1/2 carat diamond

Jujuma

O.G.
Nov 9, 2009
I inherited a 1/2 carat diamond, it's a ring now with 2 smaller side stones. It's an older mine cut. Usually they don't sparkle much, but this is a higher quality diamond that sparkles like crazy even dirty. I wear 2 dbty everyday, 1 wg 5 stone, 1 yg 7 smaller stones. These I wear almost all the time especially the wg one, I love that one. I also wear a 20" rosegold Helen Ficalora dbty with several charms most days. I was thinking of setting the new diamond in rosegold bezel style to sit in the hollow of my throat. The thing is the jeweler showed me a setting where the chain runs thru the top of the bezel allowing the diamond to slide but more importantly not flip. I could also set it more traditionally. I tend to love rosegold cuz I think it brings the yellow and white together nicely. What do you think? Worth doing or not, too small? Any thoughts on color of gold, in terms of what I already wear or setting style? Thanks for any help.

I think your plan sounds great, just make sure that you're happy with the setting the jeweler is using and that the rose gold is the tone of "rose" you will be happy with.

ame said:
I think your plan sounds great, just make sure that you're happy with the setting the jeweler is using and that the rose gold is the tone of "rose" you will be happy with.

Never thought about that, thanks. I do think the rose fades a little. What do you think about the bezel sliding? Do you think I should just go with the traditional Tiffany style?

I was looking at settings for a half carat solitaire yesterday! I was thinking bezel with the chain either through the back of the bezel or with little 'ears' for the chain to attach to. I didn't want a bale. Then my jewelry guy said the bezel with the chain through the back flips forward, so you can end up with the pendant upside down with the diamond against your skin. So who knows! Rose gold would be so lovely. Half carat is plenty big enough. And if you're wearing it short with other pieces, a simple setting is definitely the way to go.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Still considering options. The project is a little more costly than I thought. I've done a couple of dbty's with spare diamonds but always used chains I had. I didn't realize how much that kept the cost down. Now I have to decide if I want it as a Christmas gift or wait a couple months and do it after Christmas. Decisions decisions.