What is the best HH Satchel Bag

Jul 4, 2007
I mostly carry satchel bags (in hand or over the arm) yet my first two purchases were shoulder bags. What do all of you think is the best satchel bag? I like bags that have pockets and the lighter the better.
Thanks.

cho..ITA about the Mercer..I love mine..but what about some of the Gaza's? I only own one in canvas and leather but I can carry it in my hand, on the crook of my arm and over my shoulder. I know you love yours so I am asking not only for handbag*girl but for myself as well? TIA.

Last edited:
I prefer satchels and have to admit I shortened my havana's straps to allow me to carry it on my arm. I find I can carry comfortably a heavier handbag on my arm than I can on my shoulder.

My favorite HH satchel is a close tie between the Trophy and the Beatrice. But, then my favorite satchel silhouette is a bowler bag. Do you prefer those or the east-west rectangular satchels (such as the Mercer satchel)?

Both the Trophy and the Bea have just enough drop to wear on the shoulder when needed, but short enough to make a great arm bag. I like the Beatrices because they feel like a tapestry carpet bag when carried on the arm. In the older ones, I like my Dominique satchel. It is elegant as an arm bag. So is the Suki ladybag.

Hey GB..
Welcome Back..
I had the Gaza Hobo.. that can be carried on your arm, but the shape seems to warrant it on the shoulder IMO..
I now have the Gaza Satchel and the drop on this line is larger?/longer? than on the Mercer... The Gaza Satchel fits great over a winter coat and it is a LARGE bag...
So, that is why I chose the Mercer Satchel as the Best for arm..

Hey GB..
Welcome Back..
I had the Gaza Hobo.. that can be carried on your arm, but the shape seems to warrant it on the shoulder IMO..
I now have the Gaza Satchel and the drop on this line is larger?/longer? than on the Mercer... The Gaza Satchel fits great over a winter coat and it is a LARGE bag...
So, that is why I chose the Mercer Satchel as the Best for arm..

Thanks cho..for the welcome back and for the input.:smile: ITA about the Mercer..but some people might think it's a bit small for a satchel..my bags seem to be getting larger and larger..and now I look at what I used to think was humungous and it looks like a minaudiere..or an HH carryall..is it a matter of perspeective?

I know I couldn't carry off (or carry) some of the amazing bags that RealMcCoy mentions above and even though I love them I would look like I am lugging a duffel bag or overnighter. (IE the PM bouton d'or satchel that I lusted after...and finally obtained and I don't use it because it wound up being way HUGE for me to carry as a satchel and the wrong shape for my purposes).:nuts:

I like the bowler style better than east west I think...
Does anyone have the trophy in Violet Patent. It looks so pretty.

handbag*girl ...how tall are you and how large a bag are you comfortable toting on your arm or in your hand? This would make a difference in advice you are getting..and the VCP is TDF..I missed out on every Trophy in any Crinkle patent and am beating myself about the head a bit..LOL

I am 5'5 and 135 lbs.
I LOVE big bags but can't carry shoulder bags everyday anymore due to a back problem. I started carrying satchels and this works much better for everyday but I still need to be careful about weight.

I am 5'5 and 135 lbs.
I LOVE big bags but can't carry shoulder bags everyday anymore due to a back problem. I started carrying satchels and this works much better for everyday but I still need to be careful about weight.

Well...HBG...the Mercer satchel is out of production but you can find them on evilbay..but it isn't a BIG bag..and lacks a certain pizzazz IMHO..and the open sides make it hard to store much stuff without losing it..because they close with magnetic closures and if you drop it or fling it into the passenger seat they open.

The Trophy might be a better choice because of the outside pockets..the amazing trapunto stitching really makes it special...and it's not too heavy..I got one in Black Zeus before it really went on sale at a deep discount..:crybaby:and to be honest..I don't like it in that color as much as I would have the others...so it may not stay with me but I'm 5' 1" and it doesn't dwarf me at all..I think this may be one of the bags you should consider.

I think it would really help you decide if you would look at some of the reference threads, and read the comments, pros and cons, they really do help me a lot as do the photos of HHHotties modeling. Much better than anything you will see on the HH site..trust me on this one..I made some serious mistakes until I began to look at these threads and posts.

I hope this has helped a bit. I'll try to think of others too.

XOXO gingey

I too am a satchel gal....the "best" from years ago, Dominique Satchel.
Hand or shoulder carry.
Medium size.
Lambskin, lighweight.

MY DREAM bag would be this bag w/added enhancements.....

Sorry, there are zippo to be found....just needed to give her some luv!