Makeup for a women in her 40s/50s

sonya

Feb 23, 2006
I am looking to buy makeup for a women in her late 40s/early 50s. She wants a makeover.

I'm not quite sure what colors would be appropriate for day/for evening?

Is a deep red lip a no-no?

Thank you! :flowers:

Would this be appropriate for day? Or is this a younger look?

P149102_hero.jpg

red_nav_arrow.gif
VIEW ALL PRODUCTS BY Dior
icon_onlyAtSephora.gif
icon_limitedEdition.gif

Angels Wear Dior ($68.50 value)
This must-have collection of Dior beauty essentials is designed to impart halo-soft eyes in shades of barely-there neutrals and heavenly, glowing pink lips.

Set includes Dior 5-Colour Eyeshadow in Incognito 030, DiorKiss in Gloss Pink 168, and a mini DiorShow Mascara in Black.

Are these colors appropriate? Or is this a younger look?

P149102_hero.jpg

red_nav_arrow.gif
icon_onlyAtSephora.gif
icon_limitedEdition.gif

This must-have collection of Dior beauty essentials is designed to impart halo-soft eyes in shades of barely-there neutrals and heavenly, glowing pink lips.

Set includes Dior 5-Colour Eyeshadow in Incognito 030, DiorKiss in Gloss Pink 168, and a mini DiorShow Mascara in Black.

^^ I think those Dior colors are very verasatile and neutral, appropriate for any age group! Great for daytime especially.

As far as deep red lips, this depends on her coloring as well as age. In general, IMO, our makeup should soften as we age, hair gets grey, skintone may not be as glowing, etc. Something like a deep red but softer would be most approrpriate.

My grandmother had a Snow White look when she was younger - porcelain skin and jet black hair. She wore true red lipstick and looked stunning. As she got older, she still liked strong lipstick but softened it to a deep muted pink (not sure of the exact shade) and it looked great.

Are these colors appropriate? Or is this a younger look?

P149102_hero.jpg

red_nav_arrow.gif
icon_onlyAtSephora.gif
icon_limitedEdition.gif

I think these look perfect for a natural look for any age group, too. :yes:

I think many more mature women would find a natural, light to medium lip colour more flattering than a very vivid, deep colour, like red.

However, if this lady has a darker, or olive skin-tone and full, nicely shaped lips, she could probably still carry it off. :yes:

Red lipstick can be a nightmare for any woman over 30. Our lips start to get those tiny feather lines that lipstick just loooooves to run into. Bad look!! I miss red lipstick, but then I miss my LIPS too. One of the joys of being 51: your lips begin to disintegrate. :hysteric:

The most important things with makeup on we old farts is to steer clear of frosted eyeshadow and lipstick/lipgloss. Matte finishes don't accent our crinkles like frosted do. I'm not a foundation wearer, so I may have this backwards, but older women need water based foundations over oil based foundations. The water based doesn't pool into the fine lines like the oil based products. I prefer to use a powder foundation that takes care of uneven skin, gives me a base for my shadow/blush but doesn't gunk up my skin.

Finally, go easy on the blush. Nothing looks worse than women my age with too much blush or too dark a color blush. :yucky:

Hope that helps.

Red lipstick can be a nightmare for any woman over 30. Our lips start to get those tiny feather lines that lipstick just loooooves to run into. Bad look!! I miss red lipstick, but then I miss my LIPS too. One of the joys of being 51: your lips begin to disintegrate. :hysteric:

The most important things with makeup on we old farts is to steer clear of frosted eyeshadow and lipstick/lipgloss. Matte finishes don't accent our crinkles like frosted do. I'm not a foundation wearer, so I may have this backwards, but older women need water based foundations over oil based foundations. The water based doesn't pool into the fine lines like the oil based products. I prefer to use a powder foundation that takes care of uneven skin, gives me a base for my shadow/blush but doesn't gunk up my skin.

Finally, go easy on the blush. Nothing looks worse than women my age with too much blush or too dark a color blush. :yucky:

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much. :flowers:

What colors in eyeshadow and lipstick do you wear?

^^^I normally stick with a cocoa brown eyeshadow, but I recently found a nice aubergine color that I like to use just on the lid and as a light eyeliner under my lower lashes. I have blue eyes and that color really makes the blue pop! When I use the aubergine, I stop at the crease and blend a light brown at the crease and just up the rest of my eyelid otherwise I look sickly! I always hit the underbrow area with a touch of vanilla shadow. Perks up the eyes, but I imagine you know that little trick.

The best lipcolor for my skin tone is a rosy mauve color. I use Fran Wilson's Mood Pearl lipstick in Passion. It's not my favorite color, but it is literally the only lip color I have found that will last on my lips (I'm a habitual lip chewer and water drinker so nothing else stays put!). It goes on a nice mauve color, but as it wears off (quickly in my case) it becomes a bit too bright a pink color. I tone it back down with a neutral lipgloss though. Works pretty well.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, fire away. :flowers:

For a 40s-50 year old lady, I would recommend using stuff that are more nourishing to the skin. Products that I will recommend:
Face base: Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base
Face: Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer SPF15 (this can be used even if you're 15!!)
Face powder: SKII Cream Foundation (very creamy and nourishing)
Blush: Clarins Bronzing Duo
Eye make-up: MAC and Shu Uemura have got some gorgeous make up palettes.
Mascara: undoubtedly Shu uemura, lancome or YSL
Concealers: Dior Skinflash or YSL Touche Eclat
Lippies: Lancome Le Rouge or Chanel

Hope these helps!!

Thank you. So the general advice is neutral colors? Brown eyeshadows and mauve lipsticks?

What should she emphasize? Eyes? Her lips are a bit thin....

Is there a way to plump up the lips without looking silly?

Are there websites or just pictures I could look at to study? It seems like everything I see suitable for younger women....

Thanks!

So the general advice is neutral colors?
Not necessarily, but nothing TOO bright. As I mentioned, I use an aubergine color eyeshadow that works well b/c I have blue eyes.

Brown eyeshadows and mauve lipsticks?
That would depend on the woman's coloring and features.

What should she emphasize? Eyes? Her lips are a bit thin....
Lips are tricky when you hit a certain age. Not having seen her face, I'd say keep the lip a medium rosy tone or natural tone with a hint of color. And NO FROSTED LIPSTICK!! Makes the wrinkles show that much more. Gloss is nice, but you have to be careful that it isn't the kind that bleeds into the feathering around the mouth.

Is there a way to plump up the lips without looking silly?
I hate to argue with an entire industry, but no: you can't plump up lips (unless you pump them full of collagen!). The best way I've seen to make them "appear" fuller is to use a very light shade of lipstick right in the center of both lips and a darker shade on the rest of the lips (start with the darker shade and then add the light shade). The light reflects off the light color in the mid-mouth and does give an illusion of fullness.

Are there websites or just pictures I could look at to study? It seems like everything I see suitable for younger women....
I'm not sure how helpful any of those sites are for any age women since they ALWAYS airbrush the women to perfection.

I remembered this pic and thought it might give you some ideas. Hope it helps.

Unfortunately, it's a bit fuzzy, but here's me back in January with pretty much the full contingent of my "usual" makeup routine. If I'm going out for to the symphony or a nice dinner, I smoke up the eyes a good bit more and go with a touch more color on the lips since the lighting in those places tends to be muted.

Attachments

• fifty&fab2.jpg
    fifty&fab2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,023