10 things in your home that are a danger to your dog

  1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Dunno if this has been posted but some of you might find it useful:

    10 Things In Your Home That Can Kill Your Dog

    Dogs are very curious animals and as omnivores and natural scavengers, can get into and eat just about anything. However, there are many toxic substances found in your home that could potentially kill your dog. The following is a list of ten common household substances that you should make sure to keep out of your dog’s reach.

    1) Antifreeze: Many people do not realize it, but common antifreeze kills many pets each year. It smells and tastes very sweet to your dog and is very appealing to him. Ethylene glycol is toxic however, and each winter, many animals are killed by it. Symptoms of toxicity include seizures, vomiting, stumbling and lethargy leading to kidney failure. Make sure to keep your antifreeze out of your dog’s reach. If you suspect that your dog has ingested antifreeze, take your dog to the veterinarian immediately.

    2) Chocolate: Chocolate contains a substance called the obromine which is toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate is especially dangerous. While it usually takes a somewhat large amount of chocolate to kill a dog, poisoning and death does occur with smaller amounts ingested. Signs of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination, and increased activity. This can progress to seizures and unusual heart rhythms. Call your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate.

    3) Bleach: As you might imagine, household bleach is toxic to dogs. Keep all products containing bleach out of your dog’s reach. Symptoms of bleach poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Do NOT induce vomiting if you suspect your dog has ingested bleach and contact your veterinarian immediately.

    4) Tylenol: As little as two regular strength Tylenol tablets can kill a small dog. Dogs lack the proper liver enzymes to break down acetaminophen. Signs of toxicity include drooling, lethargy, and abdominal pain. If you suspect your dog has ingested Tylenol, call your veterinarian immediately.

    5) Watch Batteries: If your dog ingests a watch battery, it can cause a potentially fatal ulceration in the stomach within 12 hours. All other alkaline batteries are toxic to dogs as well. Symptoms of toxicity include drooling, lack of appetite, vomiting, and lethargy. If you suspect your dog has ingested a watch battery, contact your vet immediately.

    6) Moth Balls: Moth balls are very dangerous to dogs. They contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures. When metabolized, ingestion of moth balls can lead to liver failure. Symptoms of poisoning by moth balls include vomiting and seizures. If your dog has consumed moth balls, do NOT induce vomiting. Seek veterinary care immediately.

    7) Fabric Softeners and other detergents: All sorts of household detergents are toxic to dogs at one level or another, but fabric softeners fall into the highly toxic category. Signs of toxicity include vomiting, lethargy, burns to the mouth, drooling, muscle weakness, and even coma. Do NOT induce vomiting if your dog has ingested any detergent. Contact your veterinarian immediately.

    8.) Mouthwash: Mouthwash can contain boric acid which is highly toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning by mouthwash include vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma. You should take your dog to the veterinarian immediately if you suspect poisoning by mouthwash or other household item containing boric acid like contact lens solution or denture cleaner.

    9) Peach Pits: With most fruits, the pits and the seeds are toxic to dogs. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy. If you suspect your dog has eaten a peach pit or the pit or seeds of any fruit, take him to the veterinarian immediately.

    10) Household Plants: Many common and popular household plants are highly toxic to dogs. A partial list of toxic plants includes poinsettias, lilies, ferns, devil’s ivy, aloe, and ivy. Symptoms of poisoning due to ingestion of toxic plants include vomiting and central nervous system excitement. Many of these plants are fatal if ingested. Please contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten a toxic houseplant.
  2. OMG My dogs always steal my fabric softener sheets!! I hope they are talking about the liquid and not the sheets, however i'll definitely be more careful from now on.:wtf:
  3. Thank you for the useful info!
  4. Thanks for the article! I need to go home, re-survey the house, and make sure I don't have anything around that can harm my little baby!
  5. My dogs love finding fabric softener sheets too! I always take it away immediately from them if I see one of them with one because they will chew it to shreds. Now I will be more careful to not let them drop on the floor. Yikes!
  6. Mine do as well. I assume they are referring to liquid ingestion because they have been doing it for years and appear to be fine.

    Well, I think my one APBT (Loki) has an iron stomach cause that boy has gotten into Motor Oil with no ill effects.

    To the OP: thanks for posting this! The fruit info was interesting. I didn't realize that fruit seeds were poisonous for them.
  7. omg chocolate....

    one time my little one ate FIVE bars of See's dk.chocolate w/ almonds in one sitting. shoot!!!!
  8. Thanks for posting this. One of my dogs ALWAYS steals fabric sheets. Maybe I should start using the liquid kind. They can't reach where I put it.
  9. I had a dog die b/c someone dumped antifreeze in the alley.... grrrr!!!
  10. Ibuprofen is also toxic to dogs. It's a good idea to check with your veterinarian before giving ANY human meds to dogs, to make sure it's okay and also to check on the dosage instructions, and it's important to keep ALL medication safely out of reach, even if it's the dog's own medicine.
  11. Great article! Thanks for posting :smile:

    I am especially happy that Tylenol was included on the list...it is AMAZING how many people give that to their dogs :sad:
  12. Also don't forget snail poison, dogs are attracted it to it like candy. Grapes and raisans are poison to dogs too.
  13. I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know that grapes were poienous to dogs :wtf:!!! Thanks for posting, this is need-to-know infomation.
  14. Also onions and garlic! There is a long list of food that dogs cannot eat.
  15. Thank you for starting this thread. My new pup in 4 weeks away from coming home and I will now be super armed with info to keep her safe!