1 Year Lip Surgery Update at Hyundai Aesthetics (Cupid bow, philtrum reduction, smiling lips, lip reduction)

DreamyJeremy

Apr 26, 2013
How I found out about Hyundai Aesthetics was actually through my friend who had his lips done at Dessee with Dr Hong. Dr Hong had really good results with lips and I was so happy to find that he had moved on to Hyundai Aesthetics. I booked an appointment on Kakao to consult and I met with Sky who was the English consultant.

I talked to Sky briefly about the procedures I wanted to get done, which are: Philtrum reduction, Cupid bow lips, Upper lip reduction and Smiling lips. Sky explained to me in detail about the different methods for reducing the philtrum length which includes cutting below the nostrils (bullhorn lip lift) or the vermilion border (gull wing lip lift). I discussed my concerns about lip scarring with Sky and she showed me photos of patients’ recovery and there were no obvious scars. She told me I could easily hide them with BB cream too. Sky told me I didn’t need upper lip reduction because it looked nice already but I feel like guys look better with a slightly thinner upper lips. It was nice to see Hyundai wasn't pushy compared to other clinics and gave her honest opinions.

During my consultation with Dr Hong, he had just come out of surgery and was super busy. He looked at my lips and felt them with his hands and he agreed I should get upper lip reduction if I am getting philtrum reduction for balance. He measured my philtrum length and it was 2cm, he would like it to be 1.6cm so he will reduce it by 4mm. He also showed me how my upper lips will flare even more with the lip lift; Normally this is beneficial for people who show little upper lips, females especially, but for me as my upper lip was thick enough. The good thing was that he could do the cupid bow when reducing my upper lips at the same time. He used a q-tip to push the corner of my lips to show me how the mouth corner lift will look like. He also explained the difference between a female corner lift and male corner lift, male corner lift is less dramatic and is more subtle. He finally drew everything on paper so that I understood the surgery thoroughly. I was so excited for surgery but Dr Hong told me I should wait at least a month for my rhinoplasty to heal. I was glad that even the doctor isn’t pushy about surgeries and is more concerned about the patient’s safety first.

Fast forward to 3 months later, I finally flew to Korea again to do the surgery. Sky sent me a nice little preoperative briefing to let me know of the food and medication to avoid and what to prepare, I thought that was very nice of her. I got to consult with Dr Hong one more time before surgery and I showed him a few pictures of the lips I wanted to go for. He totally understood what I wanted but was unsure if mixing different styles of lips together will create the look I'm going after. In the end, I trusted Dr Hong’s opinion and settled on just one photo for him to follow. He made a few markings on my face before surgery and confirmed with me one more time the surgeries and results that I wanted. I was soon twilight sedated to get the local anesthesia and when I woke up, Dr Hong let me know that he'll be starting the surgery. I was glad to know that it was Dr Hong himself doing the surgery personally and there is no sort of doctor switching or shadow doctors here. He was very gentle and patient and let me know each step what he was doing.

Dr Hong also made sure to ask me during each step whether i was in pain and to ensure i was pain free at all times. The surgery was relatively painless except for the suturing of the corner lift, it stinged a little like botox injections. It was bearable but annoying and I let dr Hong know it stung but he was unable to give me more local anesthesia as it will make me swell even more. He told me to just bear with it and I appreciate his honesty.

During recovery, eating food was relatively painless and easy. It was a little hard putting food in with the gauzes beside my mouth. I would recommend you to move around the first day and avoid sitting still. I was really sleepy so I slept after my surgery and my lips swelled to twice its size, it was really funny to see. I could chew and eat as normal so it was easy compared to other mouth surgeries like genioplasty. I went back frequently for check ups and the nurse would clean my wound and change my gauze and let me know if i’m doing a good job. Sky also recommended me to get some cream to keep my stitches clean and remove dead skin to prevent the stitches from getting buried. Fast forward to removing the stitches, the nurse was really patient and gentle. I was really scared but it didn’t hurt at all and it only stung a little. I could immediately see the results after stitch removal. and I looked so much younger with a shorter philtrum.

1 year later, I am still really happy with the results and impressed that the results are long lasting unlike fillers where you need to keep getting it done. My lips have healed really well with no visible scarring and the cupid bow shape still remains. My lip corners are still pointed upwards even after a year! My philtrum length after surgery stayed the same thankfully as I’ve heard other people’s upper lips slowly drooped and their philtrum lengthens again. Overall, I’m very happy with my results and I would recommend you to check out Dr Hong at Hyundai Aesthetics if you are looking for lip surgeries.

P.S. I no longer check the forums as often anymore so it might be hard for me to reply, if you have any questions ask the group chat or PM Hyundai's Kakao

Some of you PMed me about before/after pictures, so here it is:
Before
KakaoTalk_20210128_160807446.jpg

After

KakaoTalk_20210128_154121947_01.jpg
KakaoTalk_20210128_154121947_04.jpg

Last edited: