Housetraining....... HELP!!

A couple of important easy things are to get your puppy on a feeding and walking schedule. If they always go out at the same time their bodies get on a schedule. Try to keep him (her?) in a confined space where you can keep an eye on him so as soon as something happens you can say "no" and quickly take them outside. I don't think keeping them in a crate is a good idea, but many people think this makes training easier. Scold for the bad things but don't go overboard. Most dogs like seeing their owners happy and will respond. Most important, be consistent! Read from a few reliable web sites to get some ideas that will work best for you and your lifestyle. This may help for a start:
Housebreaking a Dog or Puppy
Good luck!

I am a huge fan of crate training.

I have four dogs (OMG) and each ones loves their own space to retreat
to during the day, whatever.

But it also makes potty training a breeze! OnyxBear, I totally agree: a
routine is very helpful!!!

If you feed and water your puppy, then play with him or her for 15 min,
and then show pup the right spot to use for potty.

If no potty, then very calmly put in crate for 15-20 min. Take pup out,
play a bit, try the potty again. Repeat as needed.

This should help pup understand where it is ok to potty and by default
everything else is off limits.

Thanks girls! You dont think being 8 months old and full size is too old to kennel train. By the way she is a Shih Tzu, and a stubborn one at that. I just adore her though.

No dog is too stubborn or too old for crate training, or any other basic training. For boys especially breaking a habit will be tough no doubt, but its always doable with enough patience.

Crate training works well for many people. I should have added that I did keep both my dogs in crates overnight when I was housebreaking, just not during the day. My dogs are working dogs and very active. Some dogs can get frustrated (and destructive) in crates, but different things work best for different dogs. Do you have a photo of your puppy?

We crate-trained both of our dogs; Snowball (the girl) took longer to crate-train than Colbert, our boy. Keep the dog on a consistant feeding and walking schedule, as another poster has already recommended, and your dog should be house-broken in no time. We didn't know about the feeding schedule with the girl, and would let her eat anytime she felt like it, which led to her eating late at night and having to go to the bathroom at 3 am.

I think that if she's outside all the time she gets the idea that she can do her business whenever it suits her. Once she's housebroken it's okay, but until then she needs a little structure so she understands when and where she can go.

Crate training works well for many people. I should have added that I did keep both my dogs in crates overnight when I was housebreaking, just not during the day. My dogs are working dogs and very active. Some dogs can get frustrated (and destructive) in crates, but different things work best for different dogs. Do you have a photo of your puppy?

Im going to start tonight! Thanks so very much!! Heres my sweetie:love:

Attachments

• DSC03605.JPG
    DSC03605.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC03610.JPG
    DSC03610.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC03612.JPG
    DSC03612.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 39
The reasoning behind crate training is not to confine the dog or heaven FORBID, to punish it. Dogs instinctively do not want to soil their sleeping space, so when they are tucked in their crates, nature tells them not to pee/poop unless they just can't hold it any longer. That's why the schedule hmwe46 outlined is so important. By taking the puppy out of the crate and following the routine, they are given the opportunity to pee/poop outside while not suffering the torture of soiling their beds.

Finally never, EVER scold a dog when it has an accident in the house. Your dog doesn't want to go inside any more than you want it too. She, above all, wants to please you. When I was training Sam (my adorable fur baby at the left), if he piddled on the floor, I'd very nonchalantly clean it up. I can't believe there was a time when people thought that rubbing a dog's nose in it's excrement was a proper training method!!! :cursing:

Anyway, when I'd take him out and he peed/pooped in the grass, I'd clap, cheer and tell him what a good boy he was. When we got him and were housetraining him, I kept a bag of treats with me and gave him one when he did his business outside. As he began to make the connection that "Oh Boy! When I pee and poop in the grass Mommy is HAPPY!" then I weaned him off the treats and continued the verbal praise. Actually, we STILL tell him he's a good boy when he poops!

He's not peed/pooped in the house since he was 6 months old and he's almost 5 years now.:flowers:

A very good point by posters above - many dogs feel safe in their crate and it's important that they have this safe place, whether it's a crate or a bed or something similar.