Food Kitchen essentials!

sweetluv

Apr 20, 2007
Hello!

I will be moving out for the first time on my own, and i was interested in knowing what would be the type of kitchen essentials of most value to get me started?

I set up house a few months ago and this is my essentials list:

note: I cook at least 5-6 nights a week and bake weekly also. If you don't cook as much you probably won't need as many items

3 knives – I have a 7” Global Chef’s knife and 2 smaller Wusthofs.
Good pair of kitchen shears – I like the Wusthof pull-apart ones
Set of steak knives – have the Ikea ones right now and they aren't bad.
3 bamboo cutting boards - one for meat, one for veges and one for bread
3 saucepans – small, medium and large, all with lids. Plus 1 large stockpot
3 skillets – small, medium and large. Plus one griddle pan for pancakes, french toast, etc
Spatulas, spoon, soup ladle, turner, slotted spoon, whisk, rolling pin, ice cream scoop, etc
Can opener, fruit & vege peeler, wire cheese slicer,
2 large rectangular baking trays
12 pce muffin tray, rectangular loaf pan, and round bundt pan
Set of measuring cups and measuring spoons
Pyrex glass measuring jug
2 stainless steel mixing bowls – one small and one large
Salad spinner
Stainless steel colander
Box grater - Oxo does a good one
Bag clips - again I like Oxo
Pyrex rectangular glass dishes – I have a set of 3 with lids. Good for baking & storage
Plastic storage containers – I keep both a good set of air tight ones and an extra set of those Glad ones
Set of kitchen scales, an instant read digital thermometer, oven thermometer
Utensil holders, pot holders, tea towels, oven mitts – I like Ikea for these

And appliances: microwave, stand mixer, blender, rice cooker and toaster

I use every single thing in my kitchen and have no useless/regret purchases. As my kitchen grows I would like to add a few more items like le creuset dutch oven, more global knives, pie dishes, etc

WOW!! thank you for the reply!!!! u've helped more than you can imagine =D

now as far as sauces,spices,every day groceries? wat would be your recommendations?

I tend to eat out alot if what i am craving is not available at home, and now that i am on my own i'd prefer to cook more at home....

much appreciated =)=)

I moved into an apartment in September and below is a list of stuff that I have at my place. I usually cook every meal at home, which an occasional dine-out once a week.
(I'm listing things that aren't listed)

paring knife
hand held grater
pur/brita water pitcher

Food staples:
condiments: salt, pepper, oil, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, salad dressing
rice
pasta
canned beans, chicken broth
frozen chicken

And I always keep fresh fruits and vegetables on hand.

spices: basil, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, thyme, etc; I recommend just buying a spice rack from like Costco or something which has everything you'll need and it's cheaper.

I'll add more when I think of more things!

To me, the bare bones that you need to get started are:
- 1 med skillet
- 1 small and one med/large stock pot (big enough to cook a whole box of pasta)
- 1 med size glass baking dish (look for the pyrex ones with the plastic lids.... genius!)
- a couple cutting boards
- chefs knife, paring knife, bread knife (long, serrated)
- grater
- wooden spoons
- spatulas
- flipper
- whisk
- can opener
- scissors
- baking/cookie sheet
- large prep bowl
- measuring cups and spoons

You can build on that once you get in the habit of cooking. After those, my #1 would be food processor. When you cook a lot you'll find yourself saying, "darn this would be so much easier if I had XXX" and once you say the same item a couple times, it's time to go buy it! But with the stuff I listed you can make lots and lots of things.

As for groceries, I always have
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- pepper and salt
- chili powder, cumin, nutmeg and bay leaves are my most used spices- mostly I buy spices as I go
- rice
- a couple shapes of pasta
- flour
- sugar
- eggs
- milk
- butter
- several types of bouillon
- I buy lots of fresh herbs, fruits, and veggies as well as meats and cheeses.... it's all about figuring out what you like to cook and keeping your favorite ingredients on hand!

-i agree with most post, but on cuttin boards i recommend the white plastic ones cuz they are easier to wash and less treatment is required.
cuz in the wood ones they eventually get ruined if u leave them accidentally in water and stuff like that not sure whjich wood but it has happned to me with several i bought.

- knives of 3 different sizes always think meat, veggies and fruits.

- NON STICK cookin pans, dont care if its xpensive cuz if they are good they will stick to you for half of ur life literally, my mom has some oldies but they are soo good we dont get rid off ever! lol .. plz do spend n this it will take away from u a headache.

- like 3 pyrex pans in different sizes if you like to cook bread but if not is always needed anytime! cuz you also bake chicken and turkey.

- a stuff to put the aluminium foil, the towel paper, and the other one that you place it in wall or by cabinets, they are very useful cuz they take out space and mess from the countertop of the rest of the kitchen.

- obviously a blender, toaster/oven works better than a regular toaster cuz you can put different sizes of bread that actually fit i would invest in a good toaster/oven and i wouldnt buy a regular toaster, a stand mixer at least a cheap one cuz the hand one is very complicated if u use it for another mix other than pancakes!

- a place for vegetables like were to stack them the ones that dont need refrigeration.

- microwaves and stove : but if you can use the stoves that only bring the counter top part and you dont see the rest of the stove, one that is like hidden would be way better.
and the rest just comes along!

ps. i hope you understand whre i dont mention the actual name and just description but i dont know how is it called, i have to look at it to know.

thank you! oh my, baking bread! that's a lil too crazy for me right now hehe....take it day by day i guess...one thing you guys have not mentioned though is a rice cooker, very very valuable item for me =) hehe....

and yes i do understand exactly what your saying...i appreciate it =)

One thing I didn't mention earlier was a crock pot. Its super easy to make a large amount of food in these and you could always refrigerate the leftovers and pop them in the microwave when you don't feel like cooking :tup:

if we're talking essentials, here's what i recommend:
- 2 knives A) 6-inch santoku which can be used for anything B) pairing knife
- 1 10-inch fry pan, non-stick
- 1 2-quart sauce pan
- 1 dutch oven, 5 to 7 quarts
- wooden spoons for cooking
- kitchen shears
- 6 wine glasses

Also want to add in regard to spices, if you go to a health store they have bulk canisters of herbs/spices and you can bag what you need. It is so much cheaper then at stores and the quality is very fresh and potent. I definitely notice differences using fresh herbs and spices.

Rice pot I use a lot. Maybe a slowcooker for days you want to cook before work and have something to come home to.

I love multi-use items. I use my rice cooker as a slow cooker and a steamer. Like other posters mentioned, don't skimp on your knives or pans. I have a starter set in anodized steel, but am looking to get a few pieces in stainless.

A couple of other favorites, besides the basics:

-a rectangular colander that adjusts to fit across a sink
-OXO anything! My favorites, I love their cutting boards, utensils, POP containers, and flatware organizer.
-mini spatula and spoonula. Williams Sonoma has them and they're great for getting inside cans and jars.
-mixing bowls of varying sizes.
-a honing steel for your knives. Be sure to match the brand to whatever you have the most of for the best results.
-nesting, magnetic measuring cups, and two sets of measuring spoons. Narrow for jars and regular.
-meat thermometer
-a set of storage containers for leftovers and extras, like Rubbermaid.

I love multi-use items. I use my rice cooker as a slow cooker and a steamer. Like other posters mentioned, don't skimp on your knives or pans. I have a starter set in anodized steel, but am looking to get a few pieces in stainless.

A couple of other favorites, besides the basics:

-a rectangular colander that adjusts to fit across a sink
-OXO anything! My favorites, I love their cutting boards, utensils, POP containers, and flatware organizer.
-mini spatula and spoonula. Williams Sonoma has them and they're great for getting inside cans and jars.
-mixing bowls of varying sizes.
-a honing steel for your knives. Be sure to match the brand to whatever you have the most of for the best results.
-nesting, magnetic measuring cups, and two sets of measuring spoons. Narrow for jars and regular.
-meat thermometer
-a set of storage containers for leftovers and extras, like Rubbermaid.

Good suggestions! I love OXO products, I use their flippers, box grater, dish scrub brush and others regularly. The meat thermometer is also key- ensures that your meat will always be safe to eat but not overdone.
And I agree with you on stainless pots- I can't stand nonstick because you are so limited in what utensils you can use with them and I always forget and just grab a regular spoon!:cursing:

^^Thanks! I'm always tempted to use the regular spoons too! I apparently hoard cooking spoons, so much so that I don't have room in the utensil holder anymore. I love wooden ones, but am afraid to use them so I recently picked up a plastic spoon. It's so cute, it has holes in it like ;).