£1.2million Hermes

Hello!

I came across this page in the Bazaar Magazine in April 2012 issue, page 90. I apologize if this is old news to some of you, but I've never seen anything like this and it's quite interesting. I'm a Kelly lover, so thought I should share this with you all. Here is the article taken from Bazaar...

"The Ultimate Kelly: An It bag that's more than meets the eye

Securing an Hermes Kelly bag had long been a rite of passage for fashion devotees. Now, designer Pierre Hardy has crafted what my be the ultimate luxe version of the iconic accessory---cunning, condensed Kelly rendered in rose gold and diamonds that functions as both handbag and bracelet. The brilliant stone-studded handle doubles as a cuff, while a detachable shoulder strap brings the objet back to bag territory on demand. "It's a very small bag and an enormous jewel," Hardy says. "I wanted to distill all the value of the leather bag onto something small and precious, like the essence of a perfume." The distillation process, in this case, involves 1,200 hours of labor, 1,600 diamonds weighing 33.94 carats, and an elaborate casting technique by which each piece of gold is shaped and polished to achieve the crocodile effect. The compact dazzler is ample enough to conceal a credit card, lipstick, or "perhaps another jewel," he suggests with a laugh."

What do you think? Love it? Don't really love it?

It is hideous and reeks of over-the-top materialism- Hermes has really abandoned its roots as a purveyor of elegant and understated luxury goods.

Strange hybrid between a handbag and jewllery, don't particulary like it as either option. I appreciate h in all it's glory ...when it comes to exotics, I love seeing the real print of a croc skin, bag as a beautiful always proportional but still a bag,piece of jewllery as jewelry....I can't really figure out what it is and how to admire it.

I'm not sure it's art or a statement piece, but as advertising it's priceless!

I would buy a house rather than pay 1 million for bag it's exaggerated

It is hideous and reeks of over-the-top materialism- Hermes has really abandoned its roots as a purveyor of elegant and understated luxury goods.

For the sake of a good dialogue, I would like to humbly defend the multi-million-Kelly. I think that viewing it through the lens of handbag-for-sale is too limiting. By that standard alone yes, it's offputting. As this article states though, Pierre Hardy, the man who thought up the bag, has been overseeing the Hermes jewelry line.

Jewelry is one of the outlets by which a design house can really stretch its creative wings. For example, Tiffany & Co. is often known today for it's quiet-but-iconic sterling silver pieces, this "understated luxury" if you will. If you are a connoisseur of T&Co., you'd spot a Bone Cuff for what it is, just as if you're a connoisseur of H, you'd spot a CDC for what it is.

But before all the sterling, the prestige of T&Co. was built on the shoulders of designers like Paulding Farnham. Do an image search for his work, and you'll see, along with breathtaking brooches, things like silver trays and coffee sets in which their luxury far outstrips their utility. Back in the good 'ol days of world fairs, jewelry houses competed with one another with these types of objets d'art, which were oogled by massive crowds.

Today those creative works are largely kept within the bounds of the jewelry industry itself. When we do see an over-the-top piece now, it's a shock to our system. But I embrace these things as an exercise of human ingenuity rather than an expression of production cost. (How about those Victoria's Secret Fantasy bras that have been celebrated for a decade now?)

My point is that Hardy didn't just phone it in by lasering the Hermes logo onto the girdle of a big fancy orange diamond. Like any of the greats, he started with an iconic inspiration and then did a bejweled interpretation that's so faithful, it actually functions too. Ultimately I think it's a fascinating study in materials and marketing. And if you’re still reading, thank you for your consideration.

For the sake of a good dialogue, I would like to humbly defend the multi-million-Kelly. I think that viewing it through the lens of handbag-for-sale is too limiting. By that standard alone yes, it's offputting. As this article states though, Pierre Hardy, the man who thought up the bag, has been overseeing the Hermes jewelry line.

Jewelry is one of the outlets by which a design house can really stretch its creative wings. For example, Tiffany & Co. is often known today for it's quiet-but-iconic sterling silver pieces, this "understated luxury" if you will. If you are a connoisseur of T&Co., you'd spot a Bone Cuff for what it is, just as if you're a connoisseur of H, you'd spot a CDC for what it is.

But before all the sterling, the prestige of T&Co. was built on the shoulders of designers like Paulding Farnham. Do an image search for his work, and you'll see, along with breathtaking brooches, things like silver trays and coffee sets in which their luxury far outstrips their utility. Back in the good 'ol days of world fairs, jewelry houses competed with one another with these types of objets d'art, which were oogled by massive crowds.

Today those creative works are largely kept within the bounds of the jewelry industry itself. When we do see an over-the-top piece now, it's a shock to our system. But I embrace these things as an exercise of human ingenuity rather than an expression of production cost. (How about those Victoria's Secret Fantasy bras that have been celebrated for a decade now?)

My point is that Hardy didn't just phone it in by lasering the Hermes logo onto the girdle of a big fancy orange diamond. Like any of the greats, he started with an iconic inspiration and then did a bejweled interpretation that's so faithful, it actually functions too. Ultimately I think it's a fascinating study in materials and marketing. And if you’re still reading, thank you for your consideration.

i feel you on this. the same way that out birkins, kellys, lindys, bolides, etc. are much more than the function for which they were created, this bag is much more than a bag.

i feel a lot of the judgement made about this piece is quite similar to the criticism that we receive from people for carrying bags that cost more than cars.

Well thought out post. I was lucky enough to see these jewelry bags in person last week.
Breathtaking and displayed like ART in a guarded museum like setting. The creativity, the attention to detail, the beauty and yet they can be functional. These pieces will tour later this year.

If we based all of our decisions on practicality, none of us would be buying anything at Hermès. :smile: As a bag or jewelry, I agree with most posters here that it misses the mark. As an objet d'art, however, I think it really succeeds. Will anyone "use" it? Sure - they'll buy it and derive enjoyment out of looking at it, as the one in the article is stunningly beautiful. And it's certainly a much better use of diamonds than letting Damien Hirst get his hands on them....

(Just found pix of the other 3. They can be seen here.)
Yes~these are objects of Art really.

I was there at FSH to see the exhibition. The prices seem crazy but they are all look very exquisite and you can see how much work is needed on them.

They have other nice necklaces in the form of a trim bag, a bucket bag and a Kelly bag and YES!!! I'm very drawn to the Kelly bag necklace which costs a whopping €45,000. Comparing to the €1 million bracelets, I think if you have the extra cash to spare, it something not to be missed.

Sorry my eyes went all blingy that I forgot to take pictures.

Managed to find a picture of the Kelly necklace.

I'll definitely trade a croc birkin for this masterpiece.

Attachments

• image-412530292.jpg
    image-412530292.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 146
I agree this is super fabulous art, and transcends categories like handbag and jewelry. I don't see anything wrong with buying this if you have that kind of money.....it will go up in value, so it is a good investment!

They allowed pictures and modeling^ ... I hope you were able to take a few memorable snapshots ;)

Oh my gosh no!
Each piece had two guards several,guards at entrance and two at the back of the room,
they were all under glass in an all black room
each piece had it's own cubicle and special lighting
these are like going to a museum to see jewels

Oh my gosh no!
Each piece had two guards several,guards at entrance and two at the back of the room,

ok sweetie, i was there last week too. wonder if we crossed paths?
i was there with my girls and dh on saturday 24 march...
and they are exquisite.

:tender: Such a wonderful experience, it's like I was transported^
Thank you for sharing!!!

Btw, I HAVE to ask, did you come home w/ any orange boxes dear :graucho:

Oh my gosh no!

ok sweetie, i was there last week too. wonder if we crossed paths?
i was there with my girls and dh on saturday 24 march...
and they are exquisite.
I was there the 27th -2nd
And at FSH on Tues Wed and Thurs March 27,28 and 29 Mostly up in the jewelry area, but I did many swoops through the store~ How fun it would have been to meet you. I was with my DS!