¼ pound of ground beef
Salt & Pepper
1/4 Cup Chopped fresh Basil
1/2 Tbs. Dried Oregano
1/2 Tbs. Dried Thyme
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
Dash of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
2 (6oz) Cans Tomato Paste
1 Large Can Pureed Tomatoes ( I use 1 (26oz) box Pomi Tomatoes)
About 5 Cups water
3 Tbs. Grated Parmesan Cheese
Spaghetti or Pasta of Choice

Brown the ground beef in the oil until well browned. Add the garlic, onion, and celery and sauté until tender. Add the paste, tomatoes, water and herbs, and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to your own personal taste. Turn mixture down to a simmer, then drop the prepared meatballs into the sauce. Do not stir for the first 15 minutes or so until the meatballs begin to firm up. Continue to cook for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, and adding extra water as needed if the sauce becomes too thick. This sauce, with or without the meatballs can now be used over your pasta of choice.

Meatballs:
1 lb. Ground Beef
1/2 lb. Ground Veal
Salt & Pepper
1 or 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2 Tbs. Fresh Chopped Parsley
2 Tbs. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Egg
1 Cup Soft Bread Crumbs
1/2 Cup Water

Mix all the ingredients together. Shape into golf ball sized balls, and gently drop into the simmering sauce.

Roo This Sounds Absolutely Delicious!!! I Am Not A Red Meat Eater ~ But, My Husband & Son Are!!!

Have You Ever Had The Sauce w/o Ground Beef? Maybe That Would Be Possible & I Could Still Make The Meatballs (If Not, I Can Always Make "My Boys" The Suprise!).

Roo This Sounds Absolutely Delicious!!! I Am Not A Red Meat Eater ~ But, My Husband & Son Are!!!

Have You Ever Had The Sauce w/o Ground Beef? Maybe That Would Be Possible & I Could Still Make The Meatballs (If Not, I Can Always Make "My Boys" The Suprise!).

I have not ever made it without the beef. I think that the beef helps flavor the sauce but it's worth a try without it.

This recipe makes a lot of food, so be prepared for leftovers. The sauce and meatballs are actually BETTER the second day.

I Will Definitely Try Both Ways. When I JustTold My Husband ~ We Need The Beef For Flavor...He Agreed ~ Very Happily!!!

Thank You So Much Roo!!!!! :smile:

I'm planning on trying this recipe next week, and I've got a question. I don't need to cook the meatballs before I place them in the sauce? Just drop them in there raw?

Just want to make sure so I don't make a mistake!!

I'm planning on trying this recipe next week, and I've got a question. I don't need to cook the meatballs before I place them in the sauce? Just drop them in there raw?

Just want to make sure so I don't make a mistake!!

Yes, they go in the sauce raw and then you cook for 2-3 hours.

OMG I tried this recipe yesterday and I tell you..it's fantastic!!:yahoo:

Roo is right, the meat sauce gives more flavor and texture in the sauce!! I floured lightly and brown the meatball first with very small olive oil just because I am so used to cook the meatball first (Sorry for not following recipe 100% Roo..). The meatball tasted so yummy and the whole thing (meatball and the sauce) are just SUPER!!

This recipe is going to be one of my favorites recipes! I am looking forward for more recipes from you Roo! LOL.:P Thanks again!!:yes:

OMG I tried this recipe yesterday and I tell you..it's fantastic!!:yahoo:

Roo is right, the meat sauce gives more flavor and texture in the sauce!! I floured lightly and brown the meatball first with very small olive oil just because I am so used to cook the meatball first (Sorry for not following recipe 100% Roo..). The meatball tasted so yummy and the whole thing (meatball and the sauce) are just SUPER!!

This recipe is going to be one of my favorites recipes! I am looking forward for more recipes from you Roo! LOL.:P Thanks again!!:yes:

Glad you enjoyed it! Some people like their meatballs with a more browned and crispy texture on the outside, so browning them is OK. Also, for those reading, do not worry about the raw meatballs causing health problems in the sauce. If you follow the instructions carefully, the sauce will have just been brought to the boiling point so when you drop the raw meatballs into the sauce the heat will automatically take care of any bacteria that could possibly be an issue. I have made this recipe literally dozens of times and have never had a problem with it. (And neither have any family members)

I'm going to try your technique and recipe for sure. My one pet peeve about making meatballs is the browning process. Mine always turn out square :roflmfao: . This looks like just the trick I need!

I made this last night, and it was delicious!!! I added a little bit of red wine, and a small amount of sugar to the sauce.....just for a little something diferent!! My DH was even impressed.....I felt like I was running an Italian kitchen!!

I made this on Sunday, and it is wonderful! Thank you for the recipe...I might try that red wine trick next time. The left overs make great meatball sandwiches!