Insuring vs. Customs Fees

Do not send to "Friend's"unconfirmed address in US. You will not be covered by PP. IF the "friend" has an ebay/PP account, get her to buy it and send it only to that confirmed address.

If the friend pays with their US paypal address then yes, you will be covered under seller protection. Although it may trigger a paypal inquiry, you'll still be covered. You can also send straight to th ebuyer in Latvia - since October last year it doesn't matter if the address is not confirmed as you're still covered under seller protection, even if you underdeclare -- Paypal never checks that anyway. Just make sure you get signature confirmation and you're all set. IMO insurance is now waste of money because of Paypals seller protection policy.

Another thing which I haven't checked is declaring the item at full insured value but declaring it as a merchandise return/exchange/replacement under reason for sending which in theory shouldn't attract customs.

^Insurance is not a waste of money. If the package gets lost in transit, the seller is responsible for refunding the buyer. Unless paypal has some new policy where they will cover lost packages...

I think Priority and Express Mail automatically provide a certain amount of insurance, but I can't remember what the limit is. Some brands will easily go over the maximum coverage provided anyway.

hmm that's good to know the details, thanks everyone!

I refunded her the money, and told her to let me know if she wants it relisted for her friend can buy it so I can send it to her, she hasn't responded about that. She was really upset that she won the purse, and paid for it, and I "refuse" to send it to her. But, I just can't risk underdeclaring it.
I guess she doesn't want to go through the trouble, so I will probably relist it later this month if she never responds back for certain

lesson learned. : sigh :
thank you everyone for all of your help!

the whole thing smelled fishy.... glad you refunded her! if she really wants it, the only way is to send it directly to her and fully insure it for the amount the bag was won at. no if's and's or but's.

Using Express Mail service automatically insures the item for $100. Priority Mail does not include any insurance coverage.

Yup that's correct! Express Mail includes:

• 3 to 5 average business day delivery to major destinations
• Tracking available
• Free $100 insurance
• Additional insurance available for a fee

Now my question is: Is tracking INCLUDED in the shipping cost? Or is the USPS website simply stating that tracking is available for purchase?