10 000 Steps

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'm wondering how long 10 000 steps would take, walking moderately-fast, on average? Instead of buying a pedometer, I just wondered how long on average would it take.

2. I'm going to start this challenge for myself to lose some weight. Right now I walk at least 30 minutes a day, but I want to aim for 10 000 just to see if I notice results.

Thanks!

3. There are 2000 steps in 1 mile. So you need to walk about 5 miles every day on average. Walking moderately fast, you should be able to do that in about 90 minutes or so.

4. #4 Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    You might see results, but it's gonna take a few months.

The key to losing weight is to burn more calories than you take in. In order to help with that, raising your HR will burn more cals than simply sitting around doing nothing. However, I feel walking 10K steps is a rather ineffient way to burn cals and after a while, given that results take so long to see, people give up on it. I'd at least try to add some interval training 3-4 days a week, and focus on your diet.

5. Charles - I've been trying to go to the gym 3 days/week where I do 30 minutes on the elliptical and 20-30 minutes of strength training. I put all my snacks in little baggies (carrots, cucumber, almonds, dark chocolate, fiber cereal). I just wanted to walk more instead of sitting around...thanks for the help! :biggrin:

6. Yes, 10,000 steps is about 5 miles. If you walk 3.5 miles per hour (17:30 minute mile), it will take you about an hour and a half.

7. Actually, having a pedometer is great motivation! My DH and I used to have them and we'd have friendly "competitions" to see who could get more steps in a day:smile:

8. I had a retail job that required a lot of walking back in forth in a good sized store, a part time restaurant job hostessing, and then would go home & tack on the 2mile walk (i'm short & my stride isn't as long, so 1mile =2500 steps for me)... that usually added up to 10k or more a day. That combined with a healthier diet & occasional light weight training... i lost about 2lbs a week.

too bad i didn't keep it up... :girlsigh:

9. 5 miles, 90 minutes. I do 60 minutes of moderate, with burst of intense, walking and get good results.

10. Sadly pedometers while good in theory, are extremely inaccurate and not a very good way to judge steps.

11. Cut your elliptical time in half and do 15 min of HIIT instead. Remember, efficiency.. ;)

12. ok I'm new to HIIT. I looked it up. :P and was wondering if I just did anything (I was thinking jumping jacks, or jump rope) for a minute, rest for 30 seconds? For how long?

Since walking a lot more (uphill and everywhere) my energy level has increased. :biggrin:

13. Well, you basically want to work towards a specific heart rate (target heart rate which is calculated by 220 - your age). Various HIIT routines will have you at 85% of THR or 105% of THR, so it really just depends. I don't think jumping jacks would get your HR where it needs to be. Sprinting on the elliptical/treadmill/bike should, so should jumping rope.

Start with what you can do, though, then work your way to the goal THR of the routine you think's best. Just a basic HIIT cycle...1 min at 85% THR, then cool down for 30-60 sec. Repeat 4 times..working up to 7-8 cycles. See how that works out for a month.

14. I did this today on the elliptical, and what a difference. I felt like I had a great workout and more sweat is a good sign! I went on for the usual 30 min, and alternated like you said, about 6 times. (I'll keep track next time).

Problem is, the HR detector doesn't work on all of the machine, only some and only sometimes it registers.

I can't afford those that go on your arm, although I'd love one. Should I just go my fastest?