Should I quit my job if it's affecting my studies?

sabbiee_co

Mar 4, 2008
I recently started a part-time front office job and after four 8 hour shifts, I am thinking of quitting.

I was looking forward to the job because people have told me that the work environment was very good and supportive of students but that was before the new manager who is very disorganized and unprofessional.

I never got any training about the system that they have in their office. It's quite simple actually, just scheduling appointments, dealing with walk-ins, and issuing checks if needed. However, I needed an ID and password for all those and he never gave me mine and he went on his lunch. I was so embarrassed! When he got back, he already assumed that I had training even though I explicitly told him I missed training due to classes.

He also cannot understand that I have school. He has already called me thrice asking me to work even though I have stated on my availability that I cannot work those days. His excuse is that I can get paid for my job (pretty well too) and it would only be for a few hours (during a manager's meeting) and I can still make it to the rest of my classes and just miss one. I'm like :wtf::wtf::wtf: Uhm... I am on scholarship. No.

Lastly, his scheduling absolutely sucks. He gives me my schedule like three days before. Is this normal for part time office work? I have worked in retail extensively and never have I experienced not knowing my schedule at least two weeks beforehand. I cannot be on-call because I have classes and need to schedule my time accordingly for homework and studying for exams and writing papers. I am graduating in two semesters and will not jeopardize my scholarship.

Should I leave this job? I feel bad because they are shorthanded right now (a lot of previous part-timers quit because of this manager) and this job does look good for my resume esp. in my field. It is also an established firm that stresses promoting from within. However, I feel like the job will just stress me out too much and ruin my studying schedule with his lack of preparedness. I am near the finish line with a great possibility of graduating with honors if I maintain my GPA.

I am not in any financial worries. My parents support me while going to school, I just like having a job so I don't ask them for $$$ so much and I can get started on my savings and support my splurges. I got the scholarship for academic merit and not due to lack of finances.

Should I leave this job? Help!

Yes.. I'm telling you this from experience. I tried to work and maintain a job for about three years until I came to the realization that my job was totally affecting my school work.
I hear about many stories of people handling FULL TIME jobs and going to school FULL TIME and still pulling A's all the way through, but unless you're super human chances are you're not like that. You said you're very close to graduating with honors which would be great, I think you should focus on your school and worry about getting a job when you graduate (that would be a career actually.)
Here are three reasons why you should quit:
1. I've done it and it's very hard to maintain both work and school, you'll become less motivated when it comes to studying and your priorities might slowly change.
2. You don't need it financially. There are many people that would kill for parents like yours and would quit their jobs without thinking twice if they had the opportunity to be put through school so take advantage of having that. Plus the more money you get the more money you get used to spending and soon that money you get won't be enough.
3. You just started working there and your manager is already harrassing you and trying to get you to ditch classes to come work. You can only imagine what will happen when they get used to you. I mean there has to be a reason why all these people quit. If the manager hired you approving your availability and you made it clear to them that you have school on certain days then he/she should really respect that.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I worked 30+ hours per week while going to school full-time, but it only works if you have an understanding workplace who knows what your schedule is and doesn't expect the world out of you. My job was great and only scheduled me during days when I didn't have classes or on weekends, and then asked me to work extra only when I was on spring break, summer break, etc. I never got hassled to come into work when I had classes and were really understanding about finals week and me going on job interviews during my senior year.

My suggestion is to find a different job that has more experience with hiring college students part-time.

I would schedule a meeting with this man before quitting. Share your concerns. Stress that you really want to work there, but that you're unwilling to jeopardize your school work and that you need to know your schedule ahead of time (for example, getting a schedule on Friday for the next week). Give him a printed schedule of your classes (even if he already has one) and tell him your schedule of classes is set in stone. Remain firm, and if he's unwilling to compromise then bow out gracefully. Tell him you're sorry, but it's more important for you to finish college than to work in an environment like that.

However, if he seems receptive to your requests, then it might be a good idea to stick it out. It looks good to have job experience while you're in college, whether you need it financially or not. But you have to make sure that if he agrees to your terms, that he sticks to it. You know the man and your work situation best, so you'll have to make that judgment call. Good luck!

I am working and going to school also. I had my manager cut my hours from 35 plus down to 25 or less since this is my first year and I'm not used to working and studying I haven't done that in 9 years. I did notice a drop in my grades after my first test and that's when I asked for less hours. Luckily where I work half the staff is in college and plays on the baseball and basketball team so she schedules us when we can work which for me is the weekends or mid shifts like 3-9 or 2-10.
I would talk to the manager and explain that you can't work while your in school that it is affecting your grades and study time. I would also look for a job that is willing to work with your school schedule. Good luck!!!

...I feel bad because they are shorthanded right now [that's not your problem, BTW, if they had too many people they would lay you off without a second thought, not caring that you have bills, etc.] (a lot of previous part-timers quit because of this manager) and this job does look good for my resume esp. in my field. It is also an established firm that stresses promoting from within. However, I feel like the job will just stress me out too much and ruin my studying schedule with his lack of preparedness. I am near the finish line with a great possibility of graduating with honors if I maintain my GPA.

I am not in any financial worries. My parents support me while going to school,
I just like having a job so I don't ask them for $$$ so much and I can get started on my savings and support my splurges. I got the scholarship for academic merit and not due to lack of finances.

Should I leave this job? Help!

Looks like you already know the answer, my friend...

If your parents are supporting you while you're in school, you shouldn't worry about having a job. If you really want your own money you can get a retail job a couple days a week. You can then spend your free time volunteering or doing an internship that will give you much better experience for your resume than your current office job.

Yes, I think you should quit..or maybe talk to your supervisor/manager. I work part time at an office as well, but it was understood when i first got hired that I was a student and had a busy schedule. They only scheduled me when I didn't have class and were very flexible if I couldnt' come into work. I am still there to this day after 1 year and a half. I too got a new supervisor, but I explained to him my situation and he understood. You should definately talk to your supervisor first because I know that the extra cash is really helpful especially if you are a student but if it's affecting your studies, you should definately re-consider. If your manager/supervisor still doesn't understand, you should tell him that it's affecting your school work and it's hard for you to juggle both. I agree with IamASadGiraffe when she said you need a supportive work place in order to juggle school and work. I would talk to your supervisor first before quitting to see if anything will change. If not, just leave. You can always find another job that will understand a student's schedule!

I didn't read your whole post, but just from your thread title- the answer is yes.

And I agree with most everything the others have said.

(This is coming from experience...going to grad school, working for the school and working another part time job where the management wanted to schedule me whenever they wanted- I ended up leaving that job. So yes, leave before you start having extreme anxiety, especially if you have the support of your parents. I would just try and get a paying internship, that will get you far in life and you can get school credit at the same time- depending on how your school works.)

Best of Luck!

School is always more important. In all my years of working and being a student I have NEVER been asked to miss a class for work. I have only missed class by choice. At the end of the day, that job is NOT going to be your future. Your education is your future and requires all the time in the world. If this job is requesting such things from you then it seems they aren't very understanding at all. I don't think a paycheck is worth your GPA and your studies.