USPS delayed tracking?

Girls.. if you have packages "missing".. as in never showed that item was received by PO and mailed OR item never shows being delivered... call the 800# on USPS.COM and ask them to please investigate.
I had a bag that I sent USPS EXPRESS INTL to the UK. Took it to the PO myself, got an express label and a customs form label. Customs form label never updated. Express label did. SO... 2 days later, express label shows DELIVERED in Colorado. OMG. Buyer fainted.
I called USPS & started an investigation. They say they will call you back.. they do not. BUT.. a couple days later the CUSTOMS label # tracking shows up and everntually the bag did get delivered in the UK. Express mail label STILL says that the package was delivered in CO.
If your package is MIA, or the tracking info looks wrong, call and start an investigation.
And yes, even if it did not get scanned, it still may get delivered. CALL USPS.

Good info and thank you so much for the phone number. I tried calling a number on USPS and couldn't get through to talk to a person. It was all automated and nothing giving me the option to investigate. (Funny your package that was to go to the UK said it went to Colorado, that is where I am from. What is up with Colo? Oh my gosh, I want real people doing things like it used to be. Machines can't do everything right either.

At least yours says it was scanned in? Even though it doesn't say it was delivered, isn't the issue out of your hands since you gave it to USPS? I thought that sellers weren't responsible for items once they go to USPS?

One package that was just lost, was scanned the other two don't show up as being scanned and neither one has been received yet by my buyer who is only 20 miles from me. He wouldn't let me deliver the packages to save him the postage, so I now have sent them twice. I told him I won't mail anything else to him. My husband can deliver the item.

It is probably out of your hands once it gets to the post office, but as a seller in good faith, I try to do everything I can to make sure the buyer gets his or her item. I always feel that is what I would appreciate. For my items, they weren't insured. Why pay $2 insurance for an item that cost $7. So I just have been resending. For now on I will list in my listing that insurance is reccomended and that if lost I can't be liable if you are not willing to spend the little bit more for insurance. I would never send anything over $50 uninsured. Even at that, trying to collect that from the PO is grooling. Be sure to save your insurance receipts for your buyers as either you or they have to fill out the paper work.

Do please let us know if you have success in the shipment. My buyers are going to end up with multiples, as I have been resending them items.

Its Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday....no one at USPS is working! Argggghhhh.....I dont want to wait to deal with this! Neither should you Umimaddicted!

The last 3 weeks have been a big hassle for me with Ebay, PayPal and now the Post office. I am also waiting with baited breath for Tuesday to come so I can check into it. It is odd because, I have been selling and buying for over 10 years and this is the first ever of lost packages. All in the time period of 3 weeks. I really feel sorry for what you are going through. I know I would be also if it was one of my beloved bags that I had sold.......You can scream to me, I know how you must feel.

Good info and thank you so much for the phone number. I tried calling a number on USPS and couldn't get through to talk to a person. It was all automated and nothing giving me the option to investigate. (Funny your package that was to go to the UK said it went to Colorado, that is where I am from. What is up with Colo? Oh my gosh, I want real people doing things like it used to be. Machines can't do everything right either.
Yes.. you will have to get thru all that automated garbage, but there is at some point an opportunity to talk to a live person. And they will try to help.
Good luck.. and does lose help. Just because it was not scanned and/or the scanning is not updating, does not mean 4-ever lost.

RELAX!!!

If you print with paypal, with delivery confirmation, the only time the PO is required to scan is UPON DELIVERY. That is why printing postage on Paypal is cheaper.

But if you printed out a scan sheet, USPS will scan it when you drop it off at the PO.

I checked the tracking info today and its still the same. I called the post office and gave them the tracking info. The lady on the phone told me that her tracking info said that the item was received by the post office and that the expected delivery date is today. I asked her how she could have different tracking info than me, and she didn't have an answer. We double checked the tracking numbers also. Weird!
I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I sold an item on Ebay. The next day, 2/12/09, I made the USPS shipping label through paypal and then dropped of the box at the post office 20 minutes later.
I checked the online tracking of the package to make sure it was en route, and this is the message I got:
The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 12, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I am now worried because I dropped off the package on Thursday and it is still not showing up in the tracking...today is Sunday!

Tomorrow is a holiday, so I guess the only thing I can do is wait until Tuesday to go back to the post office and figure out what is going on?

Has this happened to anyone else?

What time did you mail it on Thursday and what method?

If it was Priority it should have been delivered Sat. but could be delivered today. If it was parcel you have a way to go.

I would say wait until tonight to see if the package shows delivered today.

Keep in mind, it is not tracking it is delivery confirmation. So, sometimes you have many packages that show nothing until it is delivered.

I shipped the bag priority, it still hasn't reached its destination. I called my local post office AGAIN and they told me that I should wait at least 21 days before making a claim and that its possible the package was delayed because of presidents day.

About standing in line and watching them scan in your package....I had to send out another package yesterday. I stood in line so that i could hand it in and watch them scan it. The guy just took the package from me and tossed it in a bin. I asked him if I could get a receipt saying that i had dropped off the package or if he could scan it infront of me. He said, "We don't do that."
Serious?? They don't do that??

I have a similar situation here. But I'm the buyer in my case.

My seller shipped out a priority parcel on Feb 13 before the long weekend, and the parcel didn't leave the U.S. until this Tuesday, the 17th. And it took 2 days from the U.S. to Canada - the parcel reached Vancouver on 19th. And today there is no further updated info...I'm afraid I will not get my parcel until next Monday or even Tuesday. That's just kind of ridiculous. At this point I hate weekend.

This is different. I think she was talking about it showing up as a shipment being started, the label being made but that it hadn't been recorded by USPS. It says:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 13, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

This means that USPS hasn't any receipt for the package yet. They haven't scanned it in yet. One of mine has been over a week and it is only going 20 miles away from me.

I shipped something via USPS on Wednesday and it still has the same message with 2/18 as the date!

I don't understand how it could not have been scanned when it was accepted because I actually went to my post office and hand delivered to the counter, cuz I had to go there to ship something else anyway.

I am worried as to what will happen if the package never got scanned but delivered or scanned at delivery?

What if there is a problem with the bar code? I was shipping a small package and noticed that this time my paypal label printed out smaller than usual about 1/2 the size with all the same info, so I don't know if that is why it can't get scanned. I didn't think it was a problem and thought maybe they did that to make sure the label would fit my small box nicely.

I shipped my package with insurance and delivery confirmation and printed the label with paypal! I am trying not to panic and am hoping that I won't get scammed by the buyer!

Last edited: