Seller deliberately shipping late?!

telicious

Mar 16, 2007
I bought a handbag off eBay a bout 2 weeks ago and couldn't pay until today. I informed the seller about this delay right after I won the auction about this and said everything was fine as long as I was going to pay.

So I just paid today and about an hour later got this nasty email from the seller saying that because I made them wait 2 week for payment that s/he is going to ship out in 2 weeks!

WTF?! A complete 180, do we have another nutcase here or what?
I know it's partially my fault for paying late, but I had a legitimate reason and the seller seemed to understand at the time.

What on earth is going on with people these days?! :confused1:

Well IMO you shouldn't have bought a bag that you couldn't pay for until two weeks later. Esp. if you won the auction and then told her you couldn't pay for two weeks. I think the seller has every right to be upset with you, but don't know if she has a case about waiting to ship for two weeks because you took two weeks to pay. Sellers are supposed to send out the item within 7 days of payment to be covered by PP. Maybe you should tell her that.
And at the risk of a lecture, maybe you shouldn't buy anything else on ebay that you can't afford - unless you have the money at the time? I mean sellers are selling on ebay to make money, not coddle buyers who are lacking in funds. You wouldn't be able to walk into a store and say "I want to buy this but I can't pay for two weeks." Unless you already signed up for a charge account with them or something, or they had a layaway plan..you just couldn't do that.:idea:
If there is another explanation about the delay, maybe you could post it?

Yeah, remind your seller that for seller protection it would be in her best interest to ship within seven days.

What your seller did was WRONG...but...what you did was equally wrong. Buyers have 7 days to pay...don't bid if you can't pay within that time frame IMO.

LOL mmmsc...great minds think alike.

I understand where you're coming from but the reason why I could not pay the seller immediately was not due to a lack of funds. I personally would never even consider buying anything if I didn't have the money, that's just wrong IMO. The seller seemed agreeable to it at the time so I didn't expect this huge response.

It's nice she understood at first, most wouldn't be so forgiving. I would have at least asked her before the auction ended if that was okay. I believe your suppose to pay within three days or 10 days, something like that and if you don't she could have filed a NPB and relisted it. She didn't but for whatever reason is upset now and wants to annoy you. Under pp rules she has to ship it but, she bent them for you.

Maybe you should just live with it and next time don't bid on something you can't afford to pay within the allotted time. *shrug*

Again, it's not that I couldn't afford to pay. I had some kinks to work out with my credit card, PP limit, etc. etc. Although PP's policy is questionable from the seller's point of view. I mean, if the buyer doesn't pay after this time frame, then they are automatically not covered?

Anyway, lesson learned!
Don't use a brand new credit card for the first time on PP before knowing whether or not it worked for sure! :yes:

Thanks for your honesty ladies!

Again, it's not that I couldn't afford to pay. I had some kinks to work out with my credit card, PP limit, etc. etc. Although PP's policy is questionable from the seller's point of view. I mean, if the buyer doesn't pay after this time frame, then they are automatically not covered?

Anyway, lesson learned!
Don't use a brand new credit card for the first time on PP before knowing whether or not it worked for sure! :yes:

Thanks for your honesty ladies!
Nevertheless, get your PP account worked out BEFORE you buy on ebay instead of AFTER winning the auction!!!! It sounds like you made an honest mistake here, but it is annoying for sellers to have to wait even a week to get paid (the ebay time frame you have to pay before a seller can file and relist, which is a HUGE pain, is 7 days), much less 2 weeks!:wlae:
I had someone win my $1K+ bag auction, outbidding a lot of others, and then after she won she says, "I am about $150 short in my PP account and it will take a week to transfer funds from my bank acct to PP. " I was furious but what could I do? I say in my auction that payment is due within 48 hours of auction ending. Of course ebay will not do anything until 7 days has passed and the person hasn't paid, but still... common courtesy. I think that is why a lot of sellers have buy it now with instant payment required.

Last edited:
IMO the tone seems a bit nasty.
Yes a person should make sure they have enough funds and that their Paypal account is in order, but sometimes crap happens. IMO the seller shouldn't have agreed to the delay only to be crappy and retaliate now.

IMO the seller never should have agreed to waiting the 2 weeks.

You aren't covered by buyer protection if you pay outside the week.
Seller isn't covered by seller protection is they ship more than a week after payment.

It is one thing if the seller was going on vacation and your late payment screwed up her shipping/selling schedule, but she didn't say that was the case. IMO the seller was rude and nasty.

When you leave feedback you will be asked to leave stars. You seller should know better than to treat you that way for fear of lowered ratings.

I have had several NPBs lately and I have to wait 7 days before I can file a NPB with Ebay. (I am always friendly as I understand that life happens regardless how well you usually plan.) Then, they still seem to have at least 7 days from filing NPB to pay....this is 14 days that I feel forced to wait for a payment before relisting for fear of getting a negative feedback. One recently took 2 weeks to pay, I sent her item within 24 hours of receiving pmt,she had it in hand within 4 days and she leaves me feedback saying 'shipping was a little slow'. WTH! Everything seems to get crazy but if everyone could just be polite and communicate......then it should be able to stay fun and friendly.

I have had several NPBs lately and I have to wait 7 days before I can file a NPB with Ebay. (I am always friendly as I understand that life happens regardless how well you usually plan.) Then, they still seem to have at least 7 days from filing NPB to pay....this is 14 days that I feel forced to wait for a payment before relisting for fear of getting a negative feedback. One recently took 2 weeks to pay, I sent her item within 24 hours of receiving pmt,she had it in hand within 4 days and she leaves me feedback saying 'shipping was a little slow'. WTH! Everything seems to get crazy but if everyone could just be polite and communicate......then it should be able to stay fun and friendly.

That is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

authenticplease - maybe she expected it to be sent by transporter, ala Star Trek??

Telicious - I can understand that the seller would be annoyed at having to wait two weeks for payment. But on the other hand, if they had a problem, they should have told you as soon as you mentioned it, rather than saying it was fine.