Poll: Would you buy a bag if you hated the brand but loved everything else about it?

Would you buy a brand you hate even if the bag was perfect in every way?

• Yes! If I have form and function, who cares about the brand?

• No! If I hate a brand, I wouldn't be able to buy a bag no matter how perfect.

• I'd buy it for now and keep looking!

Results are only viewable after voting.

kai_415

O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Hi Guys:

I went on a "work to school bag" search this weekend because the vinyl Chanel Rock Flap I bought for this purpose doesn't quite work. Anyhow, I searched endlessly and went everywhere (Chanel, Goyard, LV, Neiman, Prada, etc.) but could not find the right bag (price didn't matter too much but the higher the price the more I expected). Finally, I settled on a Longchamps Planetes (the newer version of the Pliage) and a... Dooney & Bourke. :confused1:

I've always liked Longchamps. But the D&B....

The D&B was perfect-- right size, very light weight, well placed pockets, coated canvas (which I really wanted), etc etc. But it's probably my least favorite brand. (Sorry, D&B fans). :sad:

Don't get me wrong, I like brands that are considerably more inexpensive than Chanel-- heck, I love Target but... despite the fact the D&B is perfect in almost every way (and beat all the other bags I saw regardless of price), I am tempted to return the bag just because I hate the brand. Or maybe I could put a sticker on the plaque.

What would you do? Could you buy a bag if it was perfect in every way even if it's from a brand you normally dislike?? Again, this is not a matter of only liking expensive bags-- I'd take a Target bag if it was just right!

Thanks!!

I know exactly what you mean! It has nothing to do with the look of the bag it's self...
Its your feeling when carrying it....
If I were you I'd take it back, because after about one week of using it, you will resent it and it'll just be thrown in your closet!

If I disliked the brand I wouldn't buy the bag no matter how perfect it was. I don't think I would wear it as much if I don't really love EVERYTHING about it. KWIM?

Dislike of the brand wouldn't be a problem for me. Last year I saw a lovely bag by Guess on eBay. Guess is a brand I would not usually buy but I loved this one. However this bag had a defect that was pointed out in pics, so I let it go. Unfortunately I never saw that style at the Guess outlet where I live, and wonder if it was an older model.

If you know it's going to constantly bother you, then return it. As for Target, you might have more luck finding a higher-end designer that has created more affordable bags for the masses, such as Devi Kroell, Perlina and right now, Hayden-Harnett. Instead of $500-$3000 for a tote, you can spend $50 and not care if you get pen or scuff marks! You can also put that extra money away for when you want to buy your next Chanel! As for the Longchamp, keep it-those bags hold up really well!

I put back some bags before because of the brand, like juicy or baby phat, even though I really liked the bag. The problem is you already bought it, started using and you'll probably end up loving it in due time due to it being so functional. It's a tough one, if you take it back you might end up feeling remorse for getting rid of it, then again if the brand bothers you so much then yes return it. Depends on how much your feeling it.

I know what you mean, and I recently did that myself. I normally dislike Dooney bags, but I love their new vachetta leather line. These bags are everything I like: size, rugged-looking; durable; and stylish. The price was right, so I went for it. So far it's been fine carrying it. So I figure there are certain bags from designers I normally like that I don't like, so what's the difference?

have you taken it outside and used it? if so, then keep it...as it is yours and nonreturnable in my mind.

second, D&B has really stepped up style-wise lately in my eyes. there are a few pieces that i wouldn't mind having! their quality is also improving. its also not so expensive that if it gets abused, it wont matter to you.

are you embarrassed to carry D&B? if so, may want to really consider why that is. but, if its a perfect bag except for the label....may want to consider throwing a scarf around that area (so it lays over it) or something similar until you learn to love it :smile:

There are bags from designers I like and respect that are dreadful and ridiculous and I'd never carry, even if I have many other bags from said designer. This, to me, is the same situation in reverse. Would I carry a bag that I hated just because it was from a designer I liked? No. Would I carry a bag that was "perfect" if it was from a designer I normally didn't like? Of course. That bag would have defeated the preconceived notions I had about the brand by being right for me and the purpose I needed it for.

There are bags from designers I like and respect that are dreadful and ridiculous and I'd never carry, even if I have many other bags from said designer. This, to me, is the same situation in reverse. Would I carry a bag that I hated just because it was from a designer I liked? No. Would I carry a bag that was "perfect" if it was from a designer I normally didn't like? Of course. That bag would have defeated the preconceived notions I had about the brand by being right for me and the purpose I needed it for.

Well said. I have discovered designers I had previously ignored, mostly for very odd reasons... One has now become a favorite.

sure! If I didn't have ethical issues w/ the company I would.

Hey! This was going to be my answer! :biggrin:

Honestly, I think form, function, design and usability are what counts for me (and in this situation) so you should keep the bag! You found what you needed so who cares what the plaque or label says? If you try to get a cheaper bag it will simply fall apart and you'll be back at square one. If D&B execs start kicking puppies and making penguin and koala bags then I'd understand why you'd refrain from buying their items. I say keep it, use it and abuse it! ;)

I completely understand what you are saying. There are certain brands I don't even look at because I know, no matter what, they would end up in my closet if I bought them. However, if you will spend time looking for the exact same bag by another designer, I would overlook it and keep it.