Is it a good idea to do local pickup?

uyen114317

Nov 25, 2006
I just sold a high bag and the winner emailed me asking about local pickup. He said he is buying it for his girlfriend for V-Day. He happens to work down the street from my house. I agreed to meet him at a local Nordstrom's here. I am just feeling a little iffy since it is for 800 dollars.

I just have never done a cash transaction before with a local pick up. I am hesitant because he only has 1 feedback, but it is from 2006. Just afraid he might give me counterfeit cash or something bad might happen. We have been exchanging email back and forth since Sunday.

Am I being too paranoid? I am saving almost 80 bucks with paypal fees and shipping, but a little hesitant since is is a lot of money.

If you are nervous, could you take a friend with you?
Would he be able to claim that the item was not received as you would obviously would have no proof of postage?
Don't think he could as he wouldn't have the Paypal protection so I think that should be ok.
I would take a friend with me and ask if he minds you checking the money. I have done local pick ups and collections for expensive items before and there have been no problems at all (so far!!)
I suppose it's how you feel about the buyer really..?

You could meet him at your local bank and deposit the cash directly into your account before you give him the bag. If the money is counterfeit, the teller should be able to spot it.

Also, write up a short receipt stating that he paid $800 and he received the bag on X date and was satisfied with the condition and make him sign and date it.

Just be careful...there are so many weirdos out there. I strongly recommend bringing a friend with you if you do this.

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I am going to bring my bf with me and print out the auction like you ladies suggested.

I will give you guys and updated once I meet up with him.

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I am going to bring my bf with me and print out the auction like you ladies suggested.

I will give you guys and updated once I meet up with him.
Be sure and print out 2 pages of your ebay transaction (1 for him, 1 for you) and that he paid in full and have him sign it. Can you notarize it?. This will be your "receipt" if anything goes wrong. I don't think PP will cover you if you don't have signature confirmation by mail or UPS or FedEx. Meeting at the bank (which also might have a notary on premises) is a good idea. Someone I know once did that for a Rolex that someone bought from her. He brought cash to her bank where she had it verified for non-counterfeit bills, and deposited it right there. Because if they were a real fiend, they (or an accomplice) could hit you over the head on the way out of the bank with all that cash.

I think many people do local pick-up, with craigslist or if they sell a car, furniture etc. it's not too uncommon and I'm sure e-bay has something to help sellers and buyers.

I like the bank idea, it's public and you could tell if it's counterfeit there.

I just picked up something for my mom that she bought on ebay. I met the gentleman in a mall parking lot, and took a guy friend with me. Everything went fine, but she had already paid and there was no money changing hangs, just sewing machine. I think it is a great way to save on shipping as long as both parties feel comfortable with it.

Bring someone w/ you if possible, I have done it a few times on very high end bags too and luckily all were wonderful ladies, and one gent on a VERY expensive watch, I have met all of them in very public places too.

I personally wouldnt, but if you take your bf with you im sure you'll be fine safety wise - i would be more worried about getting short changed, last minute bargaining and fake money......but im a worrier :smile:

I would do it but definetly at the bank.....do you have a location where you know people? My bank has a police officer there during business hours. Also, you can verify the money and deposit it. I would get a signed receipt for acceptance/delivery reasons but since PP is not involved I would not stress about that detail.......

Iam so poed right now. I got off work early to meet this guy up and he never shows up. I am livid and pissed off beyond belief. On top of wasting my time I get in an argument with my SO. I hate ebay I am so done. I left him a nasty email too. Why are people so freaking rude?

Iam so poed right now. I got off work early to meet this guy up and he never shows up. I am livid and pissed off beyond belief. On top of wasting my time I get in an argument with my SO. I hate ebay I am so done. I left him a nasty email too. Why are people so freaking rude?
So sorry it didn't work out. He was probably a scammer and got scared off if you asked to do too much (like go to a bank or notarize). Or maybe just a flake with no regard for other people's time.