1 Day in NYC, Soho, need shopping reco's

pjrufus

Like Buttah!
O.G.
May 13, 2009
Going to NYC 10/8-9, SoHo, Tribeca area. Since I'll only have the 9th for shopping, museums, etc., I don't want to spend too much time in cabs, so I'm planning on walking the area. I've usually stayed in the area between midtown and Central Park, but it's been many years since I've been South.

Any good shopping (or anything else I should check out) recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. I just like to have a loose plan and a short list of places I should try and get to. I hate it when I get home and find out about a great place I missed, and I was probably a block away. The person I'm going with has a business meeting for most of the day Thursday, so I'm on my own.
TPFers are always on top of the best shopping, so thought I'd ask.

Are you looking to buy anything in particular? These are the things I'd be searching for:

1) Vintage/consignment shops (if you don't mind buying used) like Ina and What Goes Around

2) Brands that don't have stores where you're from. Depending on where that is and what brands you love, this may include Topshop, Aritzia, Phillip Lim, Chanel, Burberry, Kiki de Montparnasse, etc.

3) If you like books, Housing Works is a must stop.

4) Look up to see if there are any sample sales going on that day. I dropped by Phillip Lim yesterday, it was a bust for me because I don't love his designs, but the deals were amazing if you like his stuff.

5) Look up at least one good coffeeshop, cafe, or bakery to stop for a bite. There are cupcakes (Magnolia, Georgetown, Sugar Sweet Sunshine, lots of others), John's Pizzeria, Balthazar, Gray Dog, and on into eternity. I'd Yelp it based on your personal preferences.

Are you looking to buy anything in particular? These are the things I'd be searching for:

1) Vintage/consignment shops (if you don't mind buying used) like Ina and What Goes Around

2) Brands that don't have stores where you're from. Depending on where that is and what brands you love, this may include Topshop, Aritzia, Phillip Lim, Chanel, Burberry, Kiki de Montparnasse, etc.

3) If you like books, Housing Works is a must stop.

4) Look up to see if there are any sample sales going on that day. I dropped by Phillip Lim yesterday, it was a bust for me because I don't love his designs, but the deals were amazing if you like his stuff.

5) Look up at least one good coffeeshop, cafe, or bakery to stop for a bite. There are cupcakes (Magnolia, Georgetown, Sugar Sweet Sunshine, lots of others), John's Pizzeria, Balthazar, Gray Dog, and on into eternity. I'd Yelp it based on your personal preferences.

In adition, Sephora is there as well as Intermix & just some other fun stores
Dean & Deluca is always good as well as Olive's & The Mercer is quite
good if that is in your budget.. Space NK, Etro,Prada all down in Soho)

Just walking around & falling into the unexpected .. Balenciaga is also down
there & you may want to go over to the meatpacking area.. Jeffrey & some
really fun stores there too

Have a great time..

Thank you. That's a great help. I think Intermix and Topshop are possibles, because I've never been to either. Although my taste level is Chanel & Balenciaga, my wallet says take it down a notch. I would imagine they get upset when ladies come in and just drool over the merch. I might stroll by anyway. And, I'll look up the other places you mentioned. Dean and Deluca is always fun.

Didn't think about sample sales. Elizabeth & James has one that week. It's uptown a bit, but might be worth venturing out of the immediate area.

I'm not looking or 'needing' anything in particular. My local shopping is pretty much limited to Marshalls and TJ's and even the Runway store an hour away hasn't had much of the good stuff for quite awhile.

When I'm there for 2 or 3 days, I visit at least 1 museum, but for only 1 day it's gotta be shopping!

Edit: Okay, I'm thinking a visit to Bal might be a good idea. Early start on my Xmas wish list.

Last edited:
I loved SoHo for shopping when I was last in NYC. The SoHo TopShop store is huge, and there are a ton of other stores near by. Although the online shop is hte best, Piperlime has a brick & morter there in SoHo, too.

I liked the resale shops, but I found resale in NYC to be expensive/competitively priced, as in I would just rather buy new if those were my options.

Have an awesome trip!

I just knew you all would have great ideas. Thank you again.

Usually my NYC trips are last-minute. This is the first time I've actually had advance tiime to research and plan.

I'm also glad I paid off all the CCs last week, my timing isn't usually that good.

Definitely check out Intermix on Prince Street, especially if you've never been; it's a great mixture of high-end and mid-range designers. Kirna Zabete is another great place to browse (They have a election... Also, Second Time Around is right down the street and is typically worth the trip. great selection of Balenciaga!) since it is so well curated by the owners, and it just a beautiful store in general.

If you're looking to do some thrifting, Ina on Thompson Street is fantastic and always has a pretty good selection.

If you like Balenciaga, definitely stop by the store! It is the only one in NYC, and it is beautiful on the inside. The staff is friendly for the most part; I've had positive experiences all the times I've gone in, both when I was making a purchase and when I was just browsing.

The staff at the Chanel in SoHo does tend to be a bit on the elitist side in my opinion, but it's still worth a visit just to see.

Uniqlo is another great place to stop by; the prices are good, and everything is made well.

Hope you have a great time in NYC! :smile:

If you are a Friends' fan, a limited pop up "Central Perk Cafe" is in Soho, now. Even if you are not a fan, you can have a free coffee there! It's on 199 Lafayette St. at the corner of Broome St. Have a nice Soho time!

Go to the meatpacking district, which has now become the center for a lot of great shopping. It's right next to the High-Line, and there's a great little restaurant right there that his delicious breakfasts. Diane Von Furstenburg has her showroom there along with Tory Burch, Vince, etc.