had packages delayed, I had buyers who tried to pull old INR (when mailman didnt get the signature, US buyers), but I've never had to refund buyers for INR. in 10+ yrs. Toprated platinum powerseller. This is the first. International package to Ireland. Not UK, Ireland. I really dont know what to think. it cleared customs there and stopped tracking after that. 2 months ago. Buyer opened Paypal dispute and after 30 days Paypal closed it and refunded buyer. i have USPS claim on this (no Insurance but I will get about $66 (indemnity coverage on Priority) and shipping I paid back when USPS closes this. they told me its at stage 2 now (40 days after I opened the claim). I know people have problems with shipping to Italy and Russia but I never had any problems there. Addresses in Ireland on the other hand? I just dont know. This buyer's address doesnt have 1 number. not 1. Just 4 words. thats it. I asked her to confirm and she did, said its a small town. No building number, apt, zip, nada. I just dont know what to think. Even USPS claim person asked: is that it? about address. I dont think I will be shipping to Ireland

How did you ship it?

Do the UK sites provide any further tracking information?

The address situation is quite normal for Ireland, particularly Southern Ireland if I recall correctly (which I am assuming is where you sent it to as Northern Ireland is part of the UK).

It is quite normal for address's in Ireland to be like that. Small community's and the postman usually knows everyone. Sorry yours got lost
Yes. I guess I am a sceptic. Mail man knows everybody personally? Small community? she handed my buyer her package no need to scan it? who lost here? Seller. Will no longer ship to Ireland TYVM

Yes. I guess I am a sceptic. Mail man knows everybody personally? Small community? she handed my buyer her package no need to scan it? who lost here? Seller. Will no longer ship to Ireland TYVM
I have shipped quite a few packages to Ireland with Signed for option and none have ever gone missing. Hope it wasn't too expensive an item

I have shipped quite a few packages to Ireland with Signed for option and none have ever gone missing. Hope it wasn't too expensive an item

I dont know where You are shipping from but as far as USPS services only Global Express guaranteed (which would cost about $90 for 15 oz package to ship) will have signature. Priority and Express do not have sign for option. Whatever You sign over there is not viewable online here so is irrelevant as far as Ebay and Paypal seller protection. I had many conversations about this with Both Ebay and Paypal reps

I dont know where You are shipping from but as far as USPS services only Global Express guaranteed (which would cost about $90 for 15 oz package to ship) will have signature. Priority and Express do not have sign for option. Whatever You sign over there is not viewable online here so is irrelevant as far as Ebay and Paypal seller protection. I had many conversations about this with Both Ebay and Paypal reps

No but you can get the signatures from the delivery company on request.

I'm not in Ireland but live in a small(ish) village and our postman would deliver anything to me if it just bore my name and the name of the village!

I have shipped to Ireland before and address was like you say (without numbers, in Ireland they don't have zip codes as I understood). But my package got there safe and sound.
However, in August I shipped the item to UK and it got lost for good. I have refunded the buyer but still hasn't got any money back (the Post is still looking for it... duh..). And I shipped my package Express and paid A LOT for it. First time it has happened to me and I'm really disappointed. So I guess things like that happen sooner or later to all of us.

I'm not in Ireland but live in a small(ish) village and our postman would deliver anything to me if it just bore my name and the name of the village!

My mother lives in a very small town in the US. One time as an experiment, I sent her a letter with only her name and zip code on the envelope. It was delivered to her within 3 days!

But I just have a feeling. this buyer went ahead with Paypal (Not ebay) claim without any contact. Just straight went and opened Paypal INR about 1 month after item was shipped and about 10 days after it cleared customs over there. Something just doesnt smell right. I strongly believe she received the item

How did you ship it?

Do the UK sites provide any further tracking information?

The address situation is quite normal for Ireland, particularly Southern Ireland if I recall correctly (which I am assuming is where you sent it to as Northern Ireland is part of the UK).

I shipped USPS priority (by weight). Used Ebay shipping. It was about $36 for 1LB soft envelope. Yes. buyer in Ireland not UK. The only postal service I am able to find in Ireland is An Post. When I put USPS tracking number there its a no go. I dont know who delivers USPS mail in Ireland

Last edited:
I shipped USPS priority (by weight). Used Ebay shipping. It was about $36 for 1LB soft envelope. Yes. buyer in Ireland not UK. The only postal service I am able to find in Ireland is An Post. When I put USPS tracking number there its a no go. I dont know who delivers USPS mail in Ireland

If your buyer is in Northern Ireland then I believe it's Royal Mail/Parcelforce, exactly the same as it is for the rest of the UK (NI is part of the UK).

If it's (Southern) Republic of Ireland then not sure - there are a couple of posters from Ireland who will be able to help - racking my brains to remember their IDs.

I will say that, even though I know my postman really well, he would not leave a signature parcel unless it was signed for.

But I just have a feeling. this buyer went ahead with Paypal (Not ebay) claim without any contact. Just straight went and opened Paypal INR about 1 month after item was shipped and about 10 days after it cleared customs over there. Something just doesnt smell right. I strongly believe she received the item

buyers only have a certain amount of time in which to open a case. I think that waiting 30 days after shipping and 10 days after clearing customs isn't exactly unreasonable.

how much Feedback does your buyer have????

If they have lower feedback... it MIGHT be questionable.....

If they have higher feedback numbers, and depending on what the item cost,
I would most likely not suspect the buyer is lying.....

It is RARE, but, things do get lost in the mail.... I know it happens a
lot in the USA.....

If your buyer is in Northern Ireland then I believe it's Royal Mail/Parcelforce, exactly the same as it is for the rest of the UK (NI is part of the UK).

If it's (Southern) Republic of Ireland then not sure - there are a couple of posters from Ireland who will be able to help - racking my brains to remember their IDs.

I will say that, even though I know my postman really well, he would not leave a signature parcel unless it was signed for.
Its in Ireland (Country) Not UK. According to many posters here and buyer's address these places are so small I assume everybody knows each other or probably related. So I guess no signature needed.